Gibson Brands Forums

'06 LP Studio, "pick in the sound hole"

Riverside

My Vintage Mahagony LP pleases me just fine except:

There's something floating around inside! When I give it shake, I can hear what I think sounds like sawdust/shavings rattling around inside the body behind the bridge.

Now the question - Can anyone suggest a method to coax these out, or do you think they're captured inside one or another "weight relief chamber"?

Should I remove pickups/bridge/stopbar etc. and try to shake it out, or are those chambers sealed?

Might I be hearing pickup wiring banging around in there?

It doesn't effect the playability at all, so I might just try and forget about it, but, well, you know.

Thanks in advance.

I remember hearing this complaint with some of the very first chambered LPs. Complaints of something rattleing in one of the chambers. Someone said that something had broken off in the chamber, and that if it was possible to repair it, it would be a major deal. I do not know if this info is correct, just what I read on a forum.

Do you know if you LP is chambered? Gibson started chambering in late 2006. What month was your guitar made?

The chambers aren't accessible without removing the entire maple top.

th_SNC01974.jpg

Maybe if you removed the neck pickup there'd be a small hole into the chamber.

Thanks - I just tried that, but the only opening visible from the neck pickup is part of the diagonal channel from the switch to the pots.

Besides, I can't seem to shake the bits much past the bridge, even with the guitar pointed head-down. Shoot.

You cannot reach the chambers from either cavity, but you could drill a hole into the control cavity or any of the cavities and that would worsen the problem a lot =D>

There's probably no way around it, but unless you are really shaking the guitar it shouldn't be an issue. I have one swiss cheesed and one chambered lesters and Ive never noticed any ratlings, but then again, I haven't tried shakin' em :D

My 08' Studio VM has the exact same issue but it only does it when rotating back n forth...not when it shakes really. But I don't really care...it's not an issue unless ur jamming with it not plugged in, and shaking the guitar whilst doin so. I just figure its the lil Gibson fairy inside the guitar that makes it sound soooooo good....or ya..its a piece of wood!

Happended with my '08 Fireburst LP Studio too. I got lucky: took the pot control cover off the back & gave it a Hell of a good shake backside down & all the leftovers from the routering fell out. Pretty poor quality control for a thousand dollar guitar from a company like Gibson who make such a big deal about it being made in Nashville, TN...

You cannot reach the chambers from either cavity' date=' but you could drill a hole into the control cavity or any of the cavities and that would worsen the problem a lot ;)[/quote']

If you drilled into the chamber from the control cavity, and had access to a medical-style "sucker," you might be able to get it out.

So, if you or someone you know is a dentist and doesn't mind a slightly different patient...

Do you have a drill press?

If you can control the drilling precisely, maybe you could go in the back side nice and neat.

Get another round cavity cover for the selector switch to close it up when you're done.

Go in the upper side of the body above the control cavity - on the back side.

That would put you directly in the chamber.

If the offending piece is too large to come out through the hole, blast it with compressed air and bounce it around inside the chambered area until it chips and breaks into smaller pieces. That should help loosen anything else that might be ready to break loose as well.

Call me crazy.

Beats steaming the top until it comes un-glued from the body, then glueing it back together.

I would just turn the amp up louder.

=P~/

Got a response from Gibson CS:

Hello' date='

Thanks for writing, and sorry to hear of the issue with your guitar. If you are the original owner with a valid proof of purchase, we would be happy to set up a Return Authorization (RMA), and receive the instrument in for a warranty evaluation. Please call 1-800-444-2766 ext. 1 to arrange your RMA and receive shipping instructions.

Or, if you prefer, I would be happy to set up your RMA and reply with instructions via email. Simply provide your full name, return shipping address, a contact phone number, and the serial number on the instrument. Thank you for the inquiry, and I hope this helps!

[/quote']

So far, it seems like a pretty good CS response. We'll see what happens next.

If you drilled into the chamber from the control cavity' date=' and had access to a medical-style "sucker," you might be able to get it out.

So, if you or someone you know is a dentist and doesn't mind a slightly different patient...[/quote']

That would actually be fun to watch, even if the operation didn't solve the problem:d/

Archived