Gibson Brands Forums

Metal Pedal

Silenced Fred

Anyone know a decent pedal for higher gain sounds? I have a Boss DS-1 and an SD-1, but if I want a more metal-ish pedal, for deeper gain, any recommendations? I have been hearing some decent stuff about the MXR Fullbore Metal, but I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with one. I am going to have to head out to SamAsh as my pickup selector switch has been giving me some issues on my Les Paul :-k

Some are' date=' some are plastic

Thanks?[/quote']

No, sorry, I didn't mean are they actually made of metal. I meant it more like... are they "METAL" dude?

Do metal guys use pedals nowadays? I thought they were for over-driving old school Marshalls and what not... Don't modern "metal" heads have plenty of gain?

No' date=' sorry, I didn't mean are they actually made of metal. I meant it more like... are they "METAL" dude?

Do metal guys use pedals nowadays? I thought they were for over-driving old school Marshalls and what not... Don't modern "metal" heads have plenty of gain?

[/quote']

I guess, but here is the thing, I am looking for it to be versatile, I am not a metal player by any means, but I want to have it available to me when I want it

I play through a Fender made Sunn T50 and the gain on it is mediocre at best, nothing for high gain stuff, I figure a 100 dollar pedal would be cheaper than a metal head and cab :-k

I guess' date=' but here is the thing, I am looking for it to be versatile, I am not a metal player by any means, but I want to have it available to me when I want it

I play through a Fender made Sunn T50 and the gain on it is mediocre at best, nothing for high gain stuff, I figure a 100 dollar pedal would be cheaper than a metal head and cab :)

[/quote']

Gotcha. So you need the "Stack in a Box" pedal? :-k

I've had good luck with the Butler Tube Driver. I can play it through a clean tube amp and get a killer Marshall type tone. However, it may not be metal enough by today's metal standards. I found it killer for NWOBHM type tones.

Does it have an EQ section onboard? Because that is one of the things I am looking for

It has a volume control, a rumble control and a gain control. The rumble changes it from like a dark/deep tone to a light crisp tone. Im not that good at describin stuff but you can search on youtube and see it.

dem00n- i know there are two the metal zone and another one' date=' one has a more loose sound and the other is tighter if that makes sense, do you know which one is which?

surfpup- thanks for the quote?[/quote']

You mean metal core and metal zone?

Zone=80's 90's

Core=today

I have the metalzone' date=' and it's frustrating as hell to get a good sound out of it.[/quote']

/chuckle I think the marketing folks called that "versatile"...

It drove me nuts for awhile, too. Once I figured it out, tho, it's an excellent metal pedal. I'll have to try that one you suggest, tho, and see how I like it. I tried an E-H tube driver last summer that was incredible!

I have the Boss Metal Zone, and yea the "versatility" part of it is laughable. This pedal is one of the best selling Boss pedals of all times and that is to say a lot. My Explorer drives it off the charts which is good.

Double stage gain and noise gate in a single pedal? bring your pinch harmonics...

/chuckle I think the marketing folks called that "versatile"...

It drove me nuts for awhile' date=' too. Once I figured it out, tho, it's an excellent metal pedal. I'll have to try that one you suggest, tho, and see how I like it. I tried an E-H tube driver last summer that was incredible!

[/quote']

It is hard to get a GOOD tone but when you get it...its worth it.

See,that's one thing I've noticed with all those hard core,balls to the wall,smack ya in...you get the idea Stomp Box pedals these days.

No one has to "work" at getting a good sound or getting pinch harmonics. What happened to digging in and using some dynamics? - The modern no-brainer stomp box happened.That's what.

Used to be stomp boxes were used to colour your sound.They were called effect pedals because that's exactly what they were.

Now you just dial in a pre-set and go. No-brainer,no-gainer.

Not saying everyone now only uses pre-sets,but the way things including amps,guitars and whatnot are heading we'll all be slaves to someone's idea of "the sound" in the not too distant future.

Think about it...

That concludes this afternoons b*tch.

I played through a Marshall Guv'nor for a while. It was pretty gainy (is that a word? sorry). I think you'll probably be able to get a good sound with a Boss Metal Zone, but like everyone's been saying, you're going to need to tweak the knobs a bit.

See' date='that's one thing I've noticed with all those hard core,balls to the wall,smack ya in...you get the idea Stomp Box pedals these days.

No one has to "work" at getting a good sound or getting pinch harmonics. What happened to digging in and using some dynamics? - The modern no-brainer stomp box happened.That's what.

Used to be stomp boxes were used to colour your sound.They were called effect pedals because that's exactly what they were.

Now you just dial in a pre-set and go. No-brainer,no-gainer.

Not saying everyone now only uses pre-sets,but the way things including amps,guitars and whatnot are heading we'll all be slaves to someone's idea of "the sound" in the not too distant future.

Think about it...

That concludes this afternoons b*tch.

[/quote']

As stupid as this may sound, I really don't care for metal. It isn't my favorite type of music to play. This is mainly for some songs the band I am in might cover, or I might have to fill in. I want to be versatile.

Will I be a decent metal player? no, will I kind've be able to sound the part, kinda. I know what you are saying, but do you get where I am coming from?

Archived