Gibson Brands Forums

A ''Peter Green'' mod to Les Paul Standards - Faded

Hector Arcadius

IMO' date=' the first vid the guitar sounds much better[confused']

I was thinking the same thing. IDK about "much" better, because they both sounded good to me. But I prefer the first one too.

Great clips though. I really enjoyed watching/listenting to both.

I agree. I liked the sound much better from the first video. Goes to show that you really need to

be Peter Green to sound like him.

Which brings up a point....not a new one. If you hear a tone that really turns you on, and you do your homework to find out what axe and gear was used on that particular song, how much will you spend before coming to the same conclusion as your statement? How much of an artist's tone is in his/her hands?

By the way, Gary Moore, who is hugely influenced by Peter Green, uses BB Pros in his guitars, which are the pick-ups replaced in this video.

Anyway, I have to admit that, IMHO, the mod really gets you closer to Peter Green sound. However, another question to consider is ''do you really want your guitar to come closer to a particular sound?''. Because at the same time, it drifts away from other sounds that you are getting from this one... What I want to say, that BB Pros perhaps do not nail PG sound, but they are great all-around pickups for anything from blues to metal, while the replacements do not sound great for heavier stuff. So, eventually, one always have to bear in mind the total sonic possibilities of his instrument before proceeding to any mods.

Just thoughts...

Other thing that amazed me in this video, is the opinion (of course totally respected...) that the Fadeds are the greatest Les Pauls ever made by Gibson!Wow! That is a statement worth talking about!

By the way' date=' Gary Moore, who is hugely influenced by Peter Green, uses BB Pros in his guitars, which are the pick-ups replaced in this video.

Anyway, I have to admit that, IMHO, the mod really gets you closer to Peter Green sound. However, another question to consider is ''do you really want your guitar to come closer to a particular sound?''. Because at the same time, it drifts away from other sounds that you are getting from this one... What I want to say, that BB Pros perhaps do not nail PG sound, but they are great all-around pickups for anything from blues to metal, while the replacements do not sound great for heavier stuff. So, eventually, one always have to bear in mind the total sonic possibilities of his instrument before proceeding to any mods.

Just thoughts...

Other thing that amazed me in this video, is the opinion (of course totally respected...) that the Fadeds are the greatest Les Pauls ever made by Gibson!Wow! That is a statement worth talking about!

[/quote']

reversed zebra burst-buckers are used in the neck position on my gary moore lp and i gotta say that i prefer them to the humbuckers fitted on my lp 08 standard, the tone is amazing especialy when overdriven, in fact iv'e played many lp's over the years and none match the sound of the GM les paul burst-buckers...i'd pick that guitar over my standard any day! its not just the pickups but the feel of the 50's neck and the weight of it! i swear it's twice the weight of the standard and it just oozes quaility...gary moore AND gibson must be proud :-

By the way' date=' Gary Moore, who is hugely influenced by Peter Green, uses BB Pros in his guitars, which are the pick-ups replaced in this video.

Just thoughts...

[/quote']

Nice post

There is a another way to get that transitory PG tone.... Just take one of your stomp boxes (that isnt designed to be ran through an fx-loop) and plug it through. What occurs is a head-room issue that gives you that disconnected faraway tone.[biggrin]

Nice post

There is a another way to get that transitory PG tone.... Just take one of your stomp boxes (that isnt designed to be ran through an fx-loop) and plug it through. What occurs is a head-room issue that gives you that disconnected faraway tone.[biggrin]

This mod knows his mods [biggrin]

I preferred the modified sound - the low end sounded more rounded and full. To my ears, the first had a slight harshness.

Having said that, I do question the lengths people go to with mods - for instance, it's highly unlikely that Green's LP had 50's wiring. Gibson studied many 1958 - '60 LPs, and all of them had 'modern' wiring.

Anyway' date=' I have to admit that, IMHO, the mod really gets you closer to Peter Green sound. However, another question to consider is ''do you really want your guitar to come closer to a particular sound?''. Because at the same time, it drifts away from other sounds that you are getting from this one... What I want to say, that BB Pros perhaps do not nail PG sound, but they are great all-around pickups for anything from blues to metal, while the replacements do not sound great for heavier stuff. So, eventually, one always have to bear in mind the total sonic possibilities of his instrument before proceeding to any mods.

[/quote']

I agree with you and I think that this mod would put you at a disadvantage if you couldn't attain all other sonic possibilites but you can roll-back the volume on the guitar to get out of the OOP on the LCPG guitars. That aid, the Manalisi pickups are supposed to sound like PAF's.

Archived