Gibson Brands Forums

How many Gibson custom shops are there?

drumrnmuzik

Just to explain, I'm very interested in the Gibson ES339. It has a very sweet sound and an excellent Gibson bound fretboard.

On the back of the head stock it says that it's made in the Custom shop but the price is about half of a standard ES335.

What gives? How can it cost 1/2 the 335? And made in the custom shop too? Isn't that the shop for the experts?

Thanks for all feedback.

The 339 is a Custom Shop Guitar. The reason it's so inexpensive is that the price is set based on sales and marketing factors more than on production cost. They're gonna sell alot of 335's for $2,500 to $3,000, based on its reputation. The 339 will not sell for that much, simply because it's a new model.

Just because it says "Custom Shop" on the headstock doesn't mean that they spend twice as much time making the guitar (or at least that's my uninformed opinion). I wasn't happy with my 339 until I dressed up the fretboard and the neck had a chance to get played in.

The 339 is a Custom Shop Guitar. The reason it's so inexpensive is that the price is set based on sales and marketing factors more than on production cost. They're gonna sell alot of 335's for $2' date='500 to $3,000, based on its reputation. The 339 will not sell for that much, simply because it's a new model.

Just because it says "Custom Shop" on the headstock doesn't mean that they spend twice as much time making the guitar (or at least that's my uninformed opinion). I wasn't happy with my 339 until I dressed up the fretboard and the neck had a chance to get played in.[/quote']

This is the best answer yet! Thanks.

I have to admit that the 339 has one sweeeeet fretboard.

Will it make my SG Classic jealous? I know my wife will be +:-@

Anyway, hair aside, I like the idea of getting in on a pilot program guitar like the es 339 seems to be. I've seen it all over utube and looks and seems to sound really sweet. Plus I'd be getting one at a minimum of what a 335 would cost without getting a crik in my back. 335's are heavy suckers.

I have the ES-359. seems to be very similar.. not totally sure what the difference is.

I love it BTW. Sounds great' date=' looks great.. feels great.. but it is easily as heavy as my 'Epi Sheraton' (like a 335)

[/quote']

gold hardware, block MOP inlays, ebony board, grover tuners

Archived