Gibson Brands Forums

Buckethead - Signature Les Paul Announced!

mcmurray

I use the term "gimmick" where gimmick = not standard.

"not standard" is not recognized as a method, operable file or batch command. And it's not even assigned to a number so I'm not understanding your code there.8-[

I need to go to sleep. I'm getting Java mixed up with command prompt.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spray painting a standard white won't add these features though: Long scale length' date=' ebony fretboard, 24 frets, no inlays, 2x arcade style kill-switches.

Do you think this guitar will be a custom shop model?

[/quote']

Was about to say the same... there's much more to his guitars than just the lame paintjob (IMO its kind of lame, and I dont say it in a bad way, gibsons are suposed to look gorgeous).

I think it should be a custom shop model, it wouldn't be fair for it to be a USA model IMO.

By the way, I have listened to BH and still cant find myself liking it, but I can see how his fans and people that are into that kind of music would think of him as one of the best, it's a matter of opinions, no need to fight over it.

Who needs all that? And an LP with 24 frets?

And most of those mods (with the exception of the 2 extra frets) can be purchased relatively cheaply and/or come standard on a few less expensive models.

IDK, just take a look at the gazillion slash models that have nothing different than a standard (ok, different pickups, case AND price... )

By the way' date=' I have listened to BH and still cant find myself liking it, but I can see how his fans and people that are into that kind of music would think of him as one of the best, it's a matter of opinions, no need to fight over it.[/quote']

Well said mate. I'm glad you gave BH a chance, he's not for you and that's fine with me.

Who needs all that? And an LP with 24 frets?

We didn't need cutaways either' date=' but they sure are useful and functional. As are 24 frets and a long scale - instrument range is increased, and a whole bevy of lowered tunings options become available with the long scale.

It's nice to see a custom signature model, that like Thundergod said, is actually [i']different[/i].

"not standard" is not recognized as a method' date=' operable file or batch command. And it's not even assigned to a number so I'm not understanding your code there.=D>

I need to go to sleep. I'm getting Java mixed up with command prompt.[/quote']Ok, I'll put it to you this way. If it has ANYTHING other than the standard controls (vol, tone, toggle switch) then it's "not standard".

Here's a list of LP "gimmick" guitars:

Dark Fire

Robot

1999 LP Classic

1993 Studio Lite

I don't count the JP model, because he modded his own guitar, but you the jist of what i'm saying. I guess you could just say I'm a traditionalist. And as far as I'me concerned, Gibson should have just kept things the way they were.

Was about to say the same... there's much more to his guitars than just the lame paintjob (IMO its kind of lame' date=' and I dont say it in a bad way, gibsons are suposed to look gorgeous).

I think it should be a custom shop model, it wouldn't be fair for it to be a USA model IMO.

By the way, I have listened to BH and still cant find myself liking it, but I can see how his fans and people that are into that kind of music would think of him as one of the best, it's a matter of opinions, no need to fight over it.[/quote']

^ Truth

Ok' date=' I'll put it to you this way. If it has ANYTHING other than the standard controls (vol, tone, toggle switch) then it's "not standard".

Here's a list of LP "gimmick" guitars:

Dark Fire

Robot

1999 LP Classic

1993 Studio Lite

I don't count the JP model, because he modded his own guitar, but you the jist of what i'm saying. I guess you could just say I'm a traditionalist. And as far as I'me concerned, Gibson should have just kept things the way they were.

[/quote']

dark fire tunes itself and has new pickups and new color...

robot tunes self + different color....

So how can you say that those are gimmicks when so many of the artist models dont vary from the norm as much...

dark fire tunes itself and has new pickups and new color...

robot tunes self + different color....

So how can you say that those are gimmicks when so many of the artist models dont vary from the norm as much...

Exactly! Why do we need guitars that tune themselves anyway? If your too tone-def to tune a guitar, then you should probably be playing the drums! lol

I think my main beef with this subject, comes from the fact that the guitar (specifically the LP) used to be a VERY personal instrument, but with all the technological CRAP that Gibson is shoving in them, there getting a WHOLE lot less personal. Pretty soon they'll just play themselves, and what fun would that be?

Exactly! Why do we need guitars that tune themselves anyway? If your too tone-def to tune a guitar' date=' then you should probably be playing the drums! lol[/quote']

To change tunings on the fly? To quickly tune it in an on stage emergency?

Hey - why do we need cars that propel themselves? If you're too weak to push or pedal them you should probably be walking :-))

DJ

--

i was thinking of getting a used studio menace and refinishing it, lol cheapskate, id love to see the actual guitar,

buckethead literally blows my mind and is a criminally misunderstood musician, i think he deserves a sig if only for his vast and incredibly varied back catalogue.

Its the same thing with Primus, you either get the humour and the sillyness then listen to the music or you just absolutely hate it, miserable bunch!

To change tunings on the fly? To quickly tune it in an on stage emergency?

Hey - why do we need cars that propel themselves? If you're too weak to push or pedal them you should probably be walking :-))

DJ

--

Touche!

