Gibson Brands Forums

I like Journey--So go ____ Yourselves!

Bluemoon

I friggin' LOVE Journey. I used to go watch a great classic rock cover band that played all sorts of good stuff like AC/DC, LZ, etc ... and the lead singer always talked smack like "We don't play no vagina rock!" and would end thier set with Don't Stop Believin'. Killed everytime. Great stuff! The lead guitar rocks and I don't think anyone should be embarassed because thier a fan. And I'm seriously impressed by that new Filipino lead singer they have.

EDIT- And you know who else has a great lead guitar player? ToTo. Seriously. Check it out. w00t!

There is a lot of music I like that probably isn't considered quality stuff. But the thing about music is that it connects you back to your past. I have lot of memory songs that I love. For example...

In the 70s my dad bought a "hi-fi" system. It was state-of-the-art. I was probably about 7. America's "Horse with no Name" was the top single. I had no money so I couldn't afford to go out and buy the single. So I sat next to my dad's stereo for hours waiting for the song to play so I could record it on his tape deck.

The lyrics of that song are terrible. But it has earned a place on my ipod because it brings back a flood of great memories every time I hear it. I think that often gets forgotten in these discussions. It is not always about the quality or the type of music that appeals to people.

There is a lot of music I like that probably isn't considered quality stuff. But the thing about music is that it connects you back to your past. I have lot of memory songs that I love. For example...

In the 70s my dad bought a "hi-fi" system. It was state-of-the-art. I was probably about 7. America's "Horse with no Name" was the top single. I had no money so I couldn't afford to go out and buy the single. So I sat next to my dad's stereo for hours waiting for the song to play so I could record it on his tape deck.

The lyrics of that song are terrible. But it has earned a place on my ipod because it brings back a flood of great memories every time I hear it. I think that often gets forgotten in these discussions. It is not always about the quality or the type of music that appeals to people.

Same for me Blue. It seemed like every summer of my teenage years had a top ten single from America and Wings. Thus I have both bands on my Ipod. Brings back good memories and I like good memories. Now if I could just find my Defrancos album.

I saw Journey over the summer, and I'm pretty damn sure the singer was lip syncing. The music (everything, you couldn't even hear the drums) cut off multiple times during the show, and they kept performing the song and talking to the audience like the music was still going on. The sound cut off during one song, and they finished the song, talked to the audience, and started the next song without the audience hearing anything. The band didn't notice the sound was off, so how in the world could they hear themselves playing? I bet the sound guy got fired that night...

Even if they were really playing, the fact that they couldn't hear a damn thing gave the whole thing a very fake feel.

Needless to say, I've lost almost all respect for Journey.

Nobody here seems to realize (or remember) that Journey had an entire career BEFORE Steve Perry. The post-Santana pre-Perry Journey was HUGE on FM rock radio in the mid-seventies, long before Steve Perry made them rich and famous as a pop band on top 40 radio.

Check out their earliest stuff before Steve Perry ruined the band, it was guitar/organ driven 70's rock at it's best.

Archived