Gibson Brands Forums

Analog Delay

EVOL!

Anyone here have analog delay in their arsenal? If so, what pedal are you using. Any recommendations? I was looking at the Memory Man Deluxe (gotta snatch them up now before the NOS chips they use runs out) and the two Maxon pedals: AD-9 and AD-999. I have an OD808 so I am very familiar with Maxon.

My sound needs a good shot in the arm and I think analog delay is the thing to take me to that next sonic level. I have never used delay, but a lot of my favorite guitar players like Stephen Malkmus and Lee Ranaldo have used it a lot in their recent recordings.

Anyone here have analog delay in their arsenal? If so' date=' what pedal are you using. Any recommendations? I was looking at the Memory Man Deluxe (gotta snatch them up now before the NOS chips they use runs out) and the two Maxon pedals: AD-9 and AD-999. I have an OD808 so I am very familiar with Maxon.

My sound needs a good shot in the arm and I think analog delay is the thing to take me to that next sonic level. I have never used delay, but a lot of my favorite guitar players like Stephen Malkmus and Lee Ranaldo have used it a lot in their recent recordings.

[/quote']

I use a DOD 585-A pedal. Since I've had it for almost 30 years, it might be hard to find at Guitar Center...but maybe on ebay. I use it for voice, along with a DOD Stereo Chorus, (ANYTHING to cover up my crappy voice).

I have a 70's MXR Analog Delay (A/C powered, green box) that is a great sounding pedal. You can get some really wild sounds out of it.

Since I don't use any pedals anymore, the MXR, and all my other 70's/80's pedals are for sale to a good home.

I've got an old DOD Delay pedal that I recently took off my pedal baord and replaced with a new BOSS DD-3.

I just play guitar, was the old DOD Analog or Digital? Is the new BOSS Digital?

Not too big on electronics, more mechanical minded...:-

Nevermind, I just looked at a picture of my retired delay. It says Digital Delay. See latest post below.[blink]

I also have a old DOD pedal; those things were built like tanks. Except I lost the battery release panel but its nothing that duct tape can't fix.

Yeah... they are... I still have the original boxes my delay and chorus boxes came in.... warranty cards, electrical schematics, etc.... and I use them relatively often, (I don't really play gigs that often anymore).

I have other DOD pedals, but I got them from my cousin, and they have no boxes, etc.

I don't think I paid much for them either.... I think it was like $35 each.

You know they have meds for those who save boxes from 70's effects pedals; and pretty soon it will be like a real medical condition like P.A.D' date=' O.C.D and finally all the other new things Pfizer can invent.

I did this as a joke.

[/quote']

I still have some of the boxes from some old DOD pedals. In fact, I still have two non-working DOD pedals that I keep for sentimental value. Plus the DOD Delay (still works) that I just retired.

I think I'm on enough meds though..[lol]

You know they have meds for those who save boxes from 70's effects pedals; and pretty soon it will be like a real medical condition like P.A.D' date=' O.C.D and finally all the other new things Pfizer can invent.

I did this as a joke.

[/quote']

I AM on meds...only now it's Lipator and Tagamint!!

I have a 70's MXR Analog Delay (A/C powered' date=' green box) that is a great sounding pedal. You can get some really wild sounds out of it.

Since I don't use any pedals anymore, the MXR, and all my other 70's/80's pedals are for sale to a good home.[/quote']

How much for the MXR Analog Delay? You can send me a private message if you do not want to post the price here.

Anyone here have analog delay in their arsenal? If so' date=' what pedal are you using. Any recommendations? I was looking at the Memory Man Deluxe (gotta snatch them up now before the NOS chips they use runs out) and the two Maxon pedals: AD-9 and AD-999. I have an OD808 so I am very familiar with Maxon.

[/quote']

I have a Boss. I can't remember which one though. It's been a while since I plugged it in. I use hints of it in some setting my POD XT live. A little bit of delay mixed with either chorus or reverb. Or all three. To make it sound like I'm playing in an opera house or something. I have always been happy w/ Boss pedals back when I used them. I tried DOD and Digitech but they never suited me.

I have a 70's MXR Analog Delay (A/C powered' date=' green box) that is a great sounding pedal. You can get some really wild sounds out of it.

[/quote']

I have that same delay, and it died on me last October, I loved that sucker.... [cool]

I love my XT LIve but I purchased a X3 Live a few months ago and it slams the Xt Live with available options if you actually gig like click on Wah for every patch that does not have to be programed for wha ahead of time.

What kind of rig do you play the X3 through? I only use my XT live through my Spider solid state for recording and previous directly to a PA. I have never tried it through my stack though.

Depends on the venue' date=' from just one Trademark 60 (Tech21) to a 5150 with 2 Marshall 1960 cabs. I love the instant on/off with the wah. Out of the near hundred patches possible I use 6; a bank and a half. 18A-19B. Going from really clean with optional on/off tremolo to really heavy with optional flanger. My two odd ball patches include my own Floyd patch and a really aggressive heavy patch. I could email a few of the xt live patches to ya; but be warned I purchased all add-on sound packs. So if you don't have those amps it might not work.

[/quote']

So do you use the gain from the head and other FX from the Pod? Or do you use a clean channel and distortion from the Pod? I don't want to take away from the tubes. That's the only reason I have not plugged the XT to my stack.

I have a good old Ibanez AD-80, it seems to be last forever...killer sounds from rockabilly slapback to Pink Floyd.

Maxon AD-9 and Ibanez AD-9 are very close each others, good pedals both.

I tried out some time ago Ibanez AD-9 and I like it.

AnalogMan pedals may be also worth check out.

I used to use an Arion Stereo Delay back in the day...

My band's bass player has one of those Arion's. He gets some of the coolest sounds I've ever heard from a delay.

I've got an MXR Carbon Copy and I love that, but I've been thinking about getting an Electro Harmonix Memory Boy. One feature that I really like about the Memory Boy is you can plug in an expression pedal, and change the delay time as you're playing. -It's not like a tap-tempo though. Rather, it sounds the same as if you reach down and turn the Delay (rate) knob. It makes for some neat outer space type sounds.

Archived