Gibson Brands Forums

Getting in shape

Silenced Fred

What do you all recommend? I know, diet and exercise. Working on that. I have finally put my mind forward and this time, I'm going to do it. Weather is getting nicer, so more bikerides, eating better, and all that stuff. I figure I have been depressed lately, and I will probably feel better if I lose some weight. I'm not obese, but I'm fat.

Any things in particular you would say to do?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I run it out' date=' 6 miles and I'm happy no matter what happened. Excersize releases endorphins and man does it feel good.

Run.... thats the base of my workout.[/quote']

[thumbdn]

I....hate....running....

Bikes [biggrin] but I hate running. Sigh, but I will have to sometimes on my treadmill.

[thumbdn]

I....hate....running....

Bikes [biggrin] but I hate running. Sigh' date=' but I will have to sometimes on my treadmill.[/quote']

I love biking too, unfortunatley here I cant exactly do it all year round.

In the summer, I'll go on 3 hours long bikerides just for the hell of it. It's easy on the knees too, running however.... [biggrin]

I love biking too' date=' unfortunatley here I cant exactly do it all year round.

In the summer, I'll go on 3 hours long bikerides just for the hell of it. It's easy on the knees too, running however.... [thumbdn

I was rough on my knees as a kid. I think I might have done some stupid stuff and hurt em. Anything more than a mile and a half of running is hell. Biking is my thing though, over the summer, I can go forever, and usually do.

I have a super sh¡tty metabolism though, but I'm really gonna have to work on that.

I was rough on my knees as a kid. I think I might have done some stupid stuff and hurt em. Anything more than a mile and a half of running is hell. Biking is my thing though' date=' over the summer, I can go forever, and usually do.

I have a super ****ty metabolism though, but I'm really gonna have to work on that.[/quote']

Heck when I started really going at it I could barely go a mile, now I can go 7 in an hour..... Dont put running in the closet so soon.

Proper dietary habits are key.

I've found that certain subtle things can make large differences--for instance, sugar-sweetened soft drinks are primarily "empty calories," and to us hefty guys that tends to mean some trouble. I don't know about you, but I know that once I stopped drinking soft drinks I made particularly impressive improvements. The loss of the so-called "empty calories" doesn't have to be replaced or supplanted as far as I know, because I've honestly been feeling better than ever since I made the dietary change.

It's also important, simply from a health-conscious perspective, to avoid refined grains--whole grains provide dietary fiber, improve insulin sensitivity, lowers LDL and triglyceride levels, and has been consistently linked to improved cardiovascular and gastrointestinal condition. Also, try to eat slowly, because there's a difference between feeling "full," so to speak, and getting necessary amounts of nutrients, and it's considered conventional wisdom that eating slowly improves feelings of "fullness," and I've found overall that this is usually true.

I don't need to tell you to stop drinking alcohol because you don't strike me as the type of person with a drinking problem (and I believe that at 17, any amount of drinking is a drinking problem.)

Also, even if you hate running, it may help to at least walk more than usual. Walking more has done wonders for me. I walk to school in the morning, and home from school in the afternoon every day. Leisurely walks provide relaxing and enjoyable bookends to my day.

With all of these practices outlined, I managed, early on, to lose ten pounds within two weeks--I'm not kidding. I was worried at first, but my primary care physician told me that this is fine within the first two weeks, and my weight loss rate has since then came down to a more normal level (2-3 pounds on a good week.) Be that as it may, results are results, and I've been seeing them, and knowing this I know that if you make the effort to help yourself you'll see results too.

That's what this is about: helping yourself.

It's self-preservation, more than anything else.

I don't know about your dietary habits or your lifestyle, but I'm assuming that it's probably fairly similar to mine. I hope my suggestions help, and I hope that you find more suggestions that can also help.

