Gibson Brands Forums

Playing in a band

Bluemoon

I couldn't give two shakes of piss dribble if your in a band or not. Not everyone wants the hassle involved ether. Being in a band is a pain in the a$$. I was lucky enough to do it for 25 years I had the ability to do it and still work being a stage hand and roadie for much of the time. It's not for everyone and if it was there would be way too many band competing for the same gigs. There are already too many. I now do it for me alone and love it just as much.

HAHAHAHA.... funny that you "hide" the word "***" but don't hide "piss dribble"!! (and at my age, two shakes ain't gonna cut it anyway!)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't help how other people view gigging guitar players' date=' that's their own issue to deal with. I'm just stating my opinion.

[/quote']

My response was not intended as an attack. I'm sorry if it was perceived that way Rich! Your opinion is indeed valuable!

+1000 [cool] Used to have a band' date=' but now have a wife & kids. Marshall ain't going anywhere...[/quote']

Ya know.... I have a "70's model" Dual Showman amp. It will do EVERYTHING I want it to do...but it's just too dang big to haul out to the family room to just putz with... I tend to use my newer Bassman, (not tubes), 'cause it's smaller, (both are on casters), or one of my smaller amps.

I play for my love and enjoyment of it these days. The brief time I was in a band trying to get something started out showed me what was up

in regards to making a living from it. Lucky I am real good at being a carpenter, painter and home repair handyman that is self employed.

If I had tried to make a living in a band I would be in prison for strangling an idiot band member probably.

Can someone send me the guitar player's manual that said that in order to qualify as a musician and a "real" guitar owner you have to gig? I don't think I received my copy.

My feelings are if you can play the opening lick to Day Tripper' date=' you can sit in with me and my pals[cool']

I'm in a band but we do a HELLUVA lot more practicing (and some drinking) than gigging so I'm what you'd call a casual gigger. We do what we do just because we enjoy it; we all have good jobs so money isn't the motivation, just having a good time is what it's about for us.

"He's got a daytime job, he's doin' alright"

Tell ya what. Sometimes I feel like getting rid of mine. I'll send them your way' date=' that way you have 3 wives & 8 kids. :) [/quote']

I don't think I'd want to know anyone who had 3 wives and ate kids. I suppose you couldn't blame 'em, though, that's a lot of mouths to feed.

Archived