Gibson Brands Forums

Pics, Pics, Pics!

ledzep59

As promised, here are some pics of my R9 Rachel with the double-creme Sheptones I installed myself. I just wanted to brag a little bit because I was impressed with myself for wiring up these 4-conductor pups with the Page wiring (4 push/pull pots) and not screwing anything up. I only burnt myself twice with the soldering iron and there were no mishaps or mistakes, and most importantly, no damage to Rachel. Also included some "before" pics with the seymour duncans and some pics of my new egnater rebel 30. Enjoy!

Before:P1090001.jpg

After:P3120044.jpg

Before:P1090005.jpg

After:P3120050.jpg

Good things come in pairs!

P3120058.jpg

Double your fun!

P3120062-1.jpg

what is your reason for changing pups mate?

Well I had a few reasons:

1. wanted pups that were not wax potted so I can play with controlled feedback/microphonics

2. wanted the double-cremes

3. I couldn't get a lot of the honk, chirp, etc. that one hears with original PAF recordings with the Duncan 59's

4. the very low end on the neck Duncan pickup sounded a little muddy

5. I am always chasing tone!

Well I had a few reasons:

1. wanted pups that were not wax potted so I can play with controlled feedback/microphonics

2. wanted the double-cremes

3. I couldn't get a lot of the honk' date=' chirp, etc. that one hears with original PAF recordings with the Duncan 59's

4. the very low end on the neck Duncan pickup sounded a little muddy

5. I am always chasing tone![/quote']

fair enough, hope it sound as good as i looks :-&

Good job...!! Looks great. I liked the way it looked before though too... very Jimmy page. And that Egnator has built in reverb! I have a the Rebel 20 no built in reverb :-(

Ya that was one of the reasons I wanted the 30- the other main reason was the two channels.

But yes, it does play and sound as good as it looks!

I know EXACTLY what you mean when you're talking about the feedback you get from pickups that aren't wax potted.

I recently changed the bridge pickup on my SG from a 498t to an uncovered BB3. The BB3 is not wax potted and it gets amazing harmonic feedback. I haven't heard even a hint of microphonic squealing even with my ac30 cranked way up.

The tone from the new pickup is great. My friends were all praising the tone so I know it's not just me. It has a nice "open" tone.

I loved how your LP looked before. It reminded me of Jimmy Page. But I have a major soft spot for double crémes. Especially on LPs and SGs.

That's a beautiful guitar, man. Congrats on that one.

I like the looks of the double cream better than the Page-setup. This is by looks only, I have no clue about the tonal differences.

Hope you enjoy. I'm envious. It sure is purdy!

It has a nice "open" tone.

I know exactly what you're talking about. You can hear so many subtleties which really allows you a greater range of tonal possibilities that you can control with your fingers. Just by playing, picking, attacking, etc. differently the pickups can get an array of sounds coming into with no wax to filter/impede the sound. They sound like an "uncaged animal" while my seymour duncans that were potted sounded more like "controlled demolition". Everything really just chimes and rings more. I can "hear the wood" and get rich harmonics/overtones that the duncans would not pickup. All of the cliche descriptions of the PAF sound are there: the honk, the chirp, the click...I have not tried a lot of PAF replicas, and I have never played original PAFs, but these Sheptones really did it for me (neck is a Blue Sky, bridge is AB custom).

I don't think I have seen an SG with double-cremes. Sounds pretty cool.

Did you wrap her with something before you started the surgery?

No I just put down some cardboard to catch any solder that dripped around the guitar and laid the guitar on a couple towels. I did singe the wires and sides of the control cavity a couple times, but nothing major. The guy I bought the guitar from actually had burnt a small spot next to the control cavity before I got it, which was one of the reasons I got such a good deal on her- $3k (and that was back in 2006 before the market dumped out). I just made sure to be extremely focused, precise, and careful.

No I just put down some cardboard to catch any solder that dripped around the guitar and laid the guitar on a couple towels. I did singe the wires and sides of the control cavity a couple times' date=' but nothing major. The guy I bought the guitar from actually had burnt a small spot next to the control cavity before I got it, which was one of the reasons I got such a good deal on her- $3k (and that was back in 2006 before the market dumped out). I just made sure to be extremely focused, precise, and careful.[/quote']

When you singe the wood inside the control cavity doesn't it smell amazing? That burning mahogany smells so sweet.

Archived