Weight loss is hard--I'm not going to bullsh!t you about it--but it certainly isn't impossible. Small, subtle changes and a fair amount of self-control can provide frankly indisputable results. If you stick with it (and it took me about two or three other false starts before now) you're probably going to end up healthier because of it. It's only when your lifestyle is extreme when you begin to see problems--whether it's too much food and not enough exercise, too much exercise and not enough food, too much heroin and not enough anything else ([thumbdn] ,) or whatever. What you'll see is that balance, moderation and restraint are the essential practices in maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

Good luck.

-Jon.

Reduce caloric intake by reducing portion size. Reduce starch (carbohydrates) intake by avoiding potatoes, bread and rice, and if you must eat carbs, make sure they are whole grains. Cut out sugars if possible. Splenda is an excellent substitute. Sweets made from stevia are excellent. Make exercising more fun by chasing some type of ball.

In short, do what Xdemon said.

XDemon- Yup. So far my plan is this: Lower carbs, like try to cut most out such as rice, bread, potatoes, pasta, etc. No more soda, greasy foods are out. I'm planning on grilling a lot more, more vegetables, salads with light dressing, or just mustard and vinegar (it actually isn't that bad).

Breakfast: Whole grain cereal and skim milk

Snack: Fruit

Lunch: Salad

Dinner: grilled lean meats or the sort and veggies

Gonna try to ride a bike or jog for at least 30 min a day, and then alternate workouts

XDemon- Yup. So far my plan is this: Lower carbs' date=' like try to cut most out such as rice, bread, potatoes, pasta, etc. No more soda, greasy foods are out. I'm planning on grilling a lot more, more vegetables, salads with light dressing, or just mustard and vinegar (it actually isn't that bad).

Gonna try to ride a bike or jog for at least 30 min a day, and then alternate workouts

[/quote']

That sounds like it'll do it, man!

If you ever need someone to talk to or someone to keep you on track, feel free to shoot me a PM.

That sounds like it'll do it' date=' man!

If you ever need someone to talk to or someone to keep you on track, feel free to shoot me a PM.[/quote']

Thanks man, will do. I have already built up a support group of my friends to keep on me in case i start to falter.

I'll let ya know though

XDemon- Yup. So far my plan is this: Lower carbs' date=' like try to cut most out such as rice, bread, potatoes, pasta, etc. No more soda, greasy foods are out. I'm planning on grilling a lot more, more vegetables, salads with light dressing, or just mustard and vinegar (it actually isn't that bad).

[/quote']

I stopped eating lunch during school days.. [thumbdn]

Its worked for 2 years so far...

I stopped eating lunch during school days.. [thumbdn]

I pretty much have as well, but I believe its better to eat a couple of smaller meals throughout the day, at least that's what I've heard.... I will have to start

That sounds like it'll do it' date=' man!

If you ever need someone to talk to or someone to keep you on track, feel free to shoot me a PM.[/quote']

Same here, I may come off as an idiot but I do know something.

I stopped eating lunch during school days.. [crying]

Thats unhealthy, just eat smaller meals. My lunch is two water bottles and a sandwich. Breakfast? Cereal and water...

recurring theme... drink lots (but not too much) H20. Too much and the salt levels in your blood will become too low and it causes nausea lightheadedness etc...

Harden up.

Do you want to get fit or don't you? Running is free - no gym fees' date=' no equipment, just get out there and do it.[/quote']

I have a bike, both stationary and a regular one to ride outiside. Rather do those than running. thanks for reading

Running burns carbs....

Walking burns fat...

If you hate running, then don't, you'll find excuses to not to anyway.

Stay away from the three white devils...refined sugar, salt, and refined flour.

All fast food is bad.

3,500 calories = 1 pound.

Drop 250 calories a day from exercise. A one hour brisk walk does the job easily.

Cut 250 calories a day from your diet.

500 less calories a day, 3,500 a week

4 pounds a month, 48 pounds a year

just like saving money

Running burns carbs....

Walking burns fat...

If you hate running' date=' then don't, you'll find excuses to not to anyway.

Stay away from the three white devils...refined sugar, salt, and refined flour.

