Gibson Brands Forums

Lynyrd Skynyrd - God&Guns

Riffster

I have not been keeping up with their recent albums but a co-worker let me borrow the new album and it sounds just like modern country!!

After listening to the production so I had to read the label and sure enough, recorded in Blackbird Studios in Nashville, the Sound Kitchen in Franklin (1 mile from my office) and Ft Myers, FL.

Rob Zombie and John 5 among other invited musicians...

Skynyrd is on this issue of Guitar World so I will have to read the interview and assimilate this a little better.

I don't keep up with new stuff very well but...

After doing a long interview with a college guitar prof, I think he nailed it: Country is the "new rock" because it still is music people can sing, yet has rhythms for dancing and stuff people can play along with.

Rock ... I dunno where it's gone. But I wonder when my 20-something friends around here listen to the "oldies" station on the radio when they're driving.

But here's a sociological thing to wonder about: Country now seems to have a better distribution and fan communications system in general than Rock has. How much does that, rather than specifically music style, have to do with it?

m

It's all over produced garbage. The country records they are releasing now are no different sonically than the last Aerosmith album or the entire Nickelback catalog. Put it in Pro Tools, rip out the soul, mix it as loudly as you can with as much compression as you can, and master it with as much compression as you can. The reason so many people go back and listen to music made in the 60s and 70s is not because the musicians or songs were better, it is because the records were made with more honest techniques. "Mistakes" were not edited out with the swipe of a mouse.

Got it.

Same issue as the Rory Gallagher feature.

Good reading.

Yea, I am looking forward to read that piece too.

IMO and for my taste Guitar World has doing a better job recently in the mix of stuff they cover and their interviews.

Country music was having a near death experience in the not too distant past, according to those in the know here in Nashville. "The powers that be", fortunately, did not take an ostritch approach, but instead revitalized the music. To me, it seems more of a case of widening what constituted the boundaries of country music. Kid Rock, Jewel, Darius Rucker, Michelle Branch... have ALL been on the country charts now.

I like the new country. I like some of the old stuff, too. If "overproduction" was the tool used to revive country music, then God bless overproduction!

Kid Rock

I like the new country.

Whatever the hell his new "Werewolves of Alabama" song is called' date=' that's the first 'country' song I've heard in years that made me want to shotgun [i']my own[/i] radio. The effect has not lessened with subsequent exposure.

There's nothing that can be said about grotesquely un-original pablum like that except that it sells.

Instead of touring with him, Skynyrd should have sued him and got a restraining order preventing its release.

I liken it to Aerosmith 'embracing' rap for a comeback with Run DMC and "Walk This Way."

The definition of - the very essence of - SELLOUT.

Most of the new country is nothing more than Redneck Bubblegum.

Some cool guitar licks here and there.

No thanks.

I've heard only one song from the new Skynyrd, I look forward to more to see what it turns out to be.

I've always admired Rossington - and Medlocke with his Blackfoot stuff.

Hope I'm not too disappointed because they played it safe and soft with slick pop appeal....

No Ronnie, No Leon, No Allen, No Billy, No Steve, No Cassie (Steve's Do-Wop Sister)= no Skynyrd. BUT, they still got Gary, and Rickey was an original member of the band, and I heard Ed King was back with them for a while, they should get Artimus back, but he won't come back. Sometimes Ronnie's Brother can KINDA sound like him, but it just ain't the same. I still like my Skynyrd though, haven't heard the new one yet.

Skynyrd was it for me as a teenager. Still, to this day, I believe the combination of Rossington and Ronnie were what made the band. Thought you could replace any other member of the band and it would be fine, as long as Ronnie and Gary were there. Isn't so today, because Ronnie is no longer there. Gary is still my all-time favorite guitarist, but without Ronnie's influence, it isn't the same. Still believe vice-versa would equal the same result.

I did enjoy the Rossington-Collins Band, but wasn't the same as Skynyrd (and don't believe they tried to be). Great band though...