The funny thing is, I've actually compared a Robot LP (self-tuning) to how long it takes me to tune my guitar, and guess what? 9 1/2 times out of 10 I was A LOT faster. It goes back to the age old question, what's faster? The brain or the calculator? And we already know the question to that one. Now, if they could figure out a way for the guitar to re-string itself (after a break)? THAT would be great!

I just don't think all this tech that is being shoved into/wasted on these guitars is very "healthy" for future guitarists, because it makes them lazy. One of my BIGGEST accomplishments (when I first started playing) was when I was able to tune my own guitar, and stuff like this robs many people of that feeling, and even though it gives you the option for manual tuning, I believe that more people (especially the younger ones) are more apt to just let the guitar do it, and where's the fun in that? Next thing you know, we won't even have to play them.

Touche!

The funny thing is' date=' I've actually compared a Robot LP (self-tuning) to how long it takes me to tune my guitar, and guess what? 9 1/2 times out of 10 I was A LOT faster. It goes back to the age old question, what's faster? The brain or the calculator? And we already know the question to that one. Now, if they could figure out a way for the guitar to re-string itself (after a break)? THAT would be great!

I just don't think all this tech that is being shoved into/wasted on these guitars is very "healthy" for future guitarists, because it makes them lazy. One of my BIGGEST accomplishments (when I first started playing) was when I was able to tune my own guitar, and stuff like this robs many people of that feeling, and even though it gives you the option for manual tuning, I believe that more people (especially the younger ones) are more apt to just let the guitar do it, and where's the fun in that? Next thing you know, we won't even have to play them.

[/quote']

I would agree...i like tuning my own gee-tar...i'm sure there will be some cool technological innovations that I do like at some point...I mean, come on....would you still want to drive a Model-T? (I would, but only for 5 minutes)

As far as this guitar goes though...I don't see that there is so much different in terms of the technology. The only thing would be the killswitches, which i'm not gaga about anyway....

Anyway, i look forward to seeing what they DO go with on this model...

My balls make better nosies then buckethead...eh at least he doesnt use EMG's..

Go and read the first post. Here's it is for your convenience;

"To those that despise Buckethead (or can't understand music that isn't solely restricted to the blues scale)' date=' stay away from this thread - [b']we don't want to hear it.[/b] We don't need thread crapping especially not for an official gibson product."

a breath of fresh air you are.... <rolls eyes>

Wow, from what I can tell, Only DAS44 equates a mans balls with the smell of fresh air, so you go with ya' bad self there fella!

Anyway, glad to to see Gibson rocking the boat with new modern models for all of these dinosaurs whinning. (speaking of boats, some of them sound old enough to have been on Noah's Ark!!) They can't get past Page, Penatonics, and straight up gee'tar plagiarists..... You can stick with your imitators, and leave the innovators to the rest of us.

They see a Buckethead thread and they come in to unload there colostomy bags on it. Get a life....

So, Thank you Gibson for recognizing Big B for his creativity, his personality, his impact, his dedication, his passion, his fans, and most of all his music!!!!

The man is, and has been for years, "a breath of fresh air" to the world of guitar playing. He awoke my love of the instrument, and I am sure has done the same for many. Too bad the crotchy ole' bastards can't remember back to their younger years and what it was like to be inspired by your favorite guitar player......

I wish both Gibson and Buckethead great success in this collaboration, can't wait to see what they came up with!!!! (I just hope it is normal scale, as I have mere human hands ......)

Message to my fellow Bots: Seek and Destroy... The Humanoid must not escape... Obey my command..... ANNIHILATE!!!

PS: THIS IS NOT ABUSIVE!!!!!

Wow' date=' from what I can tell, Only DAS44 equates a mans balls with the smell of fresh air, so you go with ya' bad self there fella!

Anyway, glad to to see Gibson rocking the boat with new modern models for all of these dinosaurs whinning. (speaking of boats, some of them sound old enough to have been on Noah's Ark!!) They can't get past Page, Penatonics, and straight up gee'tar plagiarists..... You can stick with your imitators, and leave the innovators to the rest of us.

They see a Buckethead thread and they come in to unload there colostomy bags on it. Get a life....

So, Thank you Gibson for recognizing Big B for his creativity, his personality, his impact, his dedication, his passion, his fans, and most of all his music!!!!

The man is, and has been for years, "a breath of fresh air" to the world of guitar playing. He awoke my love of the instrument, and I am sure has done the same for many. Too bad the crotchy ole' bastards can't remember back to their younger years and what it was like to be inspired by your favorite guitar player......

I wish both Gibson and Buckethead great success in this collaboration, can't wait to see what they came up with!!!! (I just hope it is normal scale, as I have mere human hands ......)

Message to my fellow Bots: Seek and Destroy... The Humanoid must not escape... Obey my command..... ANNIHILATE!!!

PS: THIS IS NOT ABUSIVE!!!!![/quote']

Very well said Gizzorge.

Sounds like Gizzorge scared off the hooligans, must be the gangsta name....I like when people give Buckethead credit, even if they don't like his stuff. It shows a confidence in oneself and one's own opinions. I mean, how can ANYONE with ANY guitar knowledge say he sucks and not feel like an ***?

Like what you like, and dislike what you don't....but respect other people's tastes...seriously.

Archived