Gibson Brands Forums

Boiling Strings

KL

I just saw the thread about changing your strings . . . one at a time or all at once etc. It reminded me of when I couldn't afford new strings all the time. I used to take off all of my strings and boil them in a pan of water to get all the dirt and sweat out of them, dry them off and then replace them. They always sounded re-vitalised! It does work. Bass players do this because all their strings are wound and they are big and expensive, so it's a good way to give a bit more life to those dull old bass strings. Have any of you ever done this?

I thought it was an old wives tale. I've been gigging bars since the early '70's and I've never boiled, or put a string on, once it came off.

And I played a LOT of bass in the early '70's.....

I still don't believe anybody really did that. They just SAY they did.......

I thought it was an old wives tale. I've been gigging bars since the early '70's and I've never boiled' date=' or put a string on, once it came off.

I still don't believe anybody really did that. They just SAY they did.......[/quote']

Well Murph, now you know it's true. I did it many times when I was a teenager, and the bass player in our band still does it!

Well Murph' date=' now you know it's true. I did it many times when I was a teenager, and the bass player in our band still does it![/quote']

Times must be tougher in the UK, than they are here. When I played bass, I could get 6 months out of a set of strings gigging 2 nights a week, easy.

Even at that, I could never justify spending enough time to boil a set of strings, I mean really.....

After 50 gigs, I would have saved up enough, for a new set.......

Just sayin'......

I thought it was an old wives tale. I've been gigging bars since the early '70's and I've never boiled' date=' or put a string on, once it came off.

I still don't believe anybody really did that. They just SAY they did.......[/quote']

My brother used to do boil them when we were teens and a set of strings was a very big expense. I was there, I saw, he did.

Further' date=' when I had enough money to buy a new set of strings, I would carefully remove the old ones, wind them up and use them for spares when I broke a string.[/quote']

God bless ya, man.....

I never knew times that tough......

If you can't afford a guitar string' date=' it's time to re-consider your goals.........[/quote']

$hit happens murph.

One day your paying for your brand new gibson les paul custom and the next day your eating beans from a can next to a Burger King.

I boiled my acoustic strings on a couple of occasions when I was broke. They still sounded like a fat girl's fart. Then a bass player pal turned me on to this:

GHS%20Fast-Fret%20String%20Cleaner.jpg

Gets rid of the dirt, scum, grime, funk, schmunda, and sweat -- leaving em fresh-sounding with that new string feel. Doesn't improve the elasticity but the feel is clean and new & the tone comes back out to play. Boiling strings isn't even in the same ballpark.

Archived