Gibson Brands Forums

What Overdrive Pedal?

jrsdws

Ok...the kid loves his new Dual Terror and 212 cab. He was jamming with friends last weekend and a buddy had a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. This thing was LOUD. Well I got to checking out the entire rig and noticed he was using a DigiTech Hardwire Overdrive pedal the entire time.

Well you guessed it. Now the kid wants an overdrive pedal.

I picked up a Barber LTD today and it really drives the amp, but he wants something with a more crunch...more grit...whatever you wanna call it.

He liked how it sounded better with his Boss DS-1 after the overdrive.

Would we be well served to take the LTD back and get the Barber Direct Drive? Would this provide what he wants a little better?

He doesn't play metal...far from it. Him and his buds play everything from Van Morrison to The White Stripes to Joan Jett. If they like it they play it so versatility is key I guess. If he had to be categorized I would put him into a "classic rock" category.

Please make mention of any other overdrive pedal recomendations also. As a reference, the Barber is true bypass and runs $120. I don't want to spend any more than that.

The only way to answer that, is to take him with you, let him play HIS guitar, into a similar amp, with

the various Distortion-overdrive pedals, available, and let HIM choose it. Will save you a lot of time

and money, in the long run. Plus, as fickle as kids can be, about such items, 120 bucks seems a LOT,

when it may not be necessary, to spend nearly that much. If you want to spend that much, look at

some "Fulltone" or "Keeley" products, too. But...everyone has their Favorites, or "absolutes!" ;>)

Good hunting!

CB

The only way to answer that' date=' is to take him with you, let him play HIS guitar, into a similar amp, with

the various Distortion-overdrive pedals, available, and let HIM choose it. Will save you a lot of time

and money, in the long run. Plus, as fickle as kids can be, about such items, 120 bucks seems a LOT,

when it may not be necessary, to spend nearly that much. If you want to spend that much, look at

some "Fulltone" or "Keeley" products, too. But...everyone has their Favorites, or "absolutes!" ;>)

Good hunting!

CB[/quote']

+1.

charlie brown is exactly right.

However, if I can make a recommendation, may I suggest the Lovepedal Eternity?? The latest version is the E6. It's a little more than you want to spend ($229) but damn, it is an amazing sounding pedal. You absolutely can NOT go wrong with the eternity. Many people consider it the "holy grail" of overdrive pedals.... the E6 is designed to have a little more gain than the earlier versions, so idk if thats what your son is looking for or not. I have the "Burst" version of the pedal from a few years back, and even on my POS solid state amp it sounds great. I can only imagine how amazing it would sound with a real tube amp.... especially a high-quality tube amp like an Orange amp. [cool]

I imagine that the Eternity would sound very, VERY tasty through an orange dual terror.... mmmm [cool]

http://proguitarshop.com/store/overdrive-pedals-c-6/lovepedal-eternity-e6-p-1385 (there is also a video demo on the page)

The only way to answer that' date=' is to take him with you, let him play HIS guitar, into a similar amp, with

Good hunting!

CB[/quote']

+1.

charlie brown is exactly right.

However, if I can make a recommendation, may I suggest the Lovepedal Eternity?? The latest version is the E6. It's a little more than you want to spend ($229) but damn, it is an amazing sounding pedal. You absolutely can NOT go wrong with the eternity. Many people consider it the "holy grail" of overdrive pedals.... the E6 is designed to have a little more gain than the earlier versions, so idk if thats what your son is looking for or not. I have the "Burst" version of the pedal from a few years back, and even on my POS solid state amp it sounds great. I can only imagine how amazing it would sound with a real tube amp.... especially a high-quality tube amp like an Orange amp. [cool]

I imagine that the Eternity would sound very, VERY tasty through an orange dual terror.... mmmm [cool]

http://proguitarshop.com/store/overdrive-pedals-c-6/lovepedal-eternity-e6-p-1385 (there is also a video demo on the page)

Gave the Barber DD a quick run through and liked it much better than the LTD. He is off to jam with a group of friends for the night so it will get a good work out. He is running the dirty channel of the Orange on full gain...the DD pedal adds tons more grit...character...and sustain. We'll see how he likes it after jamming tonight. My bet is it's a keeper. He has lots to learn about setting his two channels for switching back and forth and adding this OD pedal now.

I will try to mention some that come into mind, in the price range you mention:

(yes) Barber Direct Drive

MI Audio Crunch Box (which I own)

Fulltone OCD (for slighly more)

Lovepedal AMP 50 (already mentioned)

You cannot go wrong with any of the above mate. And if I may (this aint spam!), check out:

www. proguitarshop.com

for prices and lots of videos, so you can get an idea. Good luck.

I once was using a fender hot rod deluxe and I ran it on it's clean channel (super clean). I then used my Ibanez TS9 and cranked the tone and the drive knobs and had the level at around 10 oclock. This got me a really good overdriven tone that I really like but was not quite what I want. So I through in Hardwire tube overdrive I borrowed from a friend (Unfortunetly I don't remember the sittings) and turned that on with my pedal. I had the hardwire setttings definitely lower then the ts9 for sure probably with all the knobs around 6 or 7 oclock. The tone was god like! Perfect even! With my neck position I could just get these perfect smooth overdriven tones. With the neck and middle I would get something like SRV but even smoother sounding. With just the middle it sounded very Clapton like and if I rolled the tone all the way back it sounded like that one Mark knopfler song Money for Nothin. All the positions were great! By the way, I was using a strat incase any one was wondering :-k

So anyways, my point to this is the I think Hardwire pedals kick asss!!!!!

based on the stuff he plays, the TT should have more than enough gain. if anything, buy an EQ to use as a boost for leads. i have the regular TT combo. all i have to do is set the preamp gain to about 1 o'clock (or less even) and the volume to 3 o'clock. and if i keep it on the 7 watt setting it's even nastier.

Archived