Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for the "Grail"?

freak show

OK, I'll precedent this by saying I'm fairly new to the world of Internet forums in general and guitar forums in particular, but one thing I have already noticed in my short acquaintance is a tendency to constantly be looking for the next, a better, the perfect guitar; the guitar that is going to change everything; the so-called "Holy Grail".

I love guitars, and I have more than I need (and deserve). I too spend time looking for new acquisitions which would probably be better spent actually playing my old guitars. I think some of you can probably relate.

My question: Do we do this because we're on a "tone quest"? Do we really expect the next guitar to be such a radical improvement over the ones we already own? Is this about sound, or are we just "shopping"?

I sometimes have the sneaking suspicion that I'm worse about guitars than my girlfriend is about buying shoes...

[biggrin]

The 1st step is admitting you have a problem. BUT that depends how one defines "problem." One way Webster defines problem is a source of perplexity, distress, or vexation. Does a slight guitar obsession cause us distress? No. It makes us quite happy. Do we have a difficulty in understanding or accepting the fact that we love guitars? No.

So the next time someone tells you you have a guitar "problem," simply reply "Guitars do not cause me distress and I do not have difficulty understanding them but thanks for your concern."

Or say this:

"It's not me that's addicted to guitars. It's guitars that are addicted to me."

Case in point, there is nothing wrong with you, Mr. F Show.

Yep, I can totally relate to what you're saying man.

Once James Hetfield was asked by a reporter if he has a drinking problem. His answer was: ''Hell yes, I do have a drinking problem! I have 2 hands but only one mouth!'' [blink]

So, yeah, I do have a guitar problem: I would like to own more guitars & amps that I will ever be able to afford and that my appartment could ever fit!

[blink][lol][blink][lol]B)

By the way, I don't believe that there is such a thing as a perfect guitar / amp / pedal. Perhaps there is such a thing, if you only play only one kind of music. But to me... I like the blues / hard rock / classic rock / classic metal / progressive metal. I figure that I need 3 different guitars and normally as many amps to achieve the tones in my head... The question is: supposedly I do manage to own the stuff I would like to. What would I do after that...? Stop looking around?

Nah, I think that GAS is indeed a part of my hobby... I can hardly understand guys that don't have GAS. I respect them, that's for sure, but for me GAS IS FUN & part of the game!

that...? Stop looking around?

Nah' date=' I think that GAS is indeed a part of my hobby... I can hardly understand guys that don't have GAS. I respect them, that's for sure, but for me GAS IS FUN & part of the game![/quote']

Exactly. It's not a problem until they prescribe a drug for it. GAS away boys and girls!

Hector pretty well hit it: If you play only one type and style of music, likely three or four guitars are about all you'd need: A main piece, a backup, a totally different piece just to keep you from being too "stuck," and likely something just for fun - like maybe a classical guitarist having an SG just to play.

In ways the small hollow - as in ES 175 - fits 90 percent of my musical inclinations. But I like an EA steel and EA nylon, a 12, a bass and a "board" guitar. <grin> I wouldn't mind a few more, with priority on a better semi hollow.

Seriously, I think every guitar is unique. They can come off an assembly line made by robots or whatever, and be dimensionally identical the day they are "born," but they're still different, feel and play different.

To me, the search isn't for a perfect tone, but rather a matter of "what neck is comfortable to play with the style of picking you plan to use with this instrument and string combination in order to get music you want." That makes better sense.

I like to talk to lots of different people. I like some more than others because of their unique personalities, but except for the ones that obviously are damaged, I see something of positive value in almost everyone I've met.

Ditto guitars.

BTW, I am not at all convinced that stuff like the Variax is an answer to GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome) mostly because it doesn't encourage forcing oneself into variations of actual playing style - e.g., how does one approach the left or right hand technique, even if the guitar is absolutely perfect in emulating different types of guitar? Physically different instruments do that latter.

m

As a guitar player your needs change over time, so does your skill level and maybe economic situation where you can afford something you could not before.

Some gear can be used for a long time without needing/wanting to replace it, some other gear does not serve you as long.

For example, I have 2 acoustic guitars, I like them both and never GAS for another or a different one, at least not to the point of even considering purchase, like bluemoon says, it is nice to look.

Most people have hobbys some of them are downright stupid IMO but music as a hobby is one of the best hoobys I think. If you can make it a job or profession even better.

