Gibson Brands Forums

Possible Fake ?? ES-335

CajunBlues

It has the wings on the headstock, which I have not seen on any counterfeits yet. It's hard to see on my laptop here at work, but it looks like the ends of the frets have the bit of binding over them which fakes don't have. May just be a bad Gibson inlay.

The more I look at the logo, the more I think it's a fake... But the more I look at everything else, the more I think that's wrong...

Another thing is that you'll notice in the f-hole there is that shrink-wrap plastic around the lead wires... So, the pickups may not be original... If it had 57 classics in it and it could be proven, I may change my tune...

TG is right don't let a bad logo fool you. I have a 335 and yours looks good to me.

I doubt a fake would have number pointers and such a nice figured back.

My only concern would be the length of the pick guard, It looks more like

a Custom then a reissue.

Last night I was able to observe a headstock logo on another 335 from 1988 (same time era) that looked the same as this one... And the owner proved to me that he had 57 Classics in the axe...

It's final... This guitar is NOT a fake... I'm convinced... Very strange how the logo could look that different... Maybe the logo went through some changes in the late 80's early 90's ???

Archived