Gibson Brands Forums

Signature Guitars

Silenced Fred

What makes a signature guitar? Is it the exact specs of the guitar they play? Is it just one that looks like theirs?

I just got to wondering because it seems that a lot of "signature" guitars are just different finishes and aesthetics.

What is it that makes any guitar a true signature model?

[biggrin]

The whole signature guitar thing has gotten way out of hand. Did I read somewhere there's now a Linda Ronstadt model? Martin maybe? Hmmm... I've known about L.R. since the Stone Ponies days and I can't say I have ever seen her with a guitar in her hands. No worse than Sheryl Crow I suppose. Yeah she's hot and plays Gibsons but that doesn't warrant a sig model.

The whole signature guitar thing has gotten way out of hand. Did I read somewhere there's now a Linda Ronstadt model? Martin maybe? Hmmm... I've known about L.R. since the Stone Ponies days and I can't say I have ever seen her with a guitar in her hands. No worse than Sheryl Crow I suppose. Yeah she's hot and plays Gibsons but that doesn't warrant a sig model.

So it isn't just me who has noticed this. [biggrin]

I think it hurts the people who actually deserve one' date=' because it loses its allure because you can't go anywhere without seeing 100 different signature models. I think it used to mean a lot more, but now it just means you have fame, and you (sometimes, and in some cases don't even play that guitar *cough cough* not to point any fingers at anyone [biggrin ) But I believe the whole thing has just turned into more of a "We can slap someone's name on it, put in a different finish and charge double" kind've thing. The only Sig models I want is the John Mayer Strat for the pickups, but I will probably just end up getting a set of those and put them in a Strat, and the Joe Bonamassa sig. I like them because I like em, not because the people's names are on 'em.

So it isn't just me who has noticed this. [biggrin]

I think it hurts the people who actually deserve one' date=' because it loses its allure because you can't go anywhere without seeing 100 different signature models. I think it used to mean a lot more, but now it just means you have fame, and you (sometimes, and in some cases don't even play that guitar *cough cough* not to point any fingers at anyone [biggrin ) But I believe the whole thing has just turned into more of a "We can slap someone's name on it, put in a different finish and charge double" kind've thing. The only Sig models I want is the John Mayer Strat for the pickups, but I will probably just end up getting a set of those and put them in a Strat, and the Joe Bonamassa sig. I like them because I like em, not because the people's names are on 'em.

The value of a signature model is measured by the sales it will bring to the company. They really don't care for anything else.

There only a few signature models that I would like to have. and not Gibsons. Even professionals don't actually mod their Gibsons (well, Buckethead IS an exception...). As far as Strats are concerned, an Eric Clapton sig is trully different and the Eric Johnson of course. ESP makes a lot of them as well, but I would only be interested in a Gus G. signature.

And IMHO, the stressed out / worn / aged / VOS models, are actually the continuation of this thinking. ''I'll rub it and sell it for more! Easy cash man...!'':-$

Sometimes you just need to go for signature guitars, not for the name of the artist but for the specs. I bought my ES-175 Steve Howe signature not for the artist's name, but for the Groover tuners(instead of the tulips)and the zig-zag tailpiece(instead of the T-tailpiece). Both were present at the standard ES-175 but ain't no more nowadays. Why can't Gibson release the basic ES-175 with that beautiful art deco tailpiece...[biggrin]

GibsonES175SteveHowesignature009.jpg

I lusted for a Telecaster for two years in high school because of Roy Buchanan. Finally got a spanking new white one for graduation. As much of a Buchanan freak as I am, I never bothered to buy a Guild R.B. model or that one made in Georgia, the rudely expensive ones, can't recall the brand. The Guilds didn't last long anyway. I heard he put electrical tape over the logo towards the end.

Fred, it's usually small things that make the guitar "unique." Usually, signature guitars have different finishes, tops may resemble the original guitar, pickups, wiring & neck shape. Another thing could be build quality and better materials used...but I don't think it applies to Gibson Custom Shop signature guitars because I can't say my Pearly is built any better than my other historics.

You pay a lot for them, there's no doubt about it but you can't blame Gibson for capitalizing. If Gibson didn't overcharge in the first place, the people buy them would/could flip them for a profit.

