Gibson Brands Forums

gibson les paul standard or ibanez steve vai jem 7v

Rocker Ass

No way Gibson is the ONLY choice.

Ever played a high-end Ibanez? You'd have to spend over $10,000 on a Gibson to reach that build quality. Those particular Japanese luthiers take immense pride in their work.

:) Does Ibanez make a Les Paul Standard?

I thought the lawsuits put a stop to all that back in the seventies - at least in Japan.

:)

My point is that the guitars are very different.

I know Ibanez makes some great stuff, but it's apples/oranges.

What do you WANT?

I'm guessing the Les Paul guys (like in the Gibson forum) will recommend a Les Paul.

Go to the Ibanez forum, I doubt you'll hear anybody compare a Les Paul favorably to "their" guitar.

I'm sure you'll see "low-end" Ibanez guys willing to put their $200 treasure up against any Gibson made.

"My (Insert Chinese piece of sh!t here) is 100 times better than those overpriced junky American guitars!"

Perspective is everything.

And a player who doesn't have the decision sealed in his head should probably save his money.

Or do as I have, and buy one of everything - problem solved.

:)[cool]

Ever played a high-end Ibanez? You'd have to spend over $10' date='000 on a Gibson to reach that build quality. Those particular Japanese luthiers take immense pride in their work.

[/quote']

I agree. A high end Ibanez is an amazing instrument. It could easily go toe to toe with any guitar

on the market.

Hi' date=' guys I was wondering which is more worthwhile to buy a Gibson Les Paul Standard or a ibanez steve vai jem 7v?[/quote']

Hi Rocker ***,

I get the feeling that this is not a serious question, I mean posting here is hardly likely to get you an unbiased answer, you wouldn’t seriously expect one in that same way that you wouldn’t get or expect one in an Ibanez forum.

(I don’t think so at any rate)

But just in case you are being serious then perhaps this bit of advice will help.

With guitars just like most other things in life, you reach a point of diminishing returns, i.e.

a £2000 guitar may well be 10 times better than a £200 guitar, however a £3000 guitar will almost certainly be no better than a £2000 guitar in either build quality or components.

therefore it really should be about personal preference and choice.

The Jem and LPs are roughly the same cost in money and are equal in quality (build and components) so like everyone else here will consistently advise you, play them both and use your own judgment, you are the one playing it and you are the one spending the cash on it therefore you should be the one that makes the decision.

One caveat I would like to add is that as far as I am aware, the gibbo will almost certainly hold its 2nd hand value better than the Jem, this should not really influence you when buying such an expensive instrument as you should be buying it to keep, but it is worth taking into consideration if you think you may not be investing in it for the long run.

Let us know what you decide, and post some pics[biggrin]

The Jem and LPs are roughly the same cost in money and are equal in quality (build and components)

Depends what LP you're talking about. If it's a custom shop model, then yes. A regular USA standard, then no.

Depends what LP you're talking about. If it's a custom shop model' date=' then yes. A regular USA standard, then no.[/quote']

Hi mcmurray

Actually you’ll probably be surprised to hear that I totally agree with you as I have Japanese guitars that blow my Gibbo’s out of the water in every way, build and quality of components, looks and finish, however when it comes down to it, that will always be considered to be purely personal opinion.

And where Les Pauls are concerned, if the les Paul had a warped neck 1 pick up missing and no frets or jack plug input socket you would still have people argue that the LP was better than the Jap guitar, just because it is, - no other reason offered!.

So, in the spirit of fairness I suggested that a Jem and a standard LP are equal in build quality, that way if he demo’s them side by side he should be able to make up his own mind whether that’s a true statement or not.

Plus, if I were to say that he’d need to spend x-amount of thousands extra on the Gibbo to get the same quality as the jem then that would be just the same as saying buy the jem which I would never do as it really should be his decision.

[blink]

Btw, just had a thought as I was posting this, that you may actually be talking about 2nd hand value, if so, then I don’t know - I can only guess from what I see on eBay and the like, and would have to say that as far as I can tell the Gibbo will deffo hold its value better.

Regs, Upl8tr.

Archived