Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Newbie

Dom_JEM

just a quick post....

ok, im new to Gibson guitars... im usually an ibanez kind of guy...

im planning on buying a gibson SG standard (09') in the next couple of days and a need a gibson "expert" opinion...

here goes, when reading info on websites regarding the guitar all i read are good things and very little bad things...

so what are the bad points about the gibson SG standard? where it be sound, hardware etc

thanks

I had a standard & did not like the sound--poor balance between the notes, some cut through,some didn't.IMHO. But I play clean--country,blues, old R&R,with just a touch of overdrive. Not one of those heavy distortion metal guys. Swapped it for an '04 '61 RI;much better sound,prolly 'cause the pickups are mounted directly in the wood instead of suspended in a plastic pickguard. If you can pony up the extra kablingy, I'd go for the '61. Seems to everyones favorite,too.

One bad point is you don't own one yet. Go for it

haha true

i mostly want a guitar for blues... the really dirty kind[biggrin] my style is between roy buchannan/gary moore/ angus young (if u can imagine that [biggrin] ) so i want something you can really attack and get an aggresive sound....and with plenty of sustain...

ive tried a few strats but they seemed a little "thin" [confused]

you can find a nicely balanced one' date=' if you're patient and do some testing, in various stores.

CB[/quote']

thats another problem..... im from the UK and we only have around 5-6 gibson dealers.... all around 100 miles away from me.

when i get 1 im afraid t will be off the dreaded internet[crying]

some people do say that SG's can neck dive, i have the suede leather type strap and dont have the problem as the strap kinda sticks to my cloths in a way. otherwise if your not careful when changing strings the tail piece can fall off (this happened to me) and this ended up in me turning the screws holding the bridge and tailpiece on which messed up the action and i ended up with buzz on every fret, but i was able to fix this through trial and error.

otherwise i dont think there is any more problems with SG's, i think les pauls have more sustain due to thicker wood but an SG works great for me and i play alot of blues (e.j gary moore) and alot of rock/metal (e,j guns n roses)

hope this helps,

Larsson

Get a decent quality guitar stand for it (Hercules or the like) 'cause if it falls over it will with 99% probability land on it's back (just like toast landing butter side down) then you are looking at a headstock breakage.

Never ever be tempted to lean it against an amp, even for a short time.

Nothing wrong with the Standard.

If you like a thinner neck and better upper fret access, look at the 61 RI.

A little more money, but worth every penny in my opinion.

You're good either way, but you'll need the suede strap for sure.

Enjoy!

AND DO NOT FORGET TO INSTALL SOME SORT OF STRAP LOCKS!

I had an original '65 SG Special when I was 16 and I let go of it for a split second, the strap slipped off the neck button and BAM! it fell, striking a tuning key and broke the edge off the headstock, down the middle of the tuners!

I almost got sick!

thanks for the advice... i shall invest in some strap locks[biggrin]

ive never actually used them before, on my JEM the hooks are pretty large so straps staying on is never a problem.

someone mentioned the SG 61' RI [lol] .......im afraid i cant afford something like that, my budget is £1000 and the standard is the best SG i will be able to afford [lol]

Well, I'll try this again. <grin>

I've never used a strap lock; but most of my standing play (I sit for most jazz or solo gigs) has been with a heavy saddle skirting strap I made myself that is very thick and the "hole" style is quite strong. Never had a problem with neck dive, either, but... standing I also "wear" the guitar rather high compared to current "rock" practice.

The SG body is a great design that I think works well with about any style.

The guys are correct, though, in suggesting you play before you buy if at all possible. Each will feel different, even in two instruments made consecutively.

OTOH, don't expect a Buchanan sound without some electronic enhancement of sorts. The humbuckers ain't Tele. Also, the neck radius is such that there's more "curve" to the fingerboard on a Fender which is something Buchanan preferred for his left hand technique. Personally I prefer a Gibson neck and find the Fender neck makes for a rather different instrument.

My only wish would be that it had a master volume close enough to the bridge one might use one's pinky finger as Buchanan did to change attack and do some swells...

I don't think you can go wrong with a Gibson SG. The style concept is excellent, it plays well seated or standing, the Gibson neck is what I prefer, especially in my case one of the rather thinner versions. The setup is IMHO far easier than on a Fender as well. It's not a neck breaker as I find the LP to be, yet it can be very warm or get up and bite.

Another SG advantage is that it is incredibly versatile. With the right settings on the guitar, amp and associated electronics you should be able to do any style of music at all. String choice also is important since some styles of playing may require a heavier string and different neck setup.

But the bottom line is that the SG should easily be a lifetime guitar, not one you buy, play a while and trade. Your playing style and musical concepts will change over the years, but the SG body and neck manages to handle pretty much all you might toss at it. I wouldn't even mod it except for possibly a piezo bridge or something along those lines - but only by a pro and only if you reeeeally need it for a do-everything single guitar.

m

Theres nothing wrong with the Standard however I would make sure u play one before buying ' date=' the necks are quite different [/quote']

Quite different from what? each other? or other Gibsons ?

I'd buy a SG Standard site unseen pretty much....obviously with a return option... but I have faith

in the quality. In fact I have a 99 Standard on the way USPS Ground in the back of a semi somewhere out

there right now.

if you go onto GAK, and price match with thomann, he will match that, then ring up and quote the order number, then when he says £xxx pounds, say "is that the best you can do? and he might beat that, ie, i got 100 quid off of my 61 reissue that way

RE: my own belief in playing a given instrument....

Guitars are made of wood. No matter the computer aided manufacturing or whatever, even two are different. Some can be more different than others.

In theory the necks on two guitars even one after the other on a manufacturing line should be the same. They ain't, especially after a degree of exposure to weather conditions, etc.

Ronnie R also is correct on his note that Gibsons and Fenders and Ibanez have different necks. That's why I mentioned the Buchanan references for the original poster, too. I know Fender necks feel almost as different to me as though I'm grabbing a mandolin or banjo instead of one of "my" guitars...

m

Archived