Gibson Brands Forums

Forgotten Songs

Thin_Lizzy

Remember Woolie Bullie? Hell' date=' I likely could retire if I had a cupla bucks for every time I played the thing. It worked really well for kid audiences that really wanted to wiggle.[/quote']

That song is alive and well in the 21st century...

The band I play with off and on does it almost every show.

The gimmick is to get a drunk, good-looking, energetic young thing to take the tamborine and lead the crowd.

They often encourage ALL the women in the crowd to get onstage for the number.

(Scary for me.... something always gets knocked over.)

By the time the song is over, there are still women trying to crowd onto the stage.

I have pics somewhere - it's a riot.

For the sake of crowd control, the song can be cut short and nobody knows or drawn out with creative lyrics

and maybe even used as an opening to Happy Birthday if the drunk girl is celebrating.

Bring it full circle and finish up with Woolie Bullie again, and you can kill 20 minutes with it if you want.

The drunker the better.

I prefer to not be involved, and my guitars to be safely away from the stage during all this....

Neo...

I know exactly what you mean in the way of doing Woolie Bullie...

There are others kinda like that and similarly encourage some degree of audience participation that makes the band more popular in a given venue - and scares the socks off the band members who value their equipment.

Been there, done that.

Which is why... sometimes it seems jazz is a little safer sorta venue. <grin>

Hmmmmm. I'm kinda trying to figure out how to do an old style piano bar with a guitar, too... I just hate stuff written in Eflat or bflat with lots and lots of fancy chords that never sounds at all like any version of the piece I've ever heard. Yeah, I know how to transpose, but... <grin> Guess I'd best try to dig up some fake books.

m

The gimmick is to get a drunk' date=' good-looking, energetic young thing to take the tamborine and lead the crowd.

They often encourage ALL the women in the crowd to get onstage for the number.

(Scary for me.... something always gets knocked over.)

By the time the song is over, there are [i']still[/i] women trying to crowd onto the stage.

I have pics somewhere - it's a riot.

For the sake of crowd control, the song can be cut short and nobody knows or drawn out with creative lyrics

and maybe even used as an opening to Happy Birthday if the drunk girl is celebrating.

Bring it full circle and finish up with Woolie Bullie again, and you can kill 20 minutes with it if you want.

The drunker the better.

Just the reason I quit playing bars years ago, except that THAT song in my neck of the woods is "Mustang Sally".

I'll never forget watching one Saturday night show with a darned good crowd for this country by a band that did some nice originals - this is some 35 years ago - and half the audience kept hollering in slurred voices, "play Proud Mary."

I think there are saloons and saloons...

m

Archived