Gibson Brands Forums

Poping from my Boss FDR-1 stompbox

drumrnmuzik

Hi,

I just got a Boss FDR-1 stomp box and I'm using it on an old Pignose G-40.

The FDR-1 is not too bad once you dial in the trem and vibrato, but I get some poping noises from it. It's pretty random but I believe that it pops more on the higher pitches.

Feedback ? Opinions?

Thanks a bunch.

Don't get me started on Ratzo[rolleyes]

Am looking to get a carbon copy in the new year to go with my C5.[biggrin]

Yeah,I never held much faith in BOSS pedals. They never seem to go the distance,especially those crappy little plastic on/off switches they use. I had 3 go on me. Just turned 'em upside down though,which did the trick temporarily.

Hi' date='

I just got a Boss FDR-1 stomp box and I'm using it on an old Pignose G-40.

The FDR-1 is not too bad once you dial in the trem and vibrato, but I get some poping noises from it. It's pretty random but I believe that it pops more on the higher pitches.

Feedback ? Opinions?

Thanks a bunch.

[/quote']

Check your patch cords, connections, etc. I've had good luck with Boss, but admittedly, they're

all older "Japanese" made, versions. I had a similar experience, as you're describing, with a

Marshall pedal, and it turned out to be a short, inside the circuitry. So, if you've tried new cords,

check the input jacks to make sure they aren't moving (loose retaining nut), and are still getting

the pops, I'd take it back, tell them what the problem is, and have them give you a new one....

check it out, in the store, to make sure it's OK...and go from there.

Also, if you're in an older building, with only 2 prong electrical socket outlets (no ground prong),

that (sometimes) contributes, to ungrounded popping sounds...which can be/are quite random.

Good luck!

CB

Hey thanks. I confirmed all the cord and all works fine without the FDR-1, I'll bring it back and try an exchange one. I'm afraid that it just may be the digital effects that are crappy.

It did it a little in the store with a transistor amp, but my Pignose tube amp doesn't forgive any nonsense and really goes crazy.

Hey thanks. I confirmed all the cord and all works fine without the FDR-1' date=' I'll bring it back and try an exchange one. I'm afraid that it just may be the digital effects that are crappy.

It did it a little in the store with a transistor amp, but my Pignose tube amp doesn't forgive any nonsense and really goes crazy.

[/quote']

Does your amp do the popping noise by itself (with only your guitar plugged in)

at any volume, or frequency, or with any other pedals (Boss or not)?

If not, yeah....it's probably the pedal(s). Get and old (analog) Echo-plex, and Fender Reverb.

Way bigger to haul around, but amazing sound(s). ;>)

I love "Digital" convenience, but they ALL...Boss and others (to me), sound "processed," and/or sterile,

even "tinny," etc. to varying degrees. Other's opinions will vary...as always.

CB

Yep, I've got a Boss RC 2 loop and it's cystal clear and really a good box but I'm pretty disappointed in the FDR 1.

I've only got one space left on my pedal board and I wanted to widen the sound a bit. The FDR 1 has reverb and vibrato which are cool together. Just not on this box...

Archived