Gibson Brands Forums

Grover straplocks? (vs. Schaller straplocks)

Thundergod

Ok, I didn't know these were available:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Electric_guitar:_Strap_buttons/Grover_Quick-release_Strap_Locks.html

Are they the same as these but with a different brand on them (like those that are sold as fender but are made by schaller)

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Electric_guitar:_Strap_buttons/Schaller_Strap_SecurityLocks/Schaller_Strap_Security_Locks.html

Are they the same system? Why does one cost some 2 cents less than the other?[sneaky]

Those are the same as the schallers on my amer. deluxe strat- they lock fine, but they suck to get off! I think the dunlop straplocks rule. I use them on my les paul and my sg. They're so much easier to undo than the schallers. I got the schaller ones as a std feature on my amer. deluxe strat and was blown away by how much a pain in the *** it is to take take the strap off! With the dunlop, it's a simple push in, with the schalers, it's a grab and pull up then slide sideways to get it off. Even though they were free on the guitar, I'm close to buying dunlop locks anyway. I also prefer the ORIGINAL dunlop straplocks to the dual straplock. I have both and the original is smoother and quicker to deal with. Schaller makes awesome tuners though. I've had a set on my early 70's SG since '79 with no problems at all. They're better than grovers.

They're so much easier to undo than the schallers.

...with the schalers' date=' it's a grab and pull up then slide sideways to get it off.[/quote']

And this is a bad thing?:(

I want my straplocks to be secure and to make it almost imposible to take the strap off!:-

Pasted standard reply for Schaller vs. Dunlop:

I've been using Schaller for years and have never had a problem. I do have a set of Dunlops on the strap I use with my SG Junior because the Schallers poke me in the gut since the strap attaches to the back of that guitar rather than the side.

What I like about the Shallers is that they seem like a more secure design. Even if the release mechanism were to fail, the strap pin is still cupped inside the the lock on the strap. With the Dunlops, it's just a pin inside of a tube where, if the release mechanism failed, the pin could slip out.

Schaller:

schalStrpLk.jpg

Dunlop:

bassguitarpartsdirecte354.jpg.jpg

99.94% of touring professionals can't be wrong.

99.4% of touring professionals once used two-two prong cords too.

Just sayin [biggrin]

(For the record I have nothing against Schallers or those who use them. I think they are plenty secure and well-proven. I like the Dunlops better myself. My point is that sometimes an industry standard is the industry standard due to lack of options. Time will tell if a better mousetrap can be or has been built.)

Archived