Gibson Brands Forums

Mrs. Neo is watching Forrest Gump.

NeoConMan

Mrs. Neo is watching Forrest Gump.

Ya know something?

When that movie came out, I got kinda tired of hearing all the critics raving (means I'll hate it) and people at work

saying they paid to watch it four times, and Tom Hanks was now a superstar, the computer-generated stuff....

I finally threw in the towel and went to see it in the theater, and I'm here to tell you that movie moved me like

few others before or since. I know movies are designed to make you feel something one way or another, but I

usually walk out thinking somewhere between "Yeah, that was okay" and "That's two hours of my life wasted..."

Looking back, yeah, it's Forrest Gump and blah, blah, blah....

That's because we're used to it now.

That was a turning point in cinematic history.

All movies since owe something to it.

Oh, it's not perfect but it was very witty.

Sort of a dual storyline in some places, some humor that works on a couple levels.

I saw where he and the black guy were running out of the jungle in Viet Nam with napalm landing all around.

That was nowhere near what napalm looks like, but it's good enough for most people to get the drama...

Oh' date=' it's not perfect but it was very witty.

Sort of a dual storyline in some places, some humor that works on a couple levels.

I saw where he and the black guy were running out of the jungle in Viet Nam with napalm landing all around.

That was nowhere near what napalm looks like, but it's good enough for most people to get the drama...

[/quote']

Cain't say as I ever had the displeasure of being naped. Too young for that war, too old for the next one. I'll take your word for it. FWIW, that is one of the only story threads that seemed plausible. But was still good entertainment.

Dug the movie a lot. I don't buy many movies. All of the movies I personally own come down to the first couple of Lethal Weapon movies and a few clint eastwood movies, but I laid down the fifteen bucks for Forrest Gump.

It had good acting, intriguing story, great soundtrack.

Besides, Forrest really reminds me a lot of my dumba@@ brother in law . . . . stupid as a damn rock, lucky as hell.

An amazing film. 6 academy awards I think? It falls into that category of "nostalgic" cinema. It really captures so many aspects of American history and ties them all in seamlessly. I still get kind of choked up when Bubba dies.

I thought Gary Sinise was great. He's always been one of my favorite actors since I first saw him with John Malchovic in a re-make of Of Mice And Men. He's one of those guys who just does his job without a bunch of off-stage Hollywood drama following him around.

One of my favorite movies of all times, I don't take it for granted.

I reluctantly saw it at the theather when it came out and boy was I glad I did.

I don't buy many DVD but that one I do own.

The Strange Story of Benjamin Brat is very similar, I dug that movie too because of its oddity, yes it does not make sense but they made a good story.

Oh' date=' it's not perfect but it was very witty.

[/quote']

I know it is not your intention to leave this hanging out here. What is the extent of your real-world experience with napalm?

Sling Blade is indeed another one - much darker, and disturbing for some.

Mrs. Neo got the creeps from it.

"Whatcha gonna do with that lawn mower blade?"

:D/

What is the extent of your real-world experience with napalm?

TV documentaries' date=' gun camera footage, archived news reports...

As a child, I saw a few military research runs on gunnery ranges.

I profess to be no expert on the deployment of napalm, but I can see where the movies depart from reality on it.

The point I was making is that the movie maker wants you to believe that jets are screaming overhead dropping

the stuff that is exploding all around them - basically big flashpots with some gas/diesel to make the fire.

Each detonation blows [i']straight up[/i], to make a big showy fireball.

This is done without threatening anything beyond a short radius.

Napalm cans hitting the ground at 400 mph create big curtains of flame arcing for maybe 100 yards down-range.

Not much of an explosion, just a big, scary wall of fire that sticks to everything.

That, and going through two separate fire-fighting mini-academies totaling about 4 weeks.

If your experience differs substantially, fill us in.

[cool]

TV documentaries' date=' gun camera footage, archived news reports...

As a child, I saw a few military research runs on gunnery ranges.

I profess to be no expert on the deployment of napalm, but I can see where the movies depart from reality on it.

The point I was making is that the movie maker wants you to believe that jets are screaming overhead dropping

the stuff that is exploding all around them - basically big flashpots with some gas/diesel to make the fire.

Each detonation blows [i']straight up[/i], to make a big showy fireball.

This is done without threatening anything beyond a short radius.

Napalm cans hitting the ground at 400 mph create big curtains of flame arcing for maybe 100 yards down-range.

Not much of an explosion, just a big, scary wall of fire that sticks to everything.

That, and going through two separate fire-fighting mini-academies totaling about 4 weeks.

If your experience differs substantially, fill us in.

[biggrin]

Thanks for your clarification, Neo, I knew you'd come through. I watch very few movies, never anything having Vietnam war references. But I've always believed them to be fantasy, no matter what their subject matter might be.

My own experiences are just that; my own. You'll find no war stories from me. I don't do that.

Napalm was described to me as Styrofoam dissolved in gasoline. This makes a jello like mixture, that adheres to all surfaces it lands on. When ignited burns ferociously as gasoline usually does. No amount of "Stop Drop and Roll" will put it out. --- That's why international military law banned it's use in "civilized" warfare

Archived