All fast food is bad.

3,500 calories = 1 pound.

Drop 250 calories a day from exercise. A one hour brisk walk does the job easily.

Cut 250 calories a day from your diet.

500 less calories a day, 3,500 a week

4 pounds a month, 48 pounds a year

just like saving money

[/quote']

Sweet breakdown Rocky!

I've printed it out. It's now on the wall next to my bed. [biggrin]

Though I am not knocking anyone that runs, I also know that running is incredibly hard on about every joint in the body - espeicially if you are over weight. Walking with appropriate shoes can serve nearly as good of a purpose but swimming is the best thing you can do. Zero impact - unless you misjudge the end of the pool! [biggrin] Hate it when that happens!

Also, one mistake we are historically notorious for is eating large evening meals. I try to make my evening meal the lightest of the day saving up for special occasions - birthdays, anniversaries, etc. And as others have mentioned, it's better to eat 5-6 times per day with much smaller portions than the traditional 3 large meals.

The hardest things are the no sugar and low fat parts since sweet - fatty foods are the ones that taste good! But, as a hypoglycemic, I know from experience that eliminating sugar from my diet made a WORLD of difference in the way I felt/feel. And, you will eliminate food cravings by eliminating the large blood sugar - insulin rollercoaster.

Good luck . . .

I work out every morning at school. I have weight lifting class for zero period.

We run a lap to get started and then head over to the weight room. I mainly curl, bench, do pull-ups, sit-ups with a 45 on my chest, and sometimes some other stuff... Lol. We run the mile on Fridays and then go back to the weight room after running.

It wakes me up before school.

I'm really skinny and I build muscle really easily. And I eat a ton of food and watch tv and play guitar all day. I guess I just have those kind of genes.

I would never work out if I wasn't in that class.

Okay....

At one time in my life - or should I call it "another life" - I did this sorta thing for money.

1. Decide what your goals are. Is it losing weight, gaining weight or learning a lifetime "sport?" Or aerobic ability? What really do you want to DO instead of just daydreaming about?

2. Be realistic as to what you want, but realize that there are potentials inside you for physical ability that you can't possibly imagine if you do things correctly.

3. I know, I know... the "diet" thing is a big deal. Has been for ages. At age 28 I went on a typical "oriental" diet with lots of fish and rice and started working out at martial arts more heavily again at roughly 10-12 hours a week of full-bore training. I went from 185 to 165 and I've been roughly there ever since, eating whatever I feel like. I've a hunch genetics didn't hurt, but... I've trained a lot harder, I've trained a lot less since then. Physically, anyway.

4. Again, what do you really like doing in terms of "physical activity?" Hiking with a day pack? Running until you're "high?" Weights? Racquet sports? Bottom line, if you enjoy doing something, it's not something you do, it's something you are. It may not even bring the bod you like to imagine yourself having, but it's gotta be "you."

5. Recognize that you'll get frustrated by things not going as you figured they would. Losing fat while exercising can actually at times increase weight because muscle weighs more than fat. Or - figure the reverse. Your genetics can be overcome, but it may or may not be long-term or even healthy for you personally.

6. No matter what "exercise" you do, if you're not doing it with geometrically correct joint movement, you'll damage yourself. Muscle strength increases rapidly but connective tissue strength doesn't - so be careful not to max out the muscles for the first two or three years. 80 percent ended up as my "rule."

7. You're right, young people tend to do things with sufficiently incorrect technique that connective tissue is damaged. OTOH, a lotta "trainers" and enthusiastic "weekend athletes" encourage going to the max. I've seen too much of that end up with damaged body parts.

8. There are a thousand other rules but think of this: If you don't get a kick out of it, it ain't gonna work; everybody's metabolism and physical geometry is different.

9. Finally, beware of showing off to yourself. It's easy to know not to show off to others; it's hard not to show off to yourself... even when the rational "you" should tell you that you shouldn't keep doing "X" that increasingly hurts.

m

Archived