Gibson Brands Forums

Things you would change about the SG design?

LPDEN

I love SG's, they're light weight, full of tone, and unique. But as someone the pointed out to me recently while he was trying out an SG at a dealer, he wished the brisge would be mounted ever so slightly toward the heel of the guitar and the equally into the body a bit more to match it up more to the reach of the LP.

For some reason, I keep thinkng about his statement but I am trying to figure out if it either A. be possible or B. Be of any great benefit, and what the difference, if any really is? Anyone like to share their thoughts? Or even anything else you would do different?

The only thing that I don't like about SG's is the location of the output jack. I'd like to have it where it is on LP's.

My guess is the body is too narrow for an edge output jack, and that routing out to the edge may not be possible without a negative outcome on the body due to the tapering.... Just one of those give and take situations...

I disagree about the bridge position' date=' If I want to play an LP I'll buy an LP. I like the way my SG feels position wise. the only thing I'd consider changing is maybe move the straplock to the upper horn to make the balance a little better.[/quote']

Yeah, I too like the bridge right where it is. But the conversation stuck with me nevertheless, maybe becuase I of the fact that the SG was suppose to be a sleeker style LP guitar. Besides the sharpe of the body, I believe the bridge location was among the other top complaints Les himself had of the SG. I agree about the strap lock location causing that teeder-todder effect.

I would change nothing, why fix what isn't broken? The quirks about a guitar very quickly become their definitions, and aid you to make new habits or break old ones, which help you develop, and choose what represents you.

Yes, I like the output jack on the side as well. It looks out of place on the face of the guitar.

So you're one of those guys that likes telecasters better than stratocasters eh? ;-)

I have a lot of problems with side cables, I keep bumping them on things. All you need with the front mounts is a 90 degree cable and it's good to go. If you're really ambitious, match the cable to the guitar and you can't even see it.

Nothing, the SG is the perfect axe! I love my LP but I had to learn to love it, I always loved the looks but I could never play one as easily as the SG, but now I know how to make an LP comfortable to play I love them both equally. The minute I first played an SG I knew I had something special, the weight, the shape, the feel, the tone - outstanding.

I love SG's' date=' they're light weight, full of tone, and unique. But as someone the pointed out to me recently while he was trying out an SG at a dealer, he wished the brisge would be mounted ever so slightly toward the heel of the guitar and the equally into the body a bit more to match it up more to the reach of the LP.

For some reason, I keep thinkng about his statement but I am trying to figure out if it either [b']A.[/b] be possible or B. Be of any great benefit, and what the difference, if any really is? Anyone like to share their thoughts? Or even anything else you would do different?

Notice on a LP, the neck is set 'deeper' into the body, so the bridge position is primarily determined by the scale length. On an SG, the neck meets the body at a much higher fret than a LP, so the bridge has to be where it is. The only way the bridge could be closer to the 'heel' (tail end?) of the guitar would be for the neck to set more towards the tail, and meet the body at a lower fret, or to lengthen the scale (no way!). That would make a pretty weird SG.

Chuck

For a classic guitar style the access to the upper frets is exceptional, so I will take the teeter-totter effect (neck heavy) as a compromise.

I therefore add my voice to the "wouldn't change a thing" crowd for sure.

As someone mentioned, the quirks of the guitar in the end define the guitar.

Why make it just like any other shitty guitar out there?

It stands alone as a totally unique design that has been maintained through the years - how cool is that.

Quirks and all' date=' SG's are awesome guitars. There's a reason the model is still alive and thriving...............[/quote']

Yes, that sums it up quite well for many of us. I suppose the conversation I had left me with the idea that the some felt it needed tweaking. At this point I agree that it is what it is....

Before I owned a LP, the thing I would have changed about it would have been tone. Obviously, you can't get the balls out of an SG as you can with an LP. Now that I primarily play my LP, I do appreciate the SG for what it is: that it is a different guitar than an LP, and sounds killer in it's own right.

That being said, I play all my guitars down at my knees. The thing I would change about my SG is the toggle switch location. I'm not entirely sure where I would put it (it has to be fuctional AND look aesthetically pleasing) but as it is I practically have to bend over to switch it. Coincidentally, that's what I would change about my LP as well but in that case it's TOO close and often gets bumped unintentionally while strumming. It's in a perfect location on my Explorer. :-)

But I'm a freak case, I play my guitar in ways it's not meant to be played, so it's really my fault and not Gibsons. They're wonderfully designed guitars.

I would have the slant on the back of the body where the body and neck meet as the 60's models did. Oh and have the choice of a Maestro Vibrola on the Standard AND 61 reissue. Also a two choice neck for the standard as they do with LP's. Have a 60's slim taper choice with a new "Modern" (like today) rounded neck profile. This is because I like the vibrola, and large pickguard.

This is what I mean about the body near the neck slants inward, this would be cool on all models, I think the 61 reissue might have it though. Also the early 80's SG's had the input jack on the bottom as was stated here before just that the toggle switch was where the input jack is located so I thought they looked funky.

61LesPaul%20038.jpg

Archived