Gibson Brands Forums

Books you Recommend to a friend or anyone.

dem00n

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the sober

1. Rock and Roll : An Unruly History by Robert Palmer. It is the history of rock and roll.

2. Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles by Geoff Emerick and Howard Massey. Geoff Emerick engineered the second half of the Beatles records. Great read even if he has a huge bias toward Sir Paul.

3. Rotten: No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs by John Lydon.

For the NOT sober

1. Hunter S. Thompson: I only recommend two of his books in this order: The Rum Diaries and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

2. Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung: The Work of a Legendary Critic: Rock'N'Roll as Literature and Literature as Rock 'N'Roll by Lester Bangs

2. Twlight series: I read these just to insult all the teen age girls saying its the best book ever so i can insult them and prove to them i read the books...hehe.

You like insulting girls?

What are you... 8? [lol]

Just kidding man...

I would recommend the bible, it's a really good sci fi book/novel. I have read it 17 times in 3 different languajes and everytime it was a great read.

Books are stupid.

My favorites are:

"On The Road" by Jack Kerouac

"The Quiet American" by Graham Greene

"The Martian Chronicles" and "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury

"Rendezvous With Rama," "Childhood's End," and the "2001: A Space Odyssey (yeah, I know, I know)" by Arthur C. Clarke.

"White Noise" by Don DeLillo

The works of Mark Twain (yes, pretty much all of them.)

"Slaughterhouse-Five," "Cat's Cradle," "The Sirens of Titan," and "Breakfast of Champions" by Kurt Vonnegut.

There are more, but those are all I can think of right now. Not quite sober at the moment...

Giantrobot...

Which "Art of War?"

I assume you mean Sun Tzu?

One might consider either Clausewitz or Jomini as having written such' date=' too. Jomini had several with "Précis de l'Art de la Guerre" as elements of a title and translations of both have used "art of war" in one way or another.

JFC Fuller wrote more of the "science" of war although he was a bit nutty into the occult.

And Basil Liddel Hart might have been considered to have one title at least that could be considered "art of war."

Then there's Machiavelli's "Dell'arte della guerra."

Vegetius' "De Re Militari" has similarly had the title translated as "art." It's said the Lionheart carried a copy in his saddlebags. (I always figured William (the) Marshal likely did much of the thinking for Richard, but then... <grin>)

Each of those authors have much to offer.

m

[/quote']

Yes sir, I was refering to Sun Tzu. I've gained much wisdom from this book. Thanks for the recommendations.

I would recommend the bible' date=' it's a really good sci fi book/novel. I have read it 17 times in 3 different languajes and everytime it was a great read.[/quote']

The bible is good.

They could turn book of revelation into a horror movie. or horror clip...

Of recent reads; the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. This is the best case against God I have come across. My classics... I love Luke Reinhart's 'The Dice Man'...WOW!!! Ingeniously written and a real head screw too (not to mention a pleasure[biggrin] )

George Orwell's Keep The Aspidistra Flying is a great study of human nature! Laclos's (sp) Dangerous Liaisons, The Life and Death Of Peter Sellars by Roger Lewis (sound familar?? LOL)

Also for continual reading the four gospels, I wish I knew who the four authors really were!!

Matt

In catholic school they made us copy pages and pages from the bible when we were naughty.

I mean, when are catholic school girls not naughty?! I'm too traumatised to re-read it.

Books are like food and wine to me.

Dostoevsky is like hearty oats, healthy and easy to digest. The Devils is my favorite, Brothers K a close second.

Henry James is like sirloin, dense and delicious. I saved myself for Portrait of a Lady, as if I were a virgin. I knew it was gonna be SO good.

Sylvia Plath is like butter cookies, I think I can eat the entire box but then realize they're heavy. Journals and poems.

EA Poe. I learned to read in English to this man. He's mother's milk to me. When I see a cat and a pen I twitch a bit.

Borges, because we need good wine. Poems in my own language, never forget where you're from.

I will not read anything written after the advent of television (unless its non-fiction), snobby as it might sound. Many modern works taste like blow pops and chewing gum. I'm a bit of a health nut as books go.

Why read Anne Rice when we have Byron and Coleridge?

Izzy... Your own language?

<grin> There is no frigate like a book

To take us lands away,

Nor any coursers like a page

Of prancing poetry.

This traverse may the poorest take

Without oppress of toll;

How frugal is the chariot

That bears a human soul!

Giantrobot -

also if you're into such stuff that much, about anything written by Xenophon.

Mes Rêveries - de Saxe, is more than worthwhile...

for a taste: http://web.archive.org/web/20080205095610/http://www.bellum.nu/literature/desaxe001.html

BTW - My current avatar is as officer of the day in 1867 along the Bozeman Trail.

m

Archived