What ever makes you wanna buy a guitar with some guys name on it for top dollar.

Because I can. Can you think of a better reason?

Speaking of signatures...

IMG_4644.jpg

I think a lot of signature guitars are cool and I like a ton of them

the main point I was wondering is what makes the guitar a sig?

what are differences in any sigs you have?

I have noticed it generally is a different finish, upgraded pickups and sometimes a different neck style

the main point I was wondering is what makes the guitar a sig?

The name it's associated to.

My Pearly Gates has a serial number that begins with "BG".

That's what makes it a signature guitar.

what are differences in any sigs you have?

Finish, top, pickups, neck shape & serial number. Other than that, mine's a regular 2009.

You pay a lot for them' date=' there's no doubt about it but you can't blame Gibson for capitalizing. If Gibson didn't overcharge in the first place, the people buy them would/could flip them for a profit.

Because I can. Can you think of a better reason?

[/quote']

Honestly here, this is by far the most hilarious excuse I have ever heard / read on absurb pricing! ''We only do that because If we don't, then others will do that and take the profit''! A really good one!

Absurb pricing happens every day on every aspect of our lifes, but I don't believe that you can find a way to back it morally or make it convincing.

Just say it: ''We charge that much because there are a lot of people out there sparing the cash and willing to pay.''

Besides, who really needs an excuse to make good money...? It's called capitalism baby!

Absurb pricing happens every day on every aspect of our lifes' date=' but I don't believe that you can find a way to back it morally or make it convincing. [/quote']

I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure this happened with the Rossington reissues. People bought them and then sold them for a lot more. So, if Gibson sells a signature for (say) $4,000 and people buy them and flip them for $6,000, why shouldn't Gibson just sell them for $6,000 in the first place? Think about it...isn't that what you would do?

Just say it: ''We charge that much because there are a lot of people out there sparing the cash and willing to pay.''

This applies to most everything, not just Gibson guitars. Do you really think a Corvette ZR-1 costs $90,000?

I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure this happened with the Rossington reissues. People bought them and then sold them for a lot more. So' date=' if Gibson sells a signature for (say) $4,000 and people buy them and flip them for $6,000, why shouldn't Gibson just sell them for $6,000 in the first place? Think about it...isn't that what you would do?

This applies to most everything, not just Gibson guitars. Do you really think a Corvette ZR-1 costs $90,000?[/quote']

R9, I see your points.

This already happens to the Tim / Timmy overdrive pedals, as an excellent example. They are hand-made by a truly low profile individual (Paul Cochrane, if I'm not mistaken...?) who asks really reasonable prices for them. The problem is that he keeps them in low numbers and personally hand-made so there are really long waiting lists for them. As a result, those who get their hands on any of any, flip them on E-Bay overnight for twice the price they paid, making the profit.

It is remarkable to see that Paul, although fully aware of the fact, chooses to take ''the path less travelled''. Strangelly enough, but the man speaks with his work and his actions equally and remarkably, as far as I'm concerned.

Needless to say, that choices are there for individuals to follow. Not big faceless multi-million dollar corporations of course..

As far as the 2nd part is concerned, I already mentioned that it happens in the whole spectrum of our financial lives.

I gotta agree with different things for different artists. Some leave it all up to the manufacturer and just put their name on it, and others want to be involved in every detail of construction. It will cost more because the artist will need to get a slice, if for no other reason. They sell because fans buy stuff. In fact, many think you can guage the level of fanatacism by the dollar amount on their pile of stuff. I'm sure the artist does, given nothing in your pile is pirated.... [biggrin]

Lots of famous folks have realized they can cash in with just their name, and why not? We keep buying their stuff... Elizabeth Taylor perfume, Michael Jordan shoes, Slash Les Pauls... big "free" money to be made there, using nothing but their name and reputation as a famous <whatever>. It's the very essence of their business, methinks...

I find that where this whole conversation is going, it kinda gets me thinking

I was just curious because a lot of them just seem to be the finish and maybe change in pickups that person uses

I have no problem with it, I like the John Mayer because of the Big Dipper pickups, and you can't get those anywhere else but on the actual guitar.

Archived