Gibson Brands Forums

What do you think of buying used and unseen?

Andre S

I bought one of my Yairiis and my SG bass that way and didn't have any problems. I wouldn't by a cheap one that way but the more expensive is probably fine. The "play first" logic starts to fall apart when you consider that a CS or luthier built guitar doesn't have a play first option unless you buy from backstock.

I have be very satisfied with a few instruments I have bought sight unseen off e-bay, etc. It's really just a matter of doing your reseach, knowing/studying the instrument in general, going over the provided photos with a fine tooth comb, and asking the right questions. In fact two of my e-bay purchases (1947 Gibson L-7 and a 1932 Gibson TB-1 tenor banjo) turned out to be greater instruments than I could have ever imagined from the ads and selling price.

I also buy guitars from a local vintage guitar dealer. The vintage dealer guys around the country have kind of an unwritten "shared inventory" system. If the dealer in St. Louis might have a buyer for a guitar a guy in Chicago has, he'll ship it to the dealer in St. Louis for his client to check out. I will give my dealer my "order", and when he finds one, he'll have it shipped in for my inspection, no charge. As most vintage guitar dealers work completely on reputation, these guitars have already gone through two "inspections" before they even get to me for final approval. I have never had to have "my guy" send one back.

OR, have I just been really lucky.

Well I can't even count how many guitars I played before buying the ones I got. So I doubt I could get one that I wanted by buying it unseen. Also, more importantly, I always get them at least 20% cheaper at the HOG in Rochester than any place I've seen on the web. They have been really good to me and now I won't buy from anyone else...

In this case the guitar is an ES 339, really prefer HB's over p-90 ,change from my 335 vs 330 thread.

I've ordered a yamaha C-70 without playing

Gibson les paul studio same story

Martin OM-1 same story,

Line 6 amp

fender super champ amp

I''ve never played, farless seen these in person before I bought them and they turned out to be great. I believe in modding guitars, so I've no problem doing little changes.

What is so different from buying a 339 used ( the highest rating of used only cosmetic defects if any) with a 45 return policy, from buying the same guitar new with the same 45 return policy?

What is so different from buying a 339 used ( the highest rating of used only cosmetic defects if any) with a 45 return policy' date=' from buying the same guitar new with the same 45 return policy?[/quote']

Probably nothing. Is there any fine writing in the return policy though, like buyer pays for shipping?

I understand the point of playing it first for sure but there are some guitars that's not possible to do. I bought my Trussart custom unseen there was only 4 made like it and only 50-60 Trussarts made this year so the chances of finding one to play was zero. the return policy was sound and it was a reputable dealer I trusted. He played the guitar for me on the phone had his tech tell me what he thought of it and we made the deal. Best guitar I ever got out of the box perfect set up amazing tone and killer looks.

I also bought a Traveling Songwriter from MF after looking for one for 18 months it was horrible no tone dead sounding and a ugly finish to boot i had it about 45 minutes before I called to return they were apologetic gave me a return number and even talked me into sending another one that the salesperson had played and said was great. They overnighted the new one and it was great amazing sound and great wood looked like a totally different guitar loved it (sadly so did my daughter she borrowed it for college 2 years ago still haven't seen it again).

some of the scratch and dents and dumb deals have been great also I bought one of the dual pickup Melody Makers from the deal of the day last year spent 189.00 and it was new in box.

So who knows I won't buy on ebay from flakes or unknowns but sometimes the risk is worth it and it usually works out

Archived