Gibson Brands Forums

page's pedal?

jefleppard

here it is

Sola Sound Tone Bender

This is the fuzz pedal he is most associated with. Used in studio for the first album for Dazed and Confused, How Many More Times and You Shook Me and on stage from '68 through May '69, possibly early June '69. It does however make a brief appearance at both Montreux shows in August 1971. It was also extensively used pre-Zeppelin with the Yardbirds, the "Little Games" album shows it off quite well as well as many of the live performances featuring Page.

There has been a lot of debate over whether his Tone Bender was actually a stock MKII, or a different circuit put into a MKII Tone Bender casing such as something similar to the Roger Mayer Page-1 pedal which is based on the FZ-1 circuit and was probably used by Page during his session days. Based on responses from Roger Mayer he never put anything into a Tone Bender enclosure or modded a Tone Bender for Page, but did build pedals for Page during his session days. So there's no evidence to back up and FZ-1/MKI suggestion. Every MKII can vary in tone for a variety of reasons so it's quite likely Page had nothing more than an early stock MKII. There's no way to really know for sure unless a gut shot of Page's Tone Bender is revealed.

In a December 1968 issue of the Hit Parader Page briefly discussed his Tone Bender. Thanks to mikezep61 at Royal Orleans for posting the magazine article.

Hit Parader: What's the unusual device you use on your guitar?

Page: It's called a Tone Bender. I had somebody custom make it for me and I get 75% of my sound with it. It's very similar to a fuzzbox, but I can sustain notes for several minutes if I want to. It just has an on and off switch and it also has a fuzzy sound. It's not manufactured at all. A friend of mine made it by hand for me. (Ed note: guitarists interested in buying the "Jimmy Page Tonebender" may write to Gary Hurst, Macaris Musical Exchange, 100 Charing Cross Rd., London, W.C.2, England. the price is around $35.00).

http://wholelottaled.webs.com/effects.htm

Nothing really; he sold it on Ebay and I was the winning bidder. I didn't know that it was being sold by by a rock star or that Chris Poland was the seller; that came up later during some email exchanges after he signed his name. He seems like a cool guy and as much of a gear hound as any of us. The most notable parts are these bits of conversation:

Me: Thanks, Chris, I appreciate it. Are you the Chris Poland who used to play with Megadeth? Have a great weekend! Rich Iavarone

Chris: Hey Rich... Yes I am that CP. But don't hold it against me. Just kidding! Great band and I am proud of my work with the band. Anyway I will get this out in the morning UPS. You will love this thing...I know almost all UniVibe copies sound good but this is "THE" sound. Let me know what you think...Chris Poland

Me: Hi Chris, That's cool that you were in Megadeth; I saw you guys play several times during the "Killing Is My Business" and "Peace Sells" era. Good stuff! Yeah, the ProVibe rocks. I have a Captain Coconut 2 so I'm pretty familiar with the it and wanted to get this one so that I can use a different fuzz pedal with a vibe more conveniently rather than dragging around the CC2 just for fuzz. By the way, Dave Fox is coming out with a new vibe pedal pretty soon, but he's been pretty quiet about the details so far.

Chris: Rich...Got the ProVibe out UPS today...It should arrive Friday.Tracking # is xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Let me know when it arrives.It is insured for $500 just in case somebody drops it in a river or something. UPS is 80% at best. Anyway... I have a CC2 also. I think I like the ProVibe more but Roger Mayer is making a great Vibe with the Voodoo Vibe Jr. I was floored by that thing. I may look into his pedals more. Thanks again, Chris

What Jesse said. I have a reissue and it sounds like *** (and/or I'm not Jimmy Page).

I bought a Fuzzface a long time ago and was not happy at all. I was even more displeased when I opened it up and saw about $15 worth of parts in it after paying a lot more than $15.

the tone bender is definitely the pedal in the floor shot during the movie. can you tell me about the proco rat?

The Rat is an original one from 1986. As a standalone distortion pedal' date=' it's just okay; it's a little fuzzier sounding that most modern distortion pedals, kind of like a more refined Distortion +. Where it really shines is when used in front of an amp like an overdrive pedal; the filter control provides a [b']very[/b] wide range of tone options and is aptly named because it's not like a tone control that simply rolls off treble like on most pedals as it's more like a mid sweep.

here it is

Sola Sound Tone Bender

This is the fuzz pedal he is most associated with. Used in studio for the first album for Dazed and Confused' date=' How Many More Times and You Shook Me and on stage from '68 through May '69, possibly early June '69. It does however make a brief appearance at both Montreux shows in August 1971. It was also extensively used pre-Zeppelin with the Yardbirds, the "Little Games" album shows it off quite well as well as many of the live performances featuring Page.

There has been a lot of debate over whether his Tone Bender was actually a stock MKII, or a different circuit put into a MKII Tone Bender casing such as something similar to the Roger Mayer Page-1 pedal which is based on the FZ-1 circuit and was probably used by Page during his session days. Based on responses from Roger Mayer he never put anything into a Tone Bender enclosure or modded a Tone Bender for Page, but did build pedals for Page during his session days. So there's no evidence to back up and FZ-1/MKI suggestion. Every MKII can vary in tone for a variety of reasons so it's quite likely Page had nothing more than an early stock MKII. There's no way to really know for sure unless a gut shot of Page's Tone Bender is revealed.

In a December 1968 issue of the Hit Parader Page briefly discussed his Tone Bender. Thanks to mikezep61 at Royal Orleans for posting the magazine article.

[b']Hit Parader:[/b] What's the unusual device you use on your guitar?

Page: It's called a Tone Bender. I had somebody custom make it for me and I get 75% of my sound with it. It's very similar to a fuzzbox, but I can sustain notes for several minutes if I want to. It just has an on and off switch and it also has a fuzzy sound. It's not manufactured at all. A friend of mine made it by hand for me. (Ed note: guitarists interested in buying the "Jimmy Page Tonebender" may write to Gary Hurst, Macaris Musical Exchange, 100 Charing Cross Rd., London, W.C.2, England. the price is around $35.00).

thanks for that. good reading.

http://wholelottaled.webs.com/effects.htm

myspace.com/jessenoah.....

which EH BMP did you sell? I ask because in a rash moment of financial need

I sold an early all purple 'Ram's Head', and I now realise I was a fool doing that.

The only ones that sound better to me are those 1st and 2nd triangle knob-layout

ones. I am now thinking about getting a newer/cheaper one - but none seems to

really do what those old'uns did. Wha-choo-fink?

Archived