Gibson Brands Forums

Man! Gibson stole my idea.

gearbasher

About 3-4 years ago, I gold-topped my Guild DV-52. I had never seen an acoustic gold top. And so, I thought I had the only one in existence. Now I see Gibson did it to the J-45: http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-Gibson-J-45-Goldtop-Limited-Edition-Gold-Top-J45_W0QQitemZ380195308111QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item588568024f

A few months ago I picked up one of those Connecticut tupperware models, a 1979 with 30 years worth of nicotine stains on the white top. It also had a horribly repaired crack. I bounced around many ideas for a refinish and a gold top was very close to the top of the list. I ended up airbrushing jaundiced white onto the crack and I'm happy with it. Even Ovations earn patina.

I think a J200 would look screamingly delicious in a gold top with dark stained b&s a la Les Paul. Didn't I see one somewhere? Or was that just the 70s coming back to haunt me?

I can't imagine it hurting the tone. It wouldn't be adding much to the thickness of the finish.

Well, when I gold-topped my Guild, I purchased the paint from The Guitar Reranch. After being told the gold top wouldn't look good on an acoustic (they said the grain will show too much), I did it anyhow. If I remember right, this was the recommended procedure (which I followed): two coats of white primer, 5 coats of the gold misted on (laying the instrument flat and letting the spray fall on it), two coats of clear finish misted on like the gold (this is to keep the gold from running), then three coats of clear, applied normally with light sanding between them. And a final buffing. So, the finish was rather thick. But, the guitar sounds great.

Archived