Gibson Brands Forums

Better Tuners?

Hthomas

Schaller and Sperzel both make top quality tuners. Sperzels have this satin finish I dont like, but they work wonderfully.

Why change the tuners anyway? Are they giving you any trouble? If so then you might want to check how you are installing the strings first.

Try auto-locking the strings... there's a thread posted recentlly in the lounge by deepblue where a guy explains it in video... it really works, I've been doing it for years and have never had tuning issues. It's worth a try.

Look in the lounge, past week's posts, deepblue posted it, I think it was something like "now I can look you in the eye"

I just got a new tusq nut and its been 4 days' date=' at first the tuning would be great. it stayed in tune, now i cant play a whole song without it going out of tune[/quote']

The new nut needs to have the slots cut to the proper size of the strings.

• 2 weeks later...

Two words:

Leave them ****in' tuners alone and take care of that nut, stock tuners are good, in fact they are great, I don't know what's it with most people that buy an expensive guitar and just have to start swapping everything because they read on the net that "you just have to". Even with cheap guitars with cheap hardware it's not a requirement to "upgrade" everything once you've bought the guitar... and if it was, it doesn't make sense to spend 500 on a mediocre guitar and then "invest" 500 or more in making it playable, just go out and buy a 1000+ guitar and be over with it, there are lots of brands and models to chose from.

Again, there's no problem with the stock tuners, klusons work just fine, I've never had any problems with them, in fact I changed the grovers that came in a guitar to klusons BECAUSE OF THE LOOKS and that's the only reason I can find for changing tuners on a gibson guitar. Now if you really think they gave you bad tuners, send the guitar back and they should send you one with tuners that work. If you think all of the tuners they are using are bad THEN SUE THEIR ASSES, good luck with that, their tuners work just fine thank you.

Did I say "two words"?

Two words:

Leave them ****in' tuners alone and take care of that nut' date=' stock tuners are good, in fact they are great, I don't know what's it with most people that buy an expensive guitar and just have to start swapping everything because they read on the net that "you just have to". Even with cheap guitars with cheap hardware it's not a requirement to "upgrade" everything once you've bought the guitar... and if it was, it doesn't make sense to spend 500 on a mediocre guitar and then "invest" 500 or more in making it playable, just go out and buy a 1000+ guitar and be over with it, there are lots of brands and models to chose from.

Again, there's no problem with the stock tuners, klusons work just fine, I've never had any problems with them, in fact I changed the grovers that came in a guitar to klusons BECAUSE OF THE LOOKS and that's the only reason I can find for changing tuners on a gibson guitar. Now if you really think they gave you bad tuners, send the guitar back and they should send you one with tuners that work. If you think all of the tuners they are using are bad THEN SUE THEIR ASSES, good luck with that, their tuners work just fine thank you.

Did I say "two words"?[/quote']

#-o :D :D =D> =D> =D> =D>

Archived