Gibson Brands Forums

You can tune a guitar but you can't tuna fish...all about tunings.

outforblood

So, it's a rainy *** day and I'm sitting here playing around with tuning my SG from E standard to Eb seeing which I like better...I think Eb is working for me. Why? Better bends, and when I decide to drop the E string (I'm using Hybrid Slinkys btw)it now becomes a C# instead of D, which is a bit heavier but not as loose and noodley like playing in C. So..what do you SG players tune to out there and why?

I usually tune 1/2 step low, but we've always done that for the vocalists sake, half step makes a big difference in hitting those high notes! Plus a LOT of the covers we play are 1/2 low (Alice in Chains e.g.)

yeah, i like 1/2 step down on my other guitars, but it doesnt feel right on my sg

It is the BEST tuning for a cheap accoustic to make it sound better.... and for playing its a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll on my filtertron equipped Epi Firebird

• 2 weeks later...
I'm just now starting to rock the slide and have been fooling around with open D and G tunings also....quite fun.

A half step-down sounds more "Familiar" to me, maybe just the kind of music I grew up listening to, and as others have noted, it's easier on the vocals.

Not to get off topic, but you said that you've been tryin' slide playin', and I've heard that some players have a certain guitar that they play slide on that has the action set higher than a guitar set-up for regular playing.

I'm not sure if this is more of a tone, sound thing, or an "action" issue, for lack of a better term, that might keep you from "fretting out" when using a slide.

Anyone have thoughts on "Slide-Playin' Action" setups?

Archived