It's all over produced garbage. The country records they are releasing now are no different sonically than the last Aerosmith album or the entire Nickelback catalog. Put it in Pro Tools' date=' rip out the soul, mix it as loudly as you can with as much compression as you can, and master it with as much compression as you can. The reason so many people go back and listen to music made in the 60s and 70s is not because the musicians or songs were better, it is because the records were made with more honest techniques. "Mistakes" were not edited out with the swipe of a mouse.

[/quote']

Sign of the Times

When I was younger I wouldnt be seen dead going through the Cheap Sale table in the record shop. It was always full of daggy easy listening crap like Nana Mouskouri, Perry Como or Harry Secombe.

Unfortunately, I now go through them because they often have great stuff like Stones, Deep Purple etc.=P~

I guess I am getting old. But I still have this unnerving feeling about being seen doing it - very tempted to wear a hoodie :D

Sign of the Times

When I was younger I wouldnt be seen dead going through the Cheap Sale table in the record shop. It was always full of daggy easy listening crap like Nana Mouskouri' date=' Perry Como or Harry Secombe.

Unfortunately, I now go through them because they often have great stuff like Stones, Deep Purple etc.:D

I guess I am getting old. But I still have this unnerving feeling about being seen doing it - very tempted to wear a hoodie +:-@ [/quote']

I hear you, brother.

I do have to admit a bit of bias. I just finished reading Geoff Emerick's book on engineering all of those Beatles records and the tricks they used back when multitrack tape machines had four tracks. Having come up in the era before ProTools and Oasis' Morning Glory (the album responsible for starting the red lining trend), my ear fatigue sets pretty quickly. It's the reason I stay away from most major label releases. Before the end of track one I have a headache.

they should get Artimus back' date=' but he won't come back.[/quote']

I heard somewhere that Artimus Pyle was convicted of molesting his own daughters. I don't know if there is any truth to that. Here's what I found on Wiki about it. Sounds like he got f0cked over by his ex.

In 1993, Pyle was arrested and charged in Jacksonville Beach, Florida with sexual battery against both daughters, ages four and eight.[10] Facing a potential life sentence, Pyle arranged a plea bargain with prosecutors to spare the children a trial.[11] He received eight years of probation,[12] and he was entered into the Florida Department of Law Enforcement's "Sexual Offender" database.[13] Pyle explains the motive of his former girlfriend's action. "Three days after I was thrown in jail, not one, but two of her boyfriends moved into my house. She gave them all of my cars. I had four beautiful automobiles. She gave them ten sets of drums that I had collected all over the world. And my home. Brand-new television set, brand new vacuum cleaner, 'cause I had gotten a settlement from Skynyrd and I bought everything for my family."[14] Pyle also claims that he spent nearly $500,000 on his legal defense but soon ran out of money, thus being forced to plead guilty to "touching his children." Pyle then summarizes the story: "This shouldn't have happened. When I left the band, I lost my star status, and that's when she decided to lower the boom. I put a new band together with my son and I was ready to go on. But to this girl, I wasn't a Rock-and-Roll star anymore." Pyle then added that he would have gladly given his former girlfriend all the material possessions and freedom: "We would've separated. I would've taken care of my children. But no, she has to charge me with a charge worse than murder."

Little of this subject matter was covered in the press until November 19, 2007, when Pyle was arrested in St. Johns County, Florida for failure to register as a sex offender. Pyle was acquitted after a jury trial of all three charges steaming from this arrest on Aug. 28, 2009.

Still love the old school Skynyrd though. We cover five or six of the songs.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Actually... <grin>

Over-engineering? Well, perhaps not, but a lot of pre computer stuff was still just as overdone as some of the current stuff. I remember one "rock" star of the pre-beatle era whom they said had to re-record time after time 'cuz he was off key so badly and could never make it thru one song.

Then there were the "country" things of the 50s and 60s with choral and orchestral backgrounds.

And... Wes Montgomery playing with an orchestra behind him - or in front of him - on albums.

