Gibson Brands Forums

Beatles songs you do - on an acoustic

albertjohn

I'm in kinda a similar situation...

And I'm thinking about using the 12 and Hide Your Love Away.

I never was that beatlie, myself, but....

I'd say any of their stuff would make it with the 12 - and I'd do it just with stuff I know enough words to that they're kinda second nature...

m

I'm in kinda a similar situation...

And I'm thinking about using the 12 and Hide Your Love Away.

I never was that beatlie' date=' myself, but....

I'd say any of their stuff would make it with the 12 - and I'd do it just with stuff I know enough words to that they're kinda second nature...

m

[/quote']

I prefer to play that on on the 6 string when solo. I tend to have quite an aggressive strumming style on the 12 so things can get rather mushy if I'm not careful. I think less is more on that particular song but there are, of course, no wrong answers here. If you're not too heavy with the strumming, a 12 will work great.

Here Comes The Sun, for me, is a must on the 12 string though.

The Beatles on Ed Sullivan are the reason that I wanted to play guitar in the first place!! Once I got past the basic Mel Bay stuff and could figure a few things out on my own, I started playing "Day Tripper" and have been playing the Beatles catalogue ever since. With each album I bought, I would try to figure out the songs.

When I was teaching my daughter how to play the guitar a dozen or so years ago, the Beatles were the songs that we could both agree on playing. Flash forward to Christmas 2009 and under the tree I find the gift from my now adult daughter is the "Beatles Complete Songbook". So give me a little more time and I will be playing all of the Beatles songs!!

The Beatles on Ed Sullivan are the reason that I wanted to play guitar in the first place!! Once I got past the basic Mel Bay stuff and could figure a few things out on my own' date=' I started playing "Day Tripper" and have been playing the Beatles catalogue ever since. With each album I bought, I would try to figure out the songs.

When I was teaching my daughter how to play the guitar a dozen or so years ago, the Beatles were the songs that we could both agree on playing. Flash forward to Christmas 2009 and under the tree I find the gift from my now adult daughter is the "Beatles Complete Songbook". So give me a little more time and I will be playing all of the Beatles songs!! [/quote']

What a great present.

If you are in North Essex on March 13, you're hired!

Seriously, what songs would you do?

I'm usually pretty gentle on the 12. Some flatpicking on something like "hide your love away," but usually fingerpicking. I'm not close to Leo Kottke's class, but something similar to what he does on the 12.

Then again, there was a lot of that kind of pickin' on 12-string guitars when I was a kid of 18-22. Then it kinda ended with "rock" overtaking the folkie thing.

m

Seriously' date=' what songs would you do?[/quote']

You know, I was so excited to tell everyone about the Songbook, I didn't actually answer your question.

[cool]

Anyway, two that I figured out years ago and still enjoy playing are:

"Here, There and Everywhere" which I think has already been mentioned and,

"Getting Better" which has always been one of my favorites and is fun to play.

At one time or another, all of them.......

Which one I play regularly that would be,

And I Love Her

Anytime At All

Because

I Call Your Name

Every Little Thing

For No One

Golden Slumbers

Here Comes The Sun

I Want You

Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite

Lady Madonna / Eleanor Rigby (a medley)

I'll Follow The Sun

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

A Day In The Life

In My life

Let It Be

I'm So Tired

Good Day Sunshine / Getting Better / Golden Slumbers (a meddle)

Things We Said Today

Something

Penny Lane

No Reply

And Mother Natures Son

Before the split:

Don't Let Me Down

You Won't See Me

I Want To Tell You

Act Naturally

After the split:

Jealous Guy

Too Many People

Give Me Love

It Don't Come Easy

Just heard and learned:

Grow Old With Me

A real sweet tune that would have been

a great record. Imagine.

Being a mad Beatles fan way back in the 60s, is the hole reason i first picked up a guitar.. i just HAD to

learn to play these songs, but it was hard work.. ther was no 'tab' or computers ect to help you, even the music

sheets were wrong?

But.. i got there in the end, and play 90% of them i suppose and they sound awsome on my J200!

I like georges music of late, and one of my favorites has to be "Long Long Long" this song has it all..

good cord structure, good solo bits, and a brilliant bridge & ending!

I play it with a capo on the second fret...

Love it!![-(

I find Beatles music endlessly fascinating. I always wanted to play these songs but every songbook you bought had the most obscure and unplayable chord shapes I'd ever seen. I finally realized the songbooks were taking the music, transposing to piano and then showing the chord shapes from the piano chords for guitar. Most of the songs by the Beatles were written on guitar not piano and many of them are capo'd in other keys and have altered tunings.

I never knew this as a kid and found it totally frustrating and impossible to play some of my fav Beatles songs on guitar. For example, "Yesterday" is played and written for guitar tuned one full step lower. When you play the chords tuned one step lower, the whole song is a cakewalk with familiar first position grips. So if you're looking at a Beatles song or chord book, flip to "Yesterday" and if it doesn't indicate the guitar is one full step lower in tuning and show a G chord as the first chord (not an F) then forget about buying the book.

The key to playing the Beatles songs the way they were originally played is three fold for me:

1) the internet allowed for finding guitar tabs at least closer than the songbooks

2) finding a songbook that gets the chord voicing and tuning correct - best ones "The Beatles Complete Chord Songbook" and, of course, "The Beatles Complete Scores".

3) the four volume DVD series "The Beatles to a Tee" by Rob Taylor (he absolutely NAILS these songs)

The other great resource I've found on the Beatles music is the "Notes on..." series by Alan W. Pollack. This musicologist spent a couple years analyzing and writing articles about every Beatles song ever written or recorded.

Archived