Gibson Brands Forums

Metal Pedal

Silenced Fred

The Boss Metal Zone was my only distortion pedal for quite some time. Crank the bass, and tweak for a while, and it did a good enough metal for me. Again, just covering a few things, I'm not a metal player. But with enough EQ tweaks, it also gave a reasonably tight British sound. It sure wouldn't by my only/main distortion now, but if you're looking for a metal pedal...

See' date='that's one thing I've noticed with all those hard core,balls to the wall,smack ya in...you get the idea Stomp Box pedals these days.

No one has to "work" at getting a good sound or getting pinch harmonics. What happened to digging in and using some dynamics? - The modern no-brainer stomp box happened.That's what.

Used to be stomp boxes were used to colour your sound.They were called effect pedals because that's exactly what they were.

Now you just dial in a pre-set and go. No-brainer,no-gainer.

Not saying everyone now only uses pre-sets,but the way things including amps,guitars and whatnot are heading we'll all be slaves to someone's idea of "the sound" in the not too distant future.

Think about it...

That concludes this afternoons b*tch.

[/quote']

I think you're talking about some of the modeling and multi-effects pedals. You still have to dial in a tone with most modern stomp boxes.

[off topic]

I have two multi-effects pedals, and yes, I use the presets. SO much faster to swap between tones... and I kind of resent you tossing off my 30+ years of experience as "no brainer" for using them. I most certainly can (and have) dialed in my tone for decades, and I'll not be besmirched for not having to squat and fiddle with my knobs between tunes [blink]

(any visuals conjured by this are not my fault... )

[resume thread]

Seriously... you have a point, for those folks who are relying solely on plug and play devices to achieve their sound are doomed when said device fails during a show, methinks....

The Boss Metal Zone... with enough EQ tweaks' date=' it also gave a reasonably tight British sound. It sure wouldn't by my only/main distortion now, but if you're looking for a metal pedal... [/quote']

Shhhh... this pedal is reknowned for only being able to do metal... let's just keep this to ourselves, shall we?

and oh-by-the-way, if you drop the gain back to around the 8 o'clock position and tweak the EQ (and your amp!) you can get a nice crunchy blues, too.

As stupid as this may sound' date=' I really don't care for metal. It isn't my favorite type of music to play. This is mainly for some songs the band I am in might cover, or I might have to fill in. I want to be versatile.

Will I be a decent metal player? no, will I kind've be able to sound the part, kinda. I know what you are saying, but do you get where I am coming from?[/quote']

Absolutely. You're using it to "colour" your sound.

I think you're talking about some of the modeling and multi-effects pedals. You still have to dial in a tone with most modern stomp boxes.

[off topic]

I have two multi-effects pedals' date=' and yes, I use the presets. SO much faster to swap between tones... and I kind of resent you tossing off my 30+ years of experience as "no brainer" for using them. I most certainly can (and have) dialed in my tone for decades, and I'll not be besmirched for not having to squat and fiddle with my knobs between tunes [laugh

(any visuals conjured by this are not my fault... )

[resume thread]

Seriously... you have a point, for those folks who are relying solely on plug and play devices to achieve their sound are doomed when said device fails during a show, methinks....

[biggrin] Nah,wasn't besmirching you. I just think that for "some" effect users,that the options are not really laid out for them. Some of the pedals,not talking solely about the multi-fx either,just make it too easy to get a sound out of the box if you will. Everyone tends to sound the same to me now. Hi-gain overdriven mess. Generic chorusy cleans etc.

Where's the original sounds?The Allmans,Rhoads,VH's,Morello's,Nugent's do you follow me?...

Sorry if I rubbed a few of ya up the wrong way.:-

A lot of people i know use a distortion pedal and amp gain to achieve a more unique metal sound.

That's a good point. I use an MXR Distortion+, which is commonly referred to as "an Overdrive, not a distortion". However when I put it through a Clean Fender Stage 112 and an Overdriven Fender Stage 100 (gain about 6) simultaneously I get a really thumping distortion with a lot of bottom end. A touch of chorus and I'm "Metal Impersonator Extraordinaire".

If you want that super saturated modern metal sound, I'd go for that Boss Metal Core mentioned earlier in the thread.

Archived