Gibson Brands Forums

actors/actresses go musical

Izzy

When a musician gets in on the acting gigs it has gone okay in the past, sometimes even well.

The other way round? Give me examples of both good and bad cross overs.

I want to know if they suck mostly or actually rock.

The good: Juliette Lewis and the Licks....I like it >.>

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

The bad: Don Johnson

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufWFQRzpzWU[/YOUTUBE]

Did you follow that Billy Bob Thornton thing while it was going on? There is an interview on YouTube where BillyBob would not discuss anything to do with his *former* acting career. It was such an uncomfortable interview. And to be honest, the particular CD that they were promoting at the time was not all that good, imho.

There's the Bacon Brothers too. My mom liked them but me..... not so much.:-k

Then there's the Bruce Willis thing, and the Russell Crowe thing......

Actually for years and years - perhaps centuries - to be an actor presupposed a degree of musical ability as well.

The silent motion pictures offered opportunity for many who weren't. That ended rapidly when "talkies" were invented and suddenly people could hear what those actors sounded like. A lot of actors rapidly went unemployed.

I think in ways "Broadway" still offers a degree of combination of "actor" and "musician."

Unfortunately, perhaps, one aspect of a huge and fragmented marketplace, I think we've gotten more performers who are rather specialized.

I'm reminded too of "Actor" Peter Coyote whose voice is frequently heard as narrator on documentaries. Pete was equally well known in college, at least, as a musician. I've a hunch once one has a "name" and a "voice," it may be a better way to make a living as an actor than musician. That doesn't stop you from being as much a musician.

Ditto dancers, etc.

But then... Sheesh, I'm talking about people at least as old as I am, and of many who are much, much older.

The heyday of the Hollywood and Broadway "musical" actually had some good musicians as well as excellent vocal fakery by ghost-singers dubbed into film. Harder to do on the stage, obviously. <grin>

m

Mostly bad' date=' have you heard "My girl wants to party all the time" by Eddie Murphy??? I rest my case[laugh']

I dunno.. Eddie did SOME good stuff...

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I'd rather golf to be perfectly honest with you... LOL.

Yeah?

Well how many actor/actresses got a Gibson Signature model?

http://www.gibson.com/allaccessfeatures.aspx?aliaspath=/zTrash/AllAccess/Kiefer%20Sutherland_%20The%20Gibson

All together now - WTF?

[wink][-(#-o[blink][angry][huh][biggrin]

There is an interview on YouTube where BillyBob would not discuss anything to do with

his *former* acting career. It was such an uncomfortable interview....

Yeah, I saw that when it aired on the news.

What a colossal pr!ck - even for Billy Bob...

Yeah?

Well how many actor/actresses got a Gibson Signature model?

http://www.gibson.com/allaccessfeatures.aspx?aliaspath=/zTrash/AllAccess/Kiefer%20Sutherland_%20The%20Gibson

All together now - WTF?

[wink][-(#-o[blink][angry][huh][biggrin]

Yeah' date=' I saw that when it aired on the news.

What a colossal pr!ck - even for Billy Bob...

[/quote']

Wow I had no idea Keiffer S played guitar?[angry] I must have missed that the first time around. Yeah BillyBob was so rude in that interview it made me cringe. If memory serves the interviewer handled it pretty well.

Another musician dabbling in acting is Dwight Yoakam, who turned out to be a really good actor. And he sure looks good in his, er, guitar.[huh]

Nothing new...Cher did/does it, J-Lo does it...whether or not you like their music/acting, is up to you,

but they've both had successful careers, in both areas. Jamie Fox, is another actor, that does well

musically!

I think it's pretty common, for artistic folks to, at the very least, dabble in many forms.

Some, obviously do better, than others...but, it's not suprising, really.

CB

...and the Russell Crowe thing......

Hahaha...[wink]

He's a laughing stock here.

A true story for you - read on.

Nothing at all wrong with self promotion...as long as you've got something to promote.[biggrin]

Anyway,what about Frankie?

EDIT re. Frankie - sorry,read the OP wrong.#-o

milod

Great response bringing up old talent.

Back when Clark Gable sang Putting on the Ritz, back when you had to be a triple threat to survive.

I am an old soul, I think EG Robinson when I think gangster *chuckles

Now days...oh, don't get me started >.<

I think the other way round works best for famous people.

A singer can step into a role and become an actor, pull it off WELL once and they can atleast say, "i did it, and well."

You are forgiven one or two bad movies if you did something right.

When you make music that is YOU, not a role...its something you're claiming completely and though it might be a persona, it is YOUR persona. I think that is why it is harder to go from making movies to making records.

Any thoughts?

Actors who sing well and don't bother to make records: Gweneth Paltrow, Meryl Streep...all I got for now ^^V

Beatles?

Monkees?

Wait....

Nevermind.

:)/

Well in the realm of rock movies Hard Day's Night is considered the best by many and the one by which all others of that genre are measured. Most reviews at the time were calling The Beatles the new Marx brothers. Pretty high praise for four twenty somethings from Liverpool.

Funny no one has mentioned Elvis. I remember my parents taking us to see his movies at the drive in when I was a little kid. Most were awful but man I always wished life was like that. Whatever the situation Elvis had a song to sing right in the middle of it. Driving a race car, riding a surf board, having sex, well I'm not sure about that one the movies were always G rated.

Funny no one has mentioned Elvis. I remember my parents taking us to see his movies at the drive in when I was a little kid. Most were awful but man I always wished life was like that. Whatever the situation Elvis had a song to sing right in the middle of it. Driving a race car' date=' riding a surf board, having sex, well I'm not sure about that one the movies were always G rated.

[/quote']

Elvis was a singer first, actor second. That's likely why he wasn't mentioned.

[biggrin]

milod

Great response bringing up old talent.

Back when Clark Gable sang Putting on the Ritz' date=' back when you had to be a triple threat to survive.

I am an old soul, I think EG Robinson when I think gangster *chuckles

Now days...oh, don't get me started >.<[/quote']

James Cagney, Mickey Rooney, The Marx Brothers, etc. etc.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tqnck4SRD4&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

On the other hand Hutch from Starsky and Hutch?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9BqB-EqJok[/YOUTUBE]

Izzy....

I dunno... I think also of Burl Ives.

No question in my mind that the old school actors were quite versatile, and so were "musicians" of the popular sort.

There's quite a bit of theater in music, but nowadays I think there's far less music in theater.

How, for example, does one categorize Bob Hope? Danny Kaye? Most politicians with any musical ability at all? I think a lotta that's theater.

I've a buddy now who plays a bit of guitar or bass quite smoothly and sings well; made his living on the road as a musician for years but... calls himself and thinks of himself as an "entertainer" rather than musician.

I dunno.

m

Archived