The Byrds and their "country" phase. Dylan going electric. Motown's "wall of sound" that was virtually impossible to recreate on stage. Beatles and Stones going off kilter with stuff like the Stones' "Their Satanic Majesties Request" or whatever the name was. All the old rockers seeming to put out recordings of, say what?, Irving Berlin? Jazz chord progressions for country even in the 1950s?

Etc., etc., etc.

Okay, I'm old. But let's face it, individuals change stylistically and bands change and they and/or record companies often make some odd decisions on production.

They have for years.

m

Milod,

I think you are missing my point, brother. It isn't the excessive orchestration, it's the way records are recorded and mastered these days. With a lot of Pro Tools sessions you have editors going in an nudging parts so every note is EXACTLY on the beat. No swaying or swing or soul. Drum corrections are punched in (trying doing that with tape). Fills are edited in like you would cut and paste stuff in Photoshop. Film and video have benefited from non linear editing. Music has not. I have recorded this way and the end result is the most sterile, soulless piece of crap. At the mastering stage they are compressing and red lining the mixes so much it gives the listener ear fatigue. Quiet parts aren't quiet anymore. They are implied quiet.

And I should put a jihad on you for that comment about the RollingStones Satanic Majesty album. IMO that is their best work. Citadel is my favorite Stones song. Same for Dylan's early electric work. Highway 61 is brilliant beyond belief. It's ragged, stripped down Motown/Stax Records R&B. Love it!

Evol...

I guess in ways we're critical of the same stuff but... from different directions.

Yeah, I agree about too much engineering with the computers... My point was in effect that they did all they could along those lines in the "olden days" and woulda done what is done now if they could.

Hey, I bought the Stones record. <grin> My major objection was that there was no way to reproduce the sound on stage with any sort of equipment I could think of at the time. Ditto a lotta that "wall of sound" stuff.

Ditto the orchestral backgrounds - and hey, they messed with timing and speed even with reel to reel. It just hadda be done more judiciously courtesy of lesser technology.

Heck, everybody mouthed their stuff on tv 40 years ago, 'cuz there was no way they could match the record.

I wasn't bothered by Dylan going electric - by then I knew he'd already unsuccessfully tried to get into some rock stuff before he headed east. I did a couple things in a college rock band - positively 4th street and one I wrote that was kinda electric Dylanesque. <bigger grin> OTOH, the electric thing was anathema to some friends who insisted on playing only "pure folk music" which, of course, they never quite to define if pressed.

One problem to me with music - the same with print and web design with different media - is that there seems to be a tendency that if the technology allows it, there's too much temptation to use it whether the use is particularly appropriate or not for the audience.

Frankly the overengineering type of thing even at the artist level is why I find a lotta current music of less interest to me personally than older stuff. 'Stedda occasional use, when every piece has the same effects and little differentiation, it's hard to keep me interested.

I'll admit I'll likely always love a "guitar band" sound as long as I can tell what the players are playing. <grin>

m

I heard somewhere that Artimus Pyle was convicted of molesting his own daughters.

Sounds like he got f0cked over by his ex.

"We would've separated. I would've taken care of my children.

But no' date=' she has to charge me with a charge worse than murder." [/b']

I have some exposure to this sort of madness.

It's called the "nuclear option" in a divorce or custody battle.

I can tell you, getting divorced from a paralegal puts EVERYTHING on the table, anything is possible.

Nothing has to be proven, this is one area where you're presumed guilty as soon as the accusation is made.

This is how women get killed, pulling sh!t like that.

I have some exposure to this sort of madness.

It's called the "nuclear option" in a divorce or custody battle.

I can tell you' date=' getting divorced from a paralegal puts EVERYTHING on the table, anything is possible.

Nothing has to be proven, this is one area where you're presumed guilty as soon as the accusation is made.

This is how women get killed, pulling sh!t like that.

[/quote']

Man, I'd never heard that about Pyle. What a shame.

Archived