Gibson Brands Forums

Led Zep fans MUST HAVE album

NeoConMan

Doing some stuff around the NeoCon Compound today, weather is unusually cool, wet and breezy for AZ.

Got all the doors opened up, roast cookin' in the oven, guitar stuff all put away.

Trying to decide what I wanted to listen to while doing our thing - has to be Mrs. Neo friendly.

Looking thru my cd's and spotted this;

51F14RMY29L._SS500_.jpg

For you Led Zep fans (especially Jimmy Page fans like me) this is a Must Have album.

When I initially heard about them playing together, the ONLY down side I could think of was Chris Robinson.

His vocal work is cool in their stuff, I just couldn't see it working for Robert Plant's material - but it does.

They had one of my all-time favorite guitarists in the band, Audley Freed from his band Cry Of Love.

This is the ONLY place in the world where you will hear Led Zep tunes filled out with three guitar parts.

Musically it finally does those songs justice, and I can live without Plant's vocals this one time.

(Never thought I'd actually come out and say such a thing...)

Chris Robinson and Freed did a stellar job backing Jimmy Page on the Zep tunes, and some other stuff too.

Great album.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

That is a great disc / performance.

I'm a huge Black Crowes fan, add Jimmy Page

and you really got some great stuff. Thanks for posting

those videos, I don't think I've seen 'em before.

Say, how do you post those anyway? All I can ever do successfully

is post the link (which is kinda lame).

BTW, I think their new disc (Before The Frost)

is the bands finest since Shake Your Money Maker.

Sorry, now back to "Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes"...

Also' date=' what kind of guitar is Page playing in "In My Time..."? [/quote']

Yep, Danelectro 59 DC. Of course, Page owns an original.

3374000161_9b018c8348.jpg

They were a cheap-*** plastic beginner guitar, back when everybody was trying to do something different

in that new market of electric guitars to set themselves apart from the rest of the market.

Brainchild of one Nathan Daniel - thus, Danelectro.

Mine's a Korean made reissue from the late nineties, they've since introduced a different version again.

I also had a 59 U2 a dozen years ago, the lipstick tube pickups and stacked tone/volume knobs are cool as hell.

Pickups are wired in parallel, allows great blending possibilities.

With both selected, you can roll the volume to zero on either one and the other keeps going.

Try THAT on a Gibson...

Jerry Jones has been building NICE guitars based on the Dano line for years, but the prices are a little steep.

www.jerryjonesguitars.com

Country cats love 'em.

Oddly enough, being a huge Page fan, I've never heard it. I'll have to give it a listen.

Meanwhile, check out Three Week Hero by P.J. Proby. Before Zep was named Zep, this guy was recording an album and Page, Plant, Jones, and Bonham just happened to be in the studio. Most of it is cheesy 60's Brit pop, but there are some hints of things to come.

L10496734.jpg

Damn you for bringing this up, Neo! You can tell by my screen name that I love Zep and have always been obsessed with Page. I finally had tickets to see this tour and finally get to witness one of my favorite guitarists live in concert. The Robinsons also attended my high school here north of Atlanta for a bit as well, and I have always liked the Black Crowes. I was very excited and I bought this album when it came out- great combination of artists.

However, Jimmy BLEW HIS BACK AND CANCELLED. I still have the unused tickets. By far one of the MOST disappointing moments in my entire life. Looks like those heavy LPs finally took a toll on ol' Jimmy. Nevertheless, it is a good album and a painful reminder that I may never get a chance to see Page live.

I was waiting for tickets to go on sale for that tour myself.

Never seen Page' date=' and I intended to kill anybody who got in the way of attending that show.

Then he cancelled as you said.

I too was immensely bummed.....[/quote']

I'll never live it down...:-

I guess we'll just both have to cross our fingers for that mythical Zeppelin reunion. Now all we need to do is get Allison Krauss and the "Crooked Vultures" out of the way, and hope that Jason Bohnam is not too busy to sit in for his dad.

(Heavy sigh.....)

Yeah, I dunno.

I'm really not interested in attending ANY concert with 100,000 people, and paying $1,000 for the privilege.

Don't know if I would suffer that badly to see a Zep-esque reunion when it would be out on dvd soon.

Now, catching Page in a smaller venue - THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!

He played medium/smaller houses with the Black Crowes, which was part of the appeal for me.

I've been to way too many over-priced sold-out concerts at various Enormo-Domes and stadiums - no thanks.

I know what you mean about crowded concerts- poor acoustics, fights, getting beer spilled, getting ripped off for merchandise, and WAY overpriced tickets. Nosebleed seats for any major artist like Clapton start at like $250. I think the tickets for the pseudo-reunion they did in London were going for at least $3000 after the raffle ended.

Seeing Page up close with a rockin band like the Black Crowes would have been unforgettable. There is something about small venues that seems to bring the sincerity out of an artist.

Thanks for posting this Neo. I remember I had discovered those videos on you-tube a few months ago and I was blown away. Page was killer once again and Black Crowes have everything: the talent, the flame, the passion... They are so original rockers, they seem out-of-place in our dry times (and that's a good thing for me).

[biggrin];)

That's a great album and I was lucky enough to see JP and the Black Crowes when they toured together. GREAT show!

Tickets weren't expensive; I don't know what they cost, but I don't remember them costing any more or less than any other show. I saw them at the waterfront amphitheater in Camden, NJ. The t-shirt is looking a bit ragged these days so I wear it only on "special" occasions now.

Archived