Gibson Brands Forums

guitar estimation

harmonicchaos

This is a Worn Brown Gibson Les paul Vintage Mahogany. The Guitar was purchased in October of 2007 and was made in January of 2007. The guitar has its original case and owner manual. The case is in virtually in mint condition with only a few very minor scratches. The guitar is in top playing condition and the action is set very low but not low enough to buzz. The blemishes include: some nitrocellulose laquer fading above the pickup selector cavity on the back and a small dent on the middle left side of the guitar where the binding would be on a Standard Les Paul. I'm not sure if this matters but I would throw in case candy i.e. strings, cleaner, strap etc. if it would help the price.

If you guys could give me a price estimate i'd really appreciate it. I don't want to sell it but I settled for a cheaper guitar when i should have saved longer to get a higher-end one. I may end up keeping it if i don't get a price i like.

thanks.

In perfect condition, a used one will be hard pressed to bring 70% of what a new one gets.

Worn or Faded finish is tough, because many people simply will not buy them.

I won't.

Years ago I bought a one year old LP Standard for half of what the new ones cost.

It was hanging in a guitar shop with three other black Standards, and I couldn't tell the difference between it and the new ones beside it.

See if it sells, if not just keep it.

No use losing money on it.

Ask any old timers, they will tell you NEVER sell a guitar because you will ALWAYS regret it!

Even if you get a good price.....

how much did it cost you? i dont think you are going to sell her for more than 60% of that... so, you should consider keeping her and waiting till you can save enough for another... that way youll have a backup.

whats the problem with the guitar anyway? whats the part you dont like? ive heard and read about a lot of people that loves their VMs.

well my problem is that i found a BLACK gibson dove at a really really good price and i can't pay for it unless i sell the vm. the doves are really hard to come by (especially a black one at this price) and i'm extremely anal with acoustics (even more than electrics) and the black dove is an amazing guitar and hard to find. the vm (and the other electrics i like) are easier to get (and pay for list price). i also do regret not getting my dream guitar (even though it was a fair amount more expensive). i really loved the vm at first but once the initial infatuation calmed down i am a bit regretfull. it was my first playable guitar and i wanted one as quick as possible so i could keep learning. for future reference guys: don't settle for a guitar, save for the one that you REALLY want.

i will probably end up keeping the vm, because it has sentimental value (and it sounds and looks really good just not as a jaguar or firebird) and it probably won't fetch the price i want for it.

ok i'm gonna go sit inside sweetwater now and beg them for a job. :D

If you guys could give me a price estimate i'd really appreciate it. I don't want to sell it but I settled for a cheaper guitar when i should have saved longer to get a higher-end one. I may end up keeping it if i don't get a price i like.

thanks.

Dear sir, I can offer you $10. :-)

If your referring to the Dove on e-bay' date=' you should know that's about the 4th time it's been listed, with a lower price each time. I don't know why it keeps getting re-listed, but it could indicate some sort of issue with it.

[/quote']

THANK YOU! okay i'm gonna keep the lp (for now) and save up for a new dove. why do they have to be so expensive?

Archived