Gibson Brands Forums

how much $ to...

Izzy

Hi all. I've been thinking about lowering the action on my flying V.

I know its tune-o-matic and therefore even a ten year old can figure out how to, but I tried and failed.

Yeah, I know! Short buss all-a-way.

Basically it feels the same as action goes, all that changed is now it goes out of tune real easy.

I'm not looking for how-to advice or I'd be researching that again...

What I want to know is how much should I expect a guitar shop to charge to lower the action?

I'm scared of getting $crewed. It's like going to the mechanic for me, I guess.

Cost is one factor - shouldn't be over $50 bucks unless the guitar needs repair.

The other thing - ANY store has some goober working there who can do a set up, and make it worse.

Find a GOOD luthier to do it, and the cost will be the same because he can do it all in 15 minutes.

It's been ten years since I was there, but Rockin' Robin on Shepherd just north of 59 usually has a good guy.

Right down the road from you, eh?

I spent a boat load of money there in the 90's.

Check 'em out, and if they can't do it they can recommend somebody.

www.rockinrobinguitars.com

My local shop charges $45 so I think +/- $10 is fair depending on where you live.

Don't feel bad about not doing your own setups. I've been playing for around 25 years and have never managed to get it right; that's mainly due to a lack of patience and zero interest in learning how to do it but also not wanting to spend my spare time screwing around with adjusting a bunch of guitars. It costs me money but, for me, it's money well spent because it gets done right and without me getting all pissed off. If you have a real interest in learning to do it yourself and you have the patience to do it, Dan Erlewine's book is really good, if not pay a pro and feel good about the expense.

Hi all. I've been thinking about lowering the action on my flying V.

I know its tune-o-matic and therefore even a ten year old can figure out how to' date=' but I tried and failed.

Yeah, I know! Short buss all-a-way.

Basically it feels the same as action goes, all that changed is now it goes out of tune real easy.

I'm not looking for how-to advice or I'd be researching that again...

What I want to know is [i']how much should I expect a guitar shop to charge[/i] to lower the action?

I'm scared of getting $crewed. It's like going to the mechanic for me, I guess.

I know its frustrating Izzy. Im the same way. Sometimes what seems like the most simple of adjustments doesnt

turn out that way. I just find it odd that it wont stay in tune after a simple bridge tweak.

Maybe a truss rod adjustment is needed as well. Im sure whatever it is they can fix her up nicely.

Get a copy of Ritchie Fliegler's Guide to Guitar & Amp Maintenance -- I picked up a copy some years back ... he explains everything really clearly in really basic terms. To this day, I refer to it all the time. In al the time since I got this book, I've only brought a guitar to a luthier when my V's neck snapped off.

With the cash you'd pay a shysty luthier for 15 minutes of work, you can instead get this book, hit up the dollar store for basic tools (screwdrivers, wire cutters, etc.), & buy a couple packs of strings.

Thank you all so much!

Thanks Duane for letting me know I should get it back that same day for about $50. This baby sounds incredible and I can't wait to make her my battle ax. I always think about recording her because you requested I put up a vid of it once upon a time. Some day I'll get a recorder with decent sound *sigh

Blackie, I'm with Rich. I would rather pay and spare myself the frustration. Thank you for offering to assist me but I just know I'd ding up my guitar with the level of skill and patience I have. If I was tweaking a Squire I'd not blink at dropping a pair of wire cutters on it.

Neo, I SO know Rocking! I live close to it (for Houston, as in I can get there in less than fifteen minutes). Great to know they're good for guitar tweaking. I was thinking about going to Fullers as well, mostly because I never have been there but they've a good reputation. My guess is with their inventory they'd have to have good workers tweaking in the back.

Thanks guys. I feel more confident now, and less sissy for not wanting to do it myself.

Izzy, Fullers is a great shop!

I never had any repairs done there, so I don't know, but you should make the trip.

Still 610 & Yale?

Don't feel bad about not doing your own setups.

