Gibson Brands Forums

And so this is Christmas and what have you done?

daveinspain

What have you done this year that was a good?

I was good to my mother. She is 84, lives alone, and has been dealing with chronic pain and depression. It's important to let people know, specially the elderly, that someone cares about them. The worst thing in this world is to be alone and think there is no one who loves you. Let the people you love know you are there for them. Whether it be a visit or a phone call just let them know you care and are thinking of them. Just sayin'...

Any plans to visit your mom over the holidays?

What have I done? Well' date=' everyday, I just make my little corner of the world safer for the millions of road users who also live here. If I get a lump of coal in my stocking, I'll be pissed!! [smile

Yes as a matter of fact I'm going to Boston the 3rd of January... I'm missing Christmas but I'll be home for my mothers Bday on the 4th of January... It's going to be a nice long visit until the 24th of January. I be helping her around the house, mostly making it elderly safe. I have a ski & stay trip to Mt. Sunapee Mt. in New Hampshire planned with my brother and his daughters. Two days of skiing and one night stay. I will also be <cough> picking up two guitars <cough> [biggrin]

We try to do good things all year 'round, but... of note this year: When I was in 5th grade, the folks who lived across the street from me heard I was teaching myself to play guitar and gave me an Audition 6 string electric guitar. That was my first guitar.

audition.jpg

This year, I payed that forward. I found a very talented budding young guitarist who is now the proud owner of one of these:

Andys.jpg

Last I heard, he'd saved up and bought a half stack, and was now the front man for one of the local metal bands.

:-

Y'all have a Merry Christmas!

We try to do good things all year 'round' date=' but... of note this year: When I was in 5th grade, the folks who lived across the street from me heard I was teaching myself to play guitar and gave me an Audition 6 string electric guitar. That was my first guitar.

[img']http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh242/dethvader/audition.jpg[/img]

Now that was a good deed, I wonder if he will do the same in 20 or 30 years? Hey Chan do you still have that guitar?

Now that was a good deed' date=' I wonder if he will do the same in 20 or 30 years? Hey Chan do you still have that guitar?[/quote']

I gave it to my little sister when I left home. I am not sure if she still has it or not. It was in sad shape, though. The neck pup was held on with electrical tape, nary a knob on it... the pg was steel and rusty in spots. (can you tell I'd been gigging with it??)

For the record, that pic is not my actual axe... but that is similar to what mine looked like when I got it.

I think it was a brand sold in Brittain. Woolworth's or their version thereof?

Andys.jpg

A played this one a couple of weeks ago! The super-satin smooth finish neck is probably the fastest I ever played! Absolutely perfect for metal!

As for the topic, I'm spending the first Christmas with my twin sons and I'm only helping my wife feeling less tired! Hey, we didn't even find the time & strength for a Christmas Tree in the house this year, yet it remains very, very special Christmas anyway!

I have had $550 dollars saved up since summer (what's left from my summer job). I was going to buy a new guitar with it recently but I have decided to instead take my girl friend out to a really nice dinner and movie at an IMAX theater. I also spent another $120 on a brand new pair of brown Doc Marten air wair 1460s for my dad. They are to replace the pair he has been using as work boots for the past 15 or 20 years. Trust me, they need to be replaced x] And finally I am going to take my mum shopping as her christmas present and let here pick out what ever she wants.

Onya, Dave, bein' good to your Mama. I had wonderful parents and still miss them everyday.

I'm enjoying everyone else's stories and remembrances. I didn't realize dem00n's Mom was unhappy, though. [biggrin]

This year we got to pass the music blessing along in a few different ways. Our scholarships at the local high school and the University are funded again and providing benefits to 2 music students. And, as many of you know, a couple of young men who work for us and showed some interest in learning to play bass were the recipients of their own Ibanez basses compliments of Mrs. Cruzn and m'self, for their hard work and dedication this past year. I've even given them their first two lessons. Great fun for all of us.

This afternoon we're driving in to Cave Junction to pick up our Christmas Eve Pizza dinner. Honest, Mrs. Cruzn insisted! So, while we're waiting for our pizza we'll drive on down to the Shop-Smart and pick up a couple hundred pounds of cat food for our local shelter. We'll drop in there with the food and a cash contribution on the way home. And we'll stop by the bridge over Deer Creek at Redwood Highway, check to see if the old homeless guy is bundled up by his fire. We have some stuff for him, including a nice hot meal...if he's there and able to eat. If not, we'll leave it for him. Got him a nice, heavy blanket and some wool socks. Poor ol' guy. But he's where he wants to be, apparently. He's been given opportunities to come in and always declines.

Then, back to our warm, comfortable home with its wood cribs and oil tanks full for the winter. Our critters all happy and well-fed and lots of food laid up in the pantries.

We are fortunate and we know it.

Best wishes to all!

I will also be <cough> picking up two guitars <cough> [biggrin]

lol. i shop the same way for others. one stop for them, one for me.

you are right about our aging parents. i've noticed my, until now, very independant mother slipping a little (she's 78). round the clock care is on the horizon. all it takes is one misstep. good to raise this point.

Archived