Gibson Brands Forums

Thinking about getting a bass

Silverbursted

Anyone have a bass in your arsenal? I've been kicking the idea around for awhile, but really don't know what way to go. I don't plan on going completely to the dark side, so I don't want to step up into the realm of a Ric or other high-enders, but not looking for a Squire either.

I was just wondering what a guitarist would choose for a bass.

Hey there Mr Flyboy.... lol

Look at you on your world tour and still have time to speak with us grounded peps...... lol

I also play bass and do gigs filling in for bass slots in my area' date=' Ibanez makes some killer basses at a reasonable price. I have a earlier version of this bass

[img']http://www.americanmusical.com/ProductImages/Large/57127.jpg[/img]

For the price (369) its a great deal

Very funny!!!

The world tour starts on Monday.

It's interesting the first two basses posted were two of the ones I've been thinking about. I'm heading out to GC today to thump away.

I also play bass and do gigs filling in for bass slots in my area' date=' Ibanez makes some killer basses at a reasonable price. ']

I have to agree with guitarest. I played guitar in the house band for a Gospel festival last week and the bass player was a young guy who happened to play an Ibanez. He was a really great musician, very jazz oriented and the sounds he got out of it suprised me.

Well, just as with other guitars, you'll prolly need/want a bunch of them.

I have Fenders - a MIA Jazz, a '50s classic P, and a Squier fretless Jazz.

I want more. I saw a Schecter Stargazer listed on line - I'd like to see it in person, because it looks like it might be a pretty versatile piece.

http://www.themadape.com/Schecter_Stargazer_4_String_Bass_p/stargazer-4-bass.htm

Im thinkin' about getting a Precision Bass :-

I have an old P-Bass. I played a Jazz when I was working' date=' but got rid of it years ago, (what a DUMB move!), and the P-Bass suites me just fine.

These photos were taken over 40 years apart!

[img']http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac94/DanvillRob/SurferBob.jpg?t=1257013317[/img] BobSquare.jpg?t=1257013170

Bob

Speaking of I love the stargazer guitar' date=' those colors remind me of Ric[/quote']

So what's the deal with the Ric bass tone, Jocko? How is it different from Fender? I like a 4004Ci that I've seen but they say" you'll love it if you love that Ric tone." and I can't remember how their basses sound. Guits, yes but not the basses.

I have an old P-Bass. I played a Jazz when I was working' date=' but got rid of it years ago, (what a DUMB move!), and the P-Bass suites me just fine.

These photos were taken over 40 years apart!

[img']http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac94/DanvillRob/SurferBob.jpg?t=1257013317[/img] BobSquare.jpg?t=1257013170

Bob

Very nice basses, Rob. You still using a pick, I see.

Are you near San Ramon?

So what's the deal with the Ric bass tone' date=' Jocko? How is it different from Fender? I like a 4004Ci that I've seen but they say" you'll love it if you love that Ric tone." and I can't remember how their basses sound. Guits, yes but not the basses.

[/quote']

Listen to "Roundabout" by Yes.

Some players don't like the Rics because they're angular and kind of akward, in comparison, say, to a nice round Jazz Bass.

I love G&L basses. The saddle lock bridges are amazing. I've always had trouble with the saddles coming loose on other basses. There's another company that G&L owns that the name escapes me. They're foreign made but still have the USA made parts on them and they are signifigantly cheaper. "Tradition" or "Traditional" maybe.

I believe you can't go wrong with an Alembic bass. It'll last a life time and sounds amazing!!!

Bought mine in '86 or '87 and have never regretted it. It'll stay in the family for decades to come. I can just imagine my great grand children playing it. Once you buy one, you'll never want to get rid of it. Quality, custom construction.

I have a cheap bass' date=' its best feature is its short scale, at 30" it is very comfortable for a guitar player.

There are also 32" scale bases, before deciding you should try different scales.[/quote']

I say take it like a man; resolve to get at least one of each. :D/

Squier Classic vibes 50's P-bass with the tele neck. Great value for money and it looks cool too. The neck is fat, but the frets are big and it plays fast. I like it a lot. Check it out. It comes in any color , as long as you like Lake Placid Blue.

1 question I would ask myself if I were buying a bass is "Nut width", Don't buy a bass that is uncomfortable to play

EX.

A P bass has a wider nut width than a jazz bass.

The best bass for the money is Ibanez SDGR "Soundgear" bass. The bass practically plays itself and has a wider range of tones than most $300 Basses on market.

I would also look into some vintage basses as well; The Fender "lawsuit" models I.E Hondo, Fernandez, ect...In matter of fact alot of those basses were built in the same factory as Fender, they just couldn't have the same head stock shape. and not to mention all those other companies back into the 1980's like; Peavey, Carvin, Guild ect... Most of those brand were built in the USA and constructed like a tank

I got to spend little time playing around today on an Ibanez, Schecter, Fender and a Gibson Thunderbird. The T-Bird was very cool and sounded really nice, but pricey. The Ibanez SR600 was very comfortable, and had some pretty cool sounds. The Schecter was ok, but nothing to write home about. The Fender P-Bass felt great, and sounded great, but was friggin' huge!!! I guess I'm not that much closer to making a decision; I suppose it will come down to the best deal I can swing.

Thanks everyone for sharing the recommendations.

Archived