Gibson Brands Forums

What do ya get a 5 yr old who wants a guitar?

sjl200

How can you keep a child's interest up if they "want a guitar"

Is 5 too young?

Do you get them a Guitar?

A toy?

A real Guitar?

Who makes a guitar that 'fits' a 5 yr olds hand? thats not expensive[cool]

My first thought was get'em a toy until they get older and demand a real one...

Then a pre-school teacher mentioned that 5 is not to young for real music....#-o

Thank for your thoughts...

Our son asked for piano lessons when he was 4 or 5. My wife who is a music teacher started him "because he had the interest". And he managed okay on the keyboard, although she tailored his instruction to suit his physical abilities -- there is no sense in making it painful or difficult because of a mismatch between the instrument and the player's abilities.

He later "graduated" to more piano, followed by horn, then bass. He is now a very accomplished horn player and bass player.

Suggest you only provide a guitar or guitar-like instrument that he can physically play without frustrating himself. Maybe a 1/2 or 3/4 scale guitar?

Fred

Getting a guitar is the easy part...getting a teacher who will be patient and inspire the 5 year old to learn to play is the harder part. Unless you're just purchasing a guitar for the child to pretend to play...(which isn't a bad thing.) If you're seriously looking to have the child taught to play guitar, then I'd recommend first finding a teacher and then obtaining the teacher's input into what instrument should be purchased...as the teacher may have a preference for nylon or steel strings or a particular instrument that he/she has good experience with teaching a young child. Hope this helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Getting a guitar is the easy part...getting a teacher who will be patient and inspire the 5 year old to learn to play is the harder part. Unless you're just purchasing a guitar for the child to pretend to play...(which isn't a bad thing.) If you're seriously looking to have the child taught to play guitar' date=' then I'd recommend first finding a teacher and then obtaining the teacher's input into what instrument should be purchased...as the teacher may have a preference for nylon or steel strings or a particular instrument that he/she has good experience with teaching a young child. Hope this helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff[/quote']

Chances are low, but I know a great guy who's moving back to Connecticut in the very near future. Not sure exactly where, but I can give you contact info if it helps at all. He's great with kids... he kind of is one.

Assuming you live in Connecticut.

I asked this same question to my music store owner and he suggested a Baritone Ukulele. His reasons were because it is a nylon stringed instrument it is easier on the youngsters hands. It is a four string instrument but they are tuned like the highest four strings on a guitar. Once they are ready to move on to a guitar, they already have the chord shapes down on those strings and it allows them to progress quicker with the six string.

I'm sure many of us have dealt with this question on some level. Me, not with my kids - but with their kids. Don't spend more than you might want to risk on it being buried in a toy chest or left in the yard to be rained on. They do NOT understand or appreciate the difference between laminated faces and Addy Spruce. GMcBrides suggestion is great. Six strings can be overwhelming. A steel string tuned to E is a sure fire way to turn off a child much older. Don't try to teach them theory - go straight for songs they know and like. Easier around Christmas. If they lose interest (normal) try again a couple of years later. G'luck. jim

sji200

I give a 6 year old guitar lessons, here is some of my experience.

1. Usually they will want to pay one song over and over

2. She has a full size guitar and it is nearly impossible to make full chords - like C, although she can do a G, so when first learning had her make part

formation of chords, but now she does full formations when possible.

3. She started with a Hanna Montana guitar - pink

4. Switched to light strings and tuned down a step so she can press on strings and not hurt fingers

5. She picks the songs

6. Children at this age loose interest quickly so play games like try to stump the teacher - see if I can guess the chord(s) by closing my eyes as she plays different chords or what verse is she playing now.

7. Likes to play singing notes which helps with learning notes and chords.

8. She knows the name and position of many chords

9. Like fortyearspickn said about spending on the first guitar, but I will add to make sure the action is a low as possible, if possible to adjust.

10. I am kind of preferential to Yamaha guitars for someone learning as they tend to be well built and sound good for the money.

I'm with G above. A uke is a great starter instrument for a young child. Since ukes come in four sizes ( soprano, concert, tenor and baritone), you can find a size to match the size of the child. Try not to get a really cheap one as it will likely a. be hard to play, b. not play in tune and c. eventually fall apart. Ce

I recall I got my first guitar at 5 yrs old. It's not to early. A small student size guitar of decent quality and tone should suffice. If he's really interested in playing, keep him (her) at it. Try to make it fun. The initial start can be tough; learning how to tune it, chords, etc., is the hard part. Once achieved, playing songs will keep his interest in it. Good luck! When my two sons told me that they wanted to learn to play, it just thrilled me! Kinda rejuvenated me a bit! Enjoy the ride!!!

I asked this same question to my music store owner and he suggested a Baritone Ukulele. His reasons were because it is a nylon stringed instrument it is easier on the youngsters hands. It is a four string instrument but they are tuned like the highest four strings on a guitar. Once they are ready to move on to a guitar' date=' they already have the chord shapes down on those strings and it allows them to progress quicker with the six string.[/quote']

A baritone uke was my first thought as well.

I have the same issue. My 5yo is desperate for a guitar.

He loves School of Rock and therefore wants an SG. " Mint condish!!

Epi do a 3/4 but they are only available in the States it seems - unless anyone knows different.

His brother's Squire Tele is too big (fab guitar by the way) so I'm going for a 3/4. I don't like the idea of a 1/2 size as you have to tune it down a 5th or so, I'm told, to deal with the different string tension, but you can use standard tuning with a 3/4.

I'm probably going with a Squire Strat.

IMO, 5 is not too young. But you have to keep their desire/attention. I have taught children 8-13 but not my own - too many arguements!

It's a bit of a risk. Kids being kids mean that they will move on to the next craze but WTH. Give it a try!

Since I have answered the question I'll throw in my opinion. Put an instrument in their hands as soon as they have an interest. Teach them to play a tune on one string if needed but just teach them and let that left brain, right brain function develop. If you don't give them instruments they will start rapping at age 6 on their own.

+1 ^

If you don't give them instruments they will start rapping at age 6 on their own.

That alone might be be a "new" marketing approach by Gibson![lol]

Thank you all for your thoughts . I too feel that the desire to pursue music , no matter the path , should be encouraged in all children and supported in those who show a specific interest. That said A 3/4 or 1/2 sounds about right for this age.

The uncle of the boy asked me about a appropriate "first" Guitar and "what Guitar?" .

Time will tell if the desire is matched by the determination. I gave both my girls small guitars when they were 4 or 5 and both still play (1 piano 1 guitar) and are adults now. I had a drum when I was 5 and now many guitars at 57 go figure....thank you all... This is a great site...[lol]

Still waiting for my new 'custom shop' tri-burst J-45..... 6 weeks to go!

Archived