I've been playing for around 25 years and have never managed to get it right

not wanting to spend my spare time screwing around with adjusting a bunch of guitars.

it's money well spent because it gets done right and without me getting all pissed off.

pay a pro and feel good about the expense.

I'm with Rich 100%, with even more than 25 years - and I've owned over 40 guitars.

I can set mine up, but I'm never really sure I'm "there" when I'm done.

So I can mess with it on and off for two weeks, or take it to the guy I would trust with a million dollar guitar.

He'll look, tweak, look again, play a couple impossibly fast runs all over the neck, tweak again, done.

If he changes strings too, the whole affair takes him 15 minutes.

And he never fails to impart some great advice where appropriate.

He's saved me literally thousands in repairs and mods I was set to perform, he advised against them.

Also kept me from buying a few guitars out of his store, because of issues I was not aware of at first.

With 20 guitars to do, and since I live so far from town, last year I paid him to come to the NeoCon Compound.

Did EVERYTHING over a six hour visit.

Of course, that was with a lengthy Mrs. Neo-prepared lunch break, and much BSing along the way.

Played some music dvd's and several albums, discussing music and local bands, our own playing.

In short (after such a lengthy post) the only way you'll ever get to feel good about your luthier is to travel

around from shop to shop when you have time, seek their advice, and pay 'em a buck or two for little stuff.

You'll soon enough find one who will treat you right - the good ones are proud of their work and it shows.

The more you learn - and get the excellent books mentioned above - the more you'll be able to decide on

your own what you feel comfortable with performing on your own and what requires a pro touch or insight.

Izzy' date=' Fullers is a great shop!

I never had any repairs done there, so I don't know, but you should make the trip.

Still 610 & Yale?

I'm with Rich 100%, with even more than 25 years - and I've owned over 40 guitars.

I can set mine up, but I'm never really sure I'm "there" when I'm done.

So I can mess with it on and off for two weeks, or take it to the guy I would trust with a million dollar guitar.

He'll look, tweak, look again, play a couple impossibly fast runs all over the neck, tweak again, done.

If he changes strings too, the whole affair takes him 15 minutes.

And he never fails to impart some great advice where appropriate.

He's saved me literally thousands in repairs and mods I was set to perform, he advised against them.

Also kept me from buying a few guitars out of his store, because of issues I was not aware of at first.

With 20 guitars to do, and since I live so far from town, last year I paid him to come to the NeoCon Compound.

Did EVERYTHING over a six hour visit.

Of course, that was with a lengthy Mrs. Neo-prepared lunch break, and much BSing along the way.

Played some music dvd's and several albums, discussing music and local bands, our own playing.

In short (after such a lengthy post) the only way you'll ever get to feel good about your luthier is to travel

around from shop to shop when you have time, seek their advice, and pay 'em a buck or two for little stuff.

You'll soon enough find one who will treat you right - the good ones are proud of their work and it shows.

The more you learn - and get the excellent books mentioned above - the more you'll be able to decide on

your own what you feel comfortable with performing on your own and what requires a pro touch or insight.[/quote']

A well versed statement Neo[cool]

I've been fortunate to have the same Luthier since 1988, and I have a back-up person as well.....

Finding a Luthier is like finding the right person to cut your hair

Thank you for yer support Duane.

And you're dead on about the haircut thing!

Why are those women so, well, um... transient in nature?

That's the subject for a whole 'nother thread - stories about women who've cut my hair over the years....

:)/

Where I am I don't really have the choices. Darn it.

But Izzy, don't feel you're being a "sissy" for concerns about proper care of a guitar that has great value to you. No way. I feel the same way about several of mine and I don't think of myself, Duane or Neo as sissies either. It's like cooking. I can make a fine steak dinner, but... some fancier stuff I'm happy to pay for.

m

Why are those women so' date=' well, um... [i']transient[/i] in nature?

That's the subject for a whole 'nother thread - stories about women who've cut my hair over the years....

:-&/

And I'm sure women wonder why we are such the knuckleheads at times...:)

Archived