Gibson Brands Forums

What is everyone's take on THIS?

Ian Martin

Looks like Holy Crap.

NO WAY! I JUST PRE-ORDERED IT!

Just kidding. But yeah, it LOOKS like **** and Morten said how could it sound much better?

This is coming from a guy who has owned a Reverse Flying V.

This is FUGLY, Gibson!!!

The design is new. Very arrow looking. It's always a matter of taste. Could be it sounds just fine with the ebony board and all. A variation inthe sonic qualities of a V. The price is a bit steep for a faded V with only one pu and a luxury fretboard. But I doubt the stability of the construction so I'll have to try it before even considering buying.

good guitars from gibson are between $600 and $1,000 (flying V faded)

the rest are "extras" , that is up to you if you want to give more money to gibson for design, finishes, signature series etc...

I would have concerns about strength, stability, and sustain. The big wholes would tend to create a less rigid body structure wouldn't they? Not an acoustical engineer, but I would tend to think that would make it more prone to oscillation and oscillations that might rob the strings of sustain. No doubt intended for folks who are going to use it with higher gain settings where that matters less and where weight might be a point of complaint. For what it's worth, I love my poiinty gutiars but that one doesn't really appeal to me.

Cool or not, I hope they're using rejected body wood on these; otherwise, it is a waste of good wood to shape a body and then cut so much out of it. Given that the good woods are fast disappearing, using the good stuff on these would be almost criminal in my mind.

I also have to add that this really seems to say that Gibson is stretching to come up with new guitar ideas at this point.

Ignatius

good guitars from gibson are between $600 and $1' date='000 (flying V faded)

the rest are "extras" , that is up to you if you want to give more money to gibson for design, finishes, signature series etc...[/quote']

Hey tsol--

I really have to disagree with you on this. Changes in the tonewoods, the fretboard, etc. can add money quick but also can make a HUGE difference in sound; they aren't just "extras" but make real concrete differences in sound.

The numbers you mention don't mean much for Gibson hollow-bodies, semi-hollows, or acoustics. Those Gibson guitars typically only start getting good at $1500-2000 these days. I'm not saying that there aren't cheaper ones that are great, but I am saying that the clearly and consistently good ones cost a lot more than you are saying above.

Ignatius

I read somewhere many years ago that drilling holes in a solidbody shouldn't affect the sound. But with such a big hole between bridge and neck I have serious doubts about the stability of the construction as such.

Tell that to Eddie VanHalen with his Ibanez explorer copy that he cut the notch out of, then tried to "fix" to get the sound back.

Archived