Like Rich says golfers spend a ton of money on their quest for a better game, I have a golf club given to me by a friend, he paid $400 for it, once the club was used for 4 years he could not get $15 out of it because it was an "old model" even when it was in perfect condition. Most guitar gear you can resell at a reasonable price, if you buy used you lose even less.

In one sense guitars are a great sort of musical instrument to spend cash, whether one is a pro or a dedicated amateur precisely because each instrument is so different.

That means that one is quite likely to be expanding one's technical skill.

I dunno. I remember our co-Lounger "Notes" Norton showing pix of a new sax and telling how it has some special playing controls. That's kinda the sorta thing guitars all offer - differences between several.

I useta play trumpet and a little keyboard. Yeah, the "feel" is different in some ways, but I could transport my mouthpiece from one decent trumpet to another and quickly forget I was using a different instrument. Keyboards have different sounds and different "touches," but the physical movements of the hands don't change much from one to another.

But guitars are quite different in terms of how one picks up and plays the thing. There are different widths between strings, different scales, different weight balance that literally changes the angles in which one finds oneself approaching the neck with one hand and stroking strings with the other.

I dunno...

m

LOL, if I was hoping to hear some good reasons not to buy a guitar, I came to the wrong place.

You guys have completely convinced me that buying guitars is the most logical thing to do. Thanks for the encouragement!

I can't personally relate to the golf club phenomenon some of you mentioned: There are guys who are always looking for that "super club", but unfortunately I know that technology hasn't progressed enough to improve my game. I would need a club that can "beam" the ball into the hole. And unlike guitars there's nothing beautiful about a golf club. OK, those old copper irons from Ping look very nice, but not as good as a pretty sunburst top...

I totally agree that having and playing different guitars is good for ones overall playing. That was a good point. Switching back and forth between different necks does seem to help me play all guitars better...

And yes, if one finds good deals, one can almost always sell the guitars for the same price or more...

All right, now I don't feel one bit guilty about craving a certain guitar (R8) which I don't need at all.

My search begins...

:-

LOL' date=' if I was hoping to hear some good reasons not to buy a guitar, I came to the wrong place.

You guys have completely convinced me that buying guitars is the most logical thing to do. Thanks for the encouragement!

[/quote']

HAHAHAHA....yeah, we're enablers. Sorry aboot that.

Damn straight!! buying guitars is the most logical thing ANYONE can do.... and no problemo.... we're here to help.... meaning "we're here to be enablers" (like mojoredfoot said lol) :-k

good luck on the search [biggrin]

Yupper...

Some of us here are teens; I'm way, way past that, in fact, four times the age of some of the younger guys on here.

But one thing the "kids" and the "old guy" have in common is a love of pickin' and a love of guitar and "GAS," otherwise known as guitar acquisition syndrome.

Jeeze, I'd love a nice new 175, a 335, an all-wood medium bodied EA...

Unfortunately getting them is unlikely unless Gibson needs a PR guy who can pick, but hey, even an older guy can dream.

I get a kick out of how Hector and I both like and play several different styles of music. Styles he plays and styles I play are different, the but the mind set to do more than one "style" is the same. I love doing a "piano bar" style of "jazz," but I can't imagine not doing a bit of Doc Watson bluegrassy stuff. And... And... And...

BTW, one factor of my antiquity: I think of "classic rock" as stuff from the 50s as opposed to stuff from the 60s. <grin>

m

Yupper...

Some of us here are teens; I'm way' date=' way past that, in fact, four times the age of some of the younger guys on here.

But one thing the "kids" and the "old guy" have in common is a love of pickin' and a love of guitar and "GAS," otherwise known as guitar acquisition syndrome.

Jeeze, I'd love a nice new 175, a 335, an all-wood medium bodied EA...

Unfortunately getting them is unlikely unless Gibson needs a PR guy who can pick, but hey, even an older guy can dream.

I get a kick out of how Hector and I both like and play several different styles of music. Styles he plays and styles I play are different, the but the mind set to do more than one "style" is the same. I love doing a "piano bar" style of "jazz," but I can't imagine not doing a bit of Doc Watson bluegrassy stuff. And... And... And...

BTW, one factor of my antiquity: I think of "classic rock" as stuff from the 50s as opposed to stuff from the 60s. <grin>

m

[/quote']

Ha! Yessss sir! Young at heart is what it's all about!

BTW: 70's stuff are classic rock to me as well![biggrin]

Archived