Gibson Brands Forums

Upgrade time!!!

nikko18

So as most of you probably know I have been having problem with my Epiphone LP lately. Well that will soon be a thing of the past! [biggrin]

I have taken it to my friend and luthier Willy and he is fixing up the tuning problem. BUT! He is also doing some more upgrades for me that we talked about. I am really quite excited for this.

I am having him take the neck position pickup (which he made for me) out of the neck position and having him route out a middle position to put it into. Then I am having him make me a P-94 style pickup to put into the newly availible neck position. Cause I love how P-90s sound there! I want to still be able to get a sort of humbucker tone from the neck position though so I am having him put in a blend pot so I can blend the middle position in with the other two pickups. I am thinking that should sound really cool :]

I think the switching will still basically be set up like a regular LP and the blend pot will control with the middle pickup is on or not.

I will also have coil taps on the humbucker still so I can make them single coils. With the P-90 in the neck position I will be able to have single coils in each position so I will be able to get stratty sort of sound too which I like. I especially like the combination of neck and middle position with single coils!

I will also be putting some locking tuners on it for good measure. I don't want it going out of tune at all anymore!

There are two more things I may do to it with my grandpa. The first would be to put black finish on the neck again and the second would be to customize the headstock so it's shaped like a Gibson headstock. Yes it's true. I'm a headstock snob. [blush]

Feel free to quote that and put it in your signature [blink]

Sounds nice Nikko, it's good to see you dropped the other idea, your guitar already looks awesome and from what you've said it has almost everything you wanted in a guitar. On top of that if I remember correctly you had help form a loved one in moding that guitar, did you? So I would keep her and make her the main axe.

Hope we get to see some pics when she's done.

[confused]

Haha yes Thunder the bigsby was a gift from my mum. I was thinking I would probably take it off before trading in the guitar. But what ever, don't have to worry about it now :]

Can't wait to put up some pictures for you guys! I will record some stuff too!

Would one be correct in assuming this is the selfsame Epi of which you said Jan 04 @ 6:43

"So I am probably going to bring it into guitar center and trade for one of the Epiphone slash goldtops"

And now - Jan 05 @ 1:38 - you have decided to get it fixed.

I suspect a number of folk on here have an almost overwhelming desire to go

"We told you so"

but are just too good natured to say so.....

Would one be correct in assuming this is the selfsame Epi of which you said Jan 04 @ 6:43

"So I am probably going to bring it into guitar center and trade for one of the Epiphone slash goldtops"

And now - Jan 05 @ 1:38 - you have decided to get it fixed.

I suspect a number of folk on here have an almost overwhelming desire to go

"We told you so"

but are just too good natured to say so.....

They did tell me so. And I listened. That was the point of posting me ideas on the forum. To get second opinions, and thirds, and fourths. And using these opinions from knowledgeable players most of which have probably been playing way longer then me I would construct a plan on what I should do from there.

After reviewing what my peeps here had said I decided the best coarse of action was to take it to my luither/ tech and see what he had to say. If it was fixable I would fix it. If it wasn't I would trade it.

You see.

Lighten up man - read the original "I'm gonna trade it in" thread.

There's a suggestion in there from Thermionik about fixin' it up.

And that's what you're doing. It's just a light hearted dig at you.....

.....you posted that you were going to trade it in for an Epiphony Splash fer pity's sake!

Yah had a narrow escape there man. Now take yer ribbin' like a guitar player.

Damned tootin' right I see. I see thin skinned sensitive types gettin' touchy over nuthin'. Pshaw.

Nick

If you like the sound to begin with then customising is great fun!!

Here is my heavily customised Les Paul studio. I bought it with a broken neck for about $370 and got the neck fixed, bound the body, set it up, changed the tuners, stripped the neck and then got a personalised truss rod cover and pick guard. As Simon (Flight 959) will attest too, it plays great.

It cost a total of about c.$600

It weighs in at a hefty 11 and a half lbs and is one of my cheapest yet favourite axes. Nothing beats making things personal[cool]

DSC00310.jpg

Matt - he ain't so much "customising" it, as fixing it.....

.....it wouldn't stay in tune for even a single song.

Originally he was gonna trade it in for a Slash geetar,

but a bunch of forumites said "fix it - don't chuck it"

And, bless his little cotton socks - HE LISTENED !!

Lighten up man - read the original "I'm gonna trade it in" thread.

There's a suggestion in there from Thermionik about fixin' it up.

And that's what you're doing. It's just a light hearted dig at you.....

.....you posted that you were going to trade it in for an Epiphony Splash fer pity's sake!

Yah had a narrow escape there man. Now take yer ribbin' like a guitar player.

Damned tootin' right I see. I see thin skinned sensitive types gettin' touchy over nuthin'. Pshaw.

Haha you miss interpreted me. Easy to do when you're just reading text. I'm still sorry it came across that way though. It wasn't supposed to come across as angry or anything. Hahaha me thin skinned or sensitive xD

I'm like the opposite of that, it is quite hard to get me angry about anything :)

This makes no sense to me - you get your guitar in and out in less than a week, but people are on here all the time talking about how they haven't had their guitar in months, for something simple like pickups or tuners.

On the occasion that I do a repair for someone, I generally have it back in a week, and I'm going to class, working 10 hours per week at the radio station, and fitting in whatever time I have in the studio... the only exception, obviously, is woodwork or finishing.

It seems like for someone who makes a living by working on guitars, they'd move a lot faster.

This makes no sense to me - you get your guitar in and out in less than a week' date=' but people are on here all the time talking about how they haven't had their guitar in months, for something simple like pickups or tuners.

On the occasion that I do a repair for someone, I generally have it back in a week, and I'm going to class, working 10 hours per week at the radio station, and fitting in whatever time I have in the studio... the only exception, obviously, is woodwork or finishing.

It seems like for someone who makes a living by working on guitars, they'd move a lot faster.[/quote']

Well it is taking longer then a week now. The mail is backed up or something like that and the parts haven't arrived yet. I should be getting it back next Tuesday when I go in for a lesson.

I don't understand how it could take months to do this though? That is crazy Dx

Well it is taking longer then a week now. The mail is backed up or something like that and the parts haven't arrived yet. I should be getting it back next Tuesday when I go in for a lesson.

I don't understand how it could take months to do this though? That is crazy Dx

Think about it. What's the guitar to luthier ratio in your area? Are there a LOT of luthiers and good, qualified techs? When I had my Benavente built about 11 years ago now, it took a little over a year to get it. Anything besides building a new guitar, I gotta go to Medford, 50 miles from here, to go to Steve Spalding. For me, there simply isn't anybody else...so I wait however long they say I'll wait.

Archived