Gibson Brands Forums

Bass Guitar

Dom_JEM

I keep a Mexican Fender Jazz, just in case I need to pull off a "side" job. I played bass for years around Phoenix. I also like the Carvin Bass guitars, and am a HUGE fan of Carvin bass amps.....

Best to ya.

I've been very pleased with my Schecter Stiletto Custom 4. It's in the right price range for you' date=' has active EQ and passive pups. Nice tonal palette. Comfortable neck, very stable. I don't need to re-tune it very often.

[/quote']

That's nice old fart.....

That Chinese Fender is a pretty tough amp, the bass player for the band I just quit used one with a 15", and it had beer spilled in it, and was beat to sh!t, and is working to this day.

Very durable amp......

If you're not a bass player, take this list and go play them. I was not a bass player, and went shopping for them last year at this time. For me, though, "The Bass" that ended up sounding like the one in my head was not even on the radar when I went shopping... so you might want to just play them all.

[cool]...

Play all the guitars, too. I mean, you might as well... as long as you're there /chuckle

Amp choice will be important, too. I play through an Eden 40 Watt practice amp and it's been perfect for learning the instrument.

I'm sure Murph and Cruz'n can point you in the direction of more suitable models if the living room is not your target audience....

[flapper]

Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

If you're not a bass player' date=' take this list and go play them. I was not a bass player, and went shopping for them last year at this time. For me, though, "The Bass" that ended up sounding like the one in my head was not even on the radar when I went shopping... so you might want to just play them all.

[cool]...

Play all the guitars, too. I mean, you might as well... as long as you're there /chuckle

Amp choice will be important, too. I play through an Eden 40 Watt practice amp and it's been perfect for learning the instrument.

I'm sure Murph and Cruz'n can point you in the direction of more suitable models if the living room is not your target audience....

[laugh]

Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

So you like thrash metal bass sound then?

[flapper]

So you like thrash metal bass sound then?

[crying]

No man... which is really funny. I can get this bass to make all kinds of tones... Kiss to Floyd to Parliment Funkadelic... and yet it's encased in this evil looking Satan bass body. It's exactly the reason I suggest playing them all. If I hadn't decided to go ahead and pick this up... [crying]

Still... it was a lot of fun playing them when I shopped!

[crying]

When I first went from guitar to bass I found a short scale one and while it was cheap' date=' I really liked the scale of it.....I don't see many

quality ones that are short but I have not looked lately.[/quote']

Blackie, I gotcher short-scale premium bass right here, mon. Rob Allen builds this little gem that's rapidly moving into a position of prominence on my wish-list. Especially after the Ibanez debacle. Check 'em out. Listen to the clips of the mouse 30, it sounds so acoustic it's scary.

(image is link)

m30-full_WalnutC.jpg

Im thinking of buying a Bass Guitar but i havnt got a clue what a good bass is... and recomendations

something around the £200 mark ($350-$450)

What are your specific needs? in a bass? Just to fart around or play semi serious? If semi serious, I lean towards the Korean Ibanez basses. A good used one will be closer to $450.

If you are looking to have a bass just to have, then yeah, try em all. Chinese made anything will be of poor quality. EVERY Chinese made guitar/bass/mandolin I have played has had poor fret job. Either jagged or sticking out of the fret board. Crap electronics. Every make and model. Fender, LTD, Ibanez....you name it. If it was made in China, the fret work sucked.

Well...

Back in the mid-olden days, I got my lady roommate a short-scale Fender bass because she had small hands. I thought it sounded fine, but as we had a cupla bucks at the time, she just hadda have a Precision. Then she quit playing and sold it 20 years thereafter.

Now I've got a low-end full-scale four-string Ibanez. I'd like something a bit better, but frankly this one is fine for an occasional bass gig.

My ideal bass would be a short scale (maybe around 30 inches) four stringer with decent pots and some flatwounds on it. I know that doesn't sound very exciting, but it seems to me that the bass may be much more influenced by the amp quality than much on the instrument itself. Yeah, fancier pickups, etc., may help, but only with a good amp... or at least so it seems to an old guitar picker who plays bass when necessary...

m

Yeah... I may be full of prune juice or the effects thereof, but frankly I'd rather have a decent low-end bass and a better quality bass amp than a higher-quality bass and a low-end amp...

So for some $500 U.S., I guess I'd look at at $150 "name" bass like an Ibanez or even Squier or whatever, on sale or used, and the majority on the amp.

I figure if the instrument stays in tune and has decent action, unless you're doing wild bass "leads," you can still work a nice rhythm and bottom if you have a good amp that lets the low end come through.

.... As for wimmin with small hands, heck, to me the controlling factor is more whether they can put up with my grouchy personality and bad habits like playing guitar when I'm not working. Granted, when I was younger I had other outlets, too, that likely were more along the lines of something a girl might accept. <grin>

I wish I might claim that my personality only became grouchy in my "late middle age," but I've a hunch it was just as bad 40 years ago, too. @#$%@#$%@

m

RE feet...

How 'bout the Fats Waller classic, "Your Feet's Too Big?" Ah, for the olden days. <chortle>

Who's that walkin' 'round here?

Mercy!

Sounds like baby patter!

Baby elephant patter, that's what I calls it!

Say, up in Harlem,

At a table for two,

There were four of us,

Me, your big feet and you!

From your ankles up, I say you sure are sweet,

From there down, there's just too much feet!

Yas!

Your feet's too big!

Don't want ya 'cause your feet's too big!

Can't use ya 'cause your feet's too big!

I really hate ya 'cause your feet's too big!

Yeah!

Da-dee-do-dah, wan-ga-der!

Where'd you get 'em?

Nyah-da-dum!

Your girl, she likes you, she thinks you're nice,

Got what it takes to be in paradise;

She says she likes your face, she likes your rig,

But, man, oh, man, them things are too big!

Oh, your feet's too big!

Don't want ya 'cause your feet's too big!

Mad at you 'cause your feet's too big!

I hate you 'cause your feet's too big!

[spoken]

My goodness, those are gunboats!

Shift! Shift! Shift!

Oh, your pedal extremities are colossal!

To me you look just like a fossil!

You got me walkin', talkin' and squawkin',

'Cause your feet's too big, yeah!

[spoken]

Come on and walk that thing!

Oh, I never heard of such walkin'! Mercy!

Your... your pedal extremities really are obnoxious.

One never knows, do one?

I would Recommend either a Ibanez SDGR (Sound Gear)

Slimmest neck I have seen on a lower end Bass, Tone is excellent, and most that I have played at Guitar Center come set-up right out of the factory.

I wouldn't get a Fender or Squire, they require a bit of work to get the action perfect and The pick-ups are weaker.

For the Price I would go with a Ibanez.

Archived