Gibson Brands Forums

Canada

DAS44

Damned impressive opening ceremony.

They didnt try to be more spectacular then the Beijing Olympics. They did their own thing and I for one was impressed. Beautiful country you guys got (albeit cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey). The issue with the cauldron in the end really isnt a huge deal IMO. The floor kicked some kind of ***. I was very impressed with that poet. It wasnt old timey shakespearean stuff it was fresh it flowed, I loved it. they found the guy on youtube!

Now if only that damned weather would cooperate.[biggrin]

Thanks Das. Yeah, too bad about that cauldron. It's funny because I was sitting there watching the whole show thinking to myself 'wow, nothing's even gone wrong yet', then sure enough, one of the cauldrons wouldn't come up. But I thought it was amazing what they could do considering it was all inside. Kudos to the creative folks who put that together, I say!

And yes, for the record, the weather up here sucks. Altho' BC is pretty good if you're down south in the valley (lot of rain tho').

Canadian from southwestern Ontario here... super-mild winter here so far... and I've been chuckling about how the world must be scratching its collective head that "the true north strong and free" has had to truck in snow for the Olympics and is now wallowing in rain. I have a lot of friends in the Washington DC area, Pennsylvania, even Mississippi, who have been on the horn with me wailing about all the snow they've got -- while I've got just a skiff of snow in the yard right now. Haven't had to break out the snowblower once this season. Go figure...

Gordon Lightfoot! And Bob and Doug MacKenzie! SCTV! Seagull guitars! And Lorne Green! Bonanza just wouldn't have worked without Ben Cartwright! Plus they like boat racing and hockey! Do they have rodeo up there? And a significant percentage of my own family is Canadian! If there were coconut palms up there, I'd move there! Unfortunately, I have an aversion to shoveling the weather. But I wouldn't mind going to the Calgary Stampede! Canada is a great place and Canadians are terrific people! Excellent place to have the Olympics!

Cheers!

Rick...:P

I'm an Acadian on my Dad's side of the family and that branch of my family tree takes me back to almost the same time as the Pilgrims and the Mayflower. My Grandfather was born in Quebec. As the oldest (12 years old) of four orphan children, he took his younger brothers and sister on a cross continent journey of faith that led them to immigrate to Northern Idaho to live in a convent with his aunt, a Sisters of Providence Catholic nun.

As a result of my heritage, the French-Canadian blood was flowing with extra pride in these USA veins! A 7 hour drive gets me to Vancouver, and 2 hours + gets me into B.C.. Those of us who live in Washington State couldn't ask for better neighbors than our friends in British Columbia. I hope for great success for the Vancouver Olympics.................and a little more snow on Whistler.

Canadian from southwestern Ontario here... super-mild winter here so far... and I've been chuckling about how the world must be scratching its collective head that "the true north strong and free" has had to truck in snow for the Olympics and is now wallowing in rain. I have a lot of friends in the Washington DC area' date=' Pennsylvania, even Mississippi, who have been on the horn with me wailing about all the snow they've got -- while I've got just a skiff of snow in the yard right now. Haven't had to break out the snowblower once this season. Go figure...[/quote']

Welcome Firelight. You guys are lucky this year. My mom lives in Pennsylvania and she's been sending me pictures of the snow they got..... phenomenal! We've had a RELATIVELY mild winter but any winter is too much for me. I'm a sand, surf, and sun kind of person. I read this morning that the women's downhill racing at the Olympics was washed out and subsequently cancelled.

So GG, it was YOUR fault????.......lol......I'll tell you, KD Lang brought tears to my eyes with that Leonard Cohen song, I think I need to learn that one myself.....(without the soaring vocals of course)

Thanks Das. Yeah' date=' too bad about that cauldron. It's funny because I was sitting there watching the whole show thinking to myself 'wow, nothing's even gone wrong yet', then sure enough, one of the cauldrons wouldn't come up. But I thought it was amazing what they could do considering it was all inside. Kudos to the creative folks who put that together, I say!

And yes, for the record, the weather up here sucks. Altho' BC is pretty good if you're down south in the valley (lot of rain tho').[/quote']

So GG' date=' it was YOUR fault????.......lol......I'll tell you, KD Lang brought tears to my eyes with that Leonard Cohen song, I think I need to learn that one myself.....(without the soaring vocals of course)

[/quote']

Sssshhhhh! I don't want the IOC to know that I pray for warm weather every night before I go to sleep!

That song was beautiful, wasn't it? I'm not a huge KD fan but she's got the lungs for singing, that's for sure.

Archived