Gibson Brands Forums

Austin City Limits last light

ksdaddy

Guy Clark, Joe Ely, John Hiatt, Lyle Lovett.

I already knew about them, heard them, saw them on tv since the 80s. Last night they were lined up side by side, taking turns and singing together too. Unplugged unless you count onboard electronics.

My faith in music has been restored.

Guy Clark = Martin 0016-NY maybe? Small 12 fretter, slotted headstock.

Joe Ely = black Taylor T-5

John Hiatt = J45 and a blonde J200

Lyle Lovett = unknown sunburst dreadnaught, lots of purfling... Collings maybe?

Good stuff. Always like Joe and jsut recently discovered Guy. Re Guy Clark--he makes his own guitars, not a general line , just for himself. S sme are spanish (there was an article in Acosutic Guitar about it, maybe back in 06-07.

Wish I would have seen it. FYI. I saw all four in Chicago about six years back when they played together in a songwriters setting and managed to get backstage and visit afterwards, which of course was wayyyyyyy cool. Spent most of the time speaking with Guy Clark. What was even cooler was about a half a year later I was in an Austin hotel while doing some music in Austin and Guy Clark was walking through the lobby and casually came over and continued the conversaton we'd had in that backstage meeting in Chicago. Now that was reallllly coooool.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Lyle is definitely a big Collings fan - I believe he comissioned a number of very early Collings from Bill.

If I couldn't have my Gibsons, I'd have a Collings. I may just have one someday.

Tunes, you have a great collection of guitars there!

If I couldn't have my Gibsons' date=' I'd have a Collings. I may just have one someday.

Tunes, you have a great collection of guitars there!

[/quote']

GG I have had 4 Collings CJs DA1s great guitars ! Perfect workmanship !

"But" I gave them all up for (1) Kevin Kopp K 35 [biggrin]

If we ever get together again or if you ever come south to Spokane you have to play mine.

Just amazeing !

IMG_2140.jpg

IMG_2143.jpg

IMG_2138.jpg

GG I have had 4 Collings CJs DA1s great guitars ! Perfect workmanship !

"But" I gave them all up for (1) Kevin Kopp K 35 [biggrin]

If we ever get together again or if you ever come south to Spokane you have to play mine.

Just amazeing !

IMG_2140.jpg

IMG_2143.jpg

IMG_2138.jpg

I can't imagine giving up the Collingses but I know you really liked the KOPP. As for get-togethers' date=' never say never, Subu! I think I'm heading west in April for Mark Knopfler in Vancouver, but who knows what travels I will see after that?

I think I may have found a website that airs the ACL episodes, but the most recent show isn't up yet. Here's the website.....

http://video.pbs.org/program/1273976454/#page

UPDATE: The LL/GC/JH/JE show is up!

I saw them in Portland 2-3 years ago, I was able to wander up toward the stage before the show started and check out the guitars which were sitting there on stands, just waiting. Lyle played an AJ that night, John a J-200, Guy one of his own - a slot-head smallbody. Don't remember about Joe's, except it was black.

Thanks for posting that.

Austin City Limits has always been one of the best live programs on TV regardless of what type of music is being played or the notoriety (or lack of notoriety) of the artist. It was the first time I had ever seen zydeco music played. Nice.

It was the first time I had ever seen zydeco music played. Nice.

C.J. Chenier? I've got that on tape somewhere.

Taylor T-5:

T5_Standard_black_IMG_4750.JPG

First time I saw Joe Ely was on ACL. I think he was playing a turquoise Newman solid body. That was '86. Saw him again on ACL in '90. I think he was playing a Washburn or something. Cutaway, oval soundhole, you know, 1990 stuff. Somewhere along the line I saw him playing a 40s or 50s J45, all beat to crap. It was beautiful.

Thanks for the post, KS. I've been wanting to catch this tour for years. Some day, ...

A few years ago, I did spend the afternoon chatting with Guy Clark and passing a guitar back and forth (in Nato Lima's apartment!!). A brilliant and understated fellow, imho.

With%20Guy2.jpg

well, I don't know how I can present myself as a serious acoustic musician after I admit the following:

I never watched ACL before.

Wow.

I watched the Pearl Jam first, then some Elvis Costello, then some unknowns, and finally, the episode mentioned in this post (the full episode is now up). this was by far the most exciting for me personally, the intimacy of the singer/songwriter... these guys are awesome, Guy Clark my new hero. What a fine example he sets...

Archived