Gibson Brands Forums

Does or did Gibson Make guitars in Montana?

daveinspain

All Gibson guitars were made in Kalamazoo Michigan until about 1974 when they opened a factory in Nashville. For a while it was hard to tell where any given model was made because the serial numbers wouldn't make the distinction. A few acoustics were made in Nashville in the early years; most (not all) of the Mark (MK) series. Not sure about others. After 1977 the last 3 digits of the serial number would indicate where it was made; under 500 was Kalamazoo, over 500 was Nashville. In the late 70s and early 80s more and more production was shifted to Nashville. By early 1984 they closed Kalamazoo. From 1984 to around 1988-89 all acoustics were made in Nashville. Henry bought Gibson in 1985 and bought the Flatiron Mandolin Co in Bozeman Montana a short time later, 1987 I think. Soon he had Bozeman making all the acoustics and I think the new factory opened in late 1988 or early 1989. I think there was some overlap in '88 and '89 so it's possible to find a Nashville acoustic from those years although I've never actually seen one.

That's the 'one paragraph' version; the history is a lot more complicated but that's the quickie version.

I think they should open up a plant in Calgary [cool]

Uhhh..... Karen....' date=' either you'd be working there, or you'd be living in the dumpster behind the plant, playing your guitars, and feeding the cats to keep you warm in the cold cold Calgary winters. [blush

Fred

Uhhh..... Karen....' date=' either you'd be working there, or you'd be living in the dumpster behind the plant, playing your guitars, and feeding the cats to keep you warm in the cold cold Calgary winters. [biggrin']

Fred

Fred, you know me too well! [biggrin]

Archived