Gibson Brands Forums

upgraded my 2008 R8

FennRx

when i bought my R8, i thought it was the greatest guitar ever. and it was...until i swapped the pots and caps in my R9 with an RS Vintage kit. in order to level the playing field, i replaced the pots and caps in the R8, but the guitar just lacked the mojo i thought it had. i lowered the pickups; i raised the pickups, but with no success. the neck seemed muddy and the bridge didnt have enough top end sizzle.

so i began looking into new pickups. i researched a ton of different winders: Zhangbuckers, Wolfetones, Dr Vintage, Lollar, Sheptones, Shed, Bareknuckle, Fralin, Seymour Duncan, WCR, Voodoo 59s, Skatterbranes, Throbaks and Guitarforce. After much consideration and several helpful emails, I decided to order a set of WCRs. On Jim's advice, I put a Crossroads in the neck and a Darkburst in the bridge.

after only a few minutes, i was in love with my R8 again. the CR neck sounds so smooth and creamy AND it removed the muddiness!!! the DB is nice and fat, has a good round bottom and a nice top end sizzle...but without being shrill or icepick-y. to my ears it has that nice "since i've been loving you" solo sound when played thru my Haze 40. these pickups have brought my R8 very close to my stock R9 (and i love those BBs). the windings must be very similar,with the DB having a slightly more refined sound. and having the RS kit really makes the pots way more useful (vs the on/off effect with the stock pots/caps).

i am of the belief (based on my own experience and many reviews at places like LPF) that the Burstbuckers are hit or miss. they either sound great or mediocre/blah. i think my R9 has a good set. my R8 did not by comparison. so if you guys are looking for a new set of pickups and dont know where to begin, take a good look at WCR. Jim has excellent customer service- he returned my emails within a few hours every time AND he shipped the pickups in only 2 days! no 2-4 week waiting; i had them installed 5 days after i placed my order. yes, Jim's pickups are pricey. but you get what you pay for.

here's the mandatory pic:

IMG_1361.jpg

rocket, that is my one regret. with me being sick this week, my work schedule and my general rush to get the pickups installed, i didnt record any before clips. i do hope to get some after clips though. i might do one of my "which clip is the Historic?" polls again.

Archived