Gibson Brands Forums

bloody tendonitus is kicking in again!

S t e v e

i suffer with tendonitus, it used to be every couple of months that my third finger would lock in a bent position where the tendon in my hand would swell and be painfull to touch, it usually lasts about 3-4 days in witch time i cant play but it hasn't happend for about a year...until now, i have been doing a lot of hammer ons and pull offs in the past week so i know exactly why it's flared up again, just pisses me right off! +:-@, any of you suffer with it? +:-@

I've been suffering with tennis elbow since last June. It's a b!tch!! It was definitely from playing my guitar. The pain was originally in my wrist so I iced it up. But about 2 months ago I told my chiropractor about it and he grabbed by the elbow, which hurt to no end. He said it was really at my elbow and was shooting down to my wrist. I can play my electric now and I don't feel any real pain, but I'm only about 80% at best. It takes a very long time to heal...

I feel you as well mate...

I had never broken a bone, till last winter. Some friends called me over for a basketball game. There were 2 balls in the court while we were practising. As soon as I picked up one of them, the other landed on my fingers.

You get the idea. I had to stop guitar lessons and all practising for about 2 months...

Hang on in there man...

Sympathies to all of the injured walking. Guess you'll be jammin to Lawrence Welk for a few weeks. I'll never have your problems, my fingers don't move that fast and I usually stand or sit in one spot most of the time.

Well Steve there are a few things you could do here.

1-give up playing and send me all your guitars muhahahaha

Ok serious stuff now.

I had a problem with my thumb locking up and could not bend it at all. My doctor wanted to shoot some cortisone it and I wouldn't let him.That is last resort k.

Before you play, take a mortin or advil or some kind of anti inflammatory. Always warm up your hands and try not to do anything to fast. Yes pull offs and tricks are great but can do damage .

After you are done , try icing for 5-15 minutes then let it come back up to room temperature. Now after this, apply heat. Heat should only be applied for 5 minutes. DO NOT apply heat if it is swelled up, that is what ice is for.

Take a day or two off of playing..maybe work on making a Gary Moore quilt lol

YOU CAN also pm if you like and I'll try to help some more.

Stick your hand and arm (just past the elbow) in hot water and good old epsom salts 1/2 hour every day from here on out.

It won't hurt or cost much to make it part of your daily routine for a trial at least.

ooohh...possible tendon sheeth...... not good for a guitar player......

You're quite young to have this condition... have you had yourself checked for diabetes??? Sometimes this joint condition is associated with that disease.

hi' date=' yea all clear on the diabetes front...i used to get it in my right hand too because i'm a reproduction furniture polisher by trade and use a spray gun most of the days, it must just be overuse of the tendons...sure i'll be fine in a couple days actually iv'e been playing this afternoon and it dont seem to bad.

thanks guys! [biggrin

ooohh...possible tendon sheeth...... not good for a guitar player......

You're quite young to have this condition... have you had yourself checked for diabetes??? Sometimes this joint condition is associated with that disease.

Yes Duane it's called neuropathy. It happens with diabetics over time...sometimes yes and sometimes no...I'm a 32 year vet and none so far...knock on wood.

I'd perhaps get yourself out Steve. Better safe than sorry . Simple blood test and urine sample...no biggy...

Oh ok I didn't read about you've been cleared of diabetes.....Ok then lets look at what you do when not working or playing guitar....maybe trying switching hands Steve ....just sayin :- lmao

hahaha i can always rely on you swleary for some good advice :- :-k[cool]

maybe i should get some of this guys tuition videos? :-k

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8wfDYPErhE[/YOUTUBE]

Steve... and all...

Seriously, I think that much of this sort of problem is often along the lines of proper alignment of joints, whether knees and ankles, wrists or fingers.

If the photo in your avatar is you, it appears the wrist is bent toward the little finger. IMHO, when the index finger is in a straight line with the forearm - whether straight as in pointing at something or curved as in holding a glass of water - the muscles, tendons and joints are in harmony. When the index finger is not on a plane with the forearm, it's likely one will have some degree of pain at some point.

I find it interesting that I'd never heard a guitarist with this sorta problem until the "wear the guitar low" thing came about. Prior to that I think there was more of bit of keeping that "plane."

It's a battle I keep fighting with my right hand because of heavy "mousing" on the computer, but have little problems with on the left side because most of my day I'm just keyboarding or fretting a guitar.

(I just noted that my current avatar may show that plane halfway decently.)

m

Ok serious stuff now.

I had a problem with my thumb locking up and could not bend it at all. My doctor wanted to shoot some cortisone it and I wouldn't let him.That is last resort k.

Before you play, take a mortin or advil or some kind of anti inflammatory. Always warm up your hands and try not to do anything to fast. Yes pull offs and tricks are great but can do damage .

These have helped me as well. I had a freakin tumor on my wrist..kept getting bigger and worse for several years...one shot of Cortisone...its been gone for almost two years.

I have the misfortune of also amputating a finger on my picking hand last October...ruined my chops for a couple months for sure. During the time that I was sitting around the house taking pain meds and wanting to call up Tony Iommi, I found a whole support group on the internet that is dedicated to guitar players with injuries. I wish I could remember the name; I'll post the link when/if I find it. What I learned was that people overcome alot of pain and hurdles to keep playing. I also stopped feeling sorry for myself when I spoke with a guy learning to play with a prosthetic hand...Kindda put things in perspective for me. At any rate, we do what we must to pursue our passion.

Ok serious stuff now.

Before you play' date=' take a mortin or advil or some kind of anti inflammatory. Always warm up your hands and try not to do anything to fast. Yes pull offs and tricks are great but can do damage .

These have helped me as well. I had a freakin tumor on my wrist..kept getting bigger and worse for several years...one shot of Cortisone...its been gone for almost two years.

I have the misfortune of also amputating a finger on my picking hand last October...ruined my chops for a couple months for sure. During the time that I was sitting around the house taking pain meds and wanting to call up Tony Iommi, I found a whole support group on the internet that is dedicated to guitar players with injuries. I wish I could remember the name; I'll post the link when/if I find it. What I learned was that people overcome alot of pain and hurdles to keep playing. I also stopped feeling sorry for myself when I spoke with a guy learning to play with a prosthetic hand...Kindda put things in perspective for me. At any rate, we do what we must to pursue our passion.[/quote']

Good Stuff Seventh, glad to see you are working through everything and still playing :)

Archived