Gibson Brands Forums

i know you're here...

S t e v e

Steve, not to knock on Vai at all, but this style just leaves me sorta wondering when something's going to happen. Now, I admit I've never gone outta my way to learn anything about Vai so I'm gonna sound pretty ignorant here but I'm used to that. ;) My question is do guys like this ever actually jam with anyone? There's no questioning his ability, and I'm not. I just wonder how much fun it would be to play that stuff pretty much exclusively.

(and I wish the camera would stay on his hands) LOL!

Thanks for posting the clip, man, it's all good. [cool]

My question is do guys like this ever actually jam with anyone? There's no questioning his ability' date=' and I'm not. I just wonder how much fun it would be to play that stuff pretty much exclusively. [/quote']

Not to knock these guys, they are great at what they do, and god knows I couldn't do it, but they kind've paint themselves into a corner. He is in his own place and it is hard for other people to be there with him, if that makes sense. I was pretty surprised by Satriani's ability with Chickenfoot to lay low and work the rhythm guitar on songs.

His guitar work is phenomenal, yet does nothing for me. Not trying to be offensive.

Not to knock these guys' date=' they are great at what they do, and god knows I couldn't do it, but they kind've paint themselves into a corner. He is in his own place and it is hard for other people to be there with him, if that makes sense. I was pretty surprised by Satriani's ability with Chickenfoot to lay low and work the rhythm guitar on songs.

His guitar work is phenomenal, yet does nothing for me. Not trying to be offensive.

[/quote']

I am not there - but wish I had that dexterity. I guess Hendrix did it for me with all the experimentation licks and such. There will never be another. I have to have harmony and melody. Maybe that is old school, so be it.

Not knocking him, but I bet Yoko could put some lyrics to this. Don't hate me Steve. That is where he took me. That's all. Ok, maybe the Yoko comment was a little harsh, but not directed at you friend.

A thought I just had.

I feel the same way about Pink Floyd as many people here feel about Vai. They are great (I do like David's playing) but they've just never done it for me. The only PF song I've ever listened to that I am like "yeah! I love this song" is Brick in the Wall. All the other ones I just don't really like.

Haha every one is always like "What!?!?! How can you NOT like Pink Floyd!?!?!"

You're a kid.

Pink Floyd is not from your generation.

You're entitled not to like it.

Me?

As a child of the seventies, I'm supposed to be a huge fan.

I'm not.

I'm okay with most of the stuff from Dark Side Of The Moon to The Wall, the rest is lost on me.

Gilmour is a killer player though, I like his stuff.

On the other hand, Vai is a killer player and I really don't care for anything on his solo albums.

His stuff with DLR was cool, but I wouldn't call it timeless.

And yes Fred, Satriani really surprised me with the Chickenfoot album.

Great disc with lotsa straight-on Rock and Roll - and minimal Guitar wizardry/gimmickry.

A thought I just had.

I feel the same way about Pink Floyd as many people here feel about Vai. They are great (I do like David's playing) but they've just never done it for me. The only PF song I've ever listened to that I am like "yeah! I love this song" is Brick in the Wall. All the other ones I just don't really like.

Haha every one is always like "What!?!?! How can you NOT like Pink Floyd!?!?!"

I once read a post where a person made a similar comment about Jimi Hendrix. Man it got ugly... and funny.

As is Neo, so am I of the 60's - 70's. Just learned Wish You Were Here (rhythm side). A fun little ditty to play as is Sweet Home Alabamar. (doodle doodle do da da da vs. doodle do doooo do do do dum...doodle duum - can ya hear it?)

Their music was somewhat condescending (no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun....) to others and sometimes to me just in your face...depending on what the "flavor of the month" we were enjoying. But the simple melodies etc. etc. would grab you/us. (The additions to the melodies would take us elsewhere...hehehe.) My wife being of the early 80's said they were to spacey. Vai is very talented - but seems to me he is playing to hear himself play, which is ok. I do it all the time in my house. I wish I knew scales like he does. I bet one day he pulls a great song out of them. Ok, that may have been harsh. Just the same....maybe I missed the starting gun with Vai!?! Oh No!

That did it for me. Not Plants pants, just the guitar playin. I remember wearing those type jeans... hated answering the questions from my parents as I would leave out on Sat. nites though... Dad - "son...just what are you trying to attract with those jeans?" Mom - "how can you breath in those pants. I thought I threw those away. Go take those off. Not now Mom - but a few hours from now..."

That did it for me. Not Plants pants' date=' just the guitar playin. I remember wearing those type jeans... hated answering the questions from my parents as I would leave out on Sat. nites though... Dad - "son...just what are you trying to attract with those jeans?" Mom - "how can you breath in those pants. I thought I threw those away. Go take those off. Not now Mom - but a few hours from now..."

[/quote']

Plant's pants are irrelevant. That's some damn good music, if you ask me. [crying]

Plant's pants are irrelevant. That's some damn good music' date=' if you ask me. [thumbup']

You would have to have been there - The pants and the music when it was new...it was some damn good music in more ways than one. [unsure] (That did it for me was a good comment, brought back good memories. [confused] )

Archived