Gibson Brands Forums

Pick One

Rocky4

I'll take great songwriting over great musicianship any day. Good guitar players are a dime a dozen. The ability to write music is a true gift.

Very true!!! Too many so called "artists" couldn't write a tune if their life depended on it. But strip 'em of most of their clothing, shove 'em in front of a mic with a click track in the background and they're "stars" Ah it's all just BS!

I don't like "Bad" playing of any sort. A "Good" Song may be a good song, but will be ruined by Poor Playing. Is it too much to ask that a Songwriter learn their instrument, as well.

The moniker of "Song Writer" should not preclude the possibility of Virtuosity. In fact, a good Songwriter will turn his work over to a Good Musician if he can't pull it off.

And whoever said Good Guitarists are a Dime a Dozen has much lower standards than I do.

I guess my problem is a matter of needing to ask, "what's good?"

I have personal preferences on "good."

I've heard stuff that was very popular and... it surely ain't coming up on my radar a dozen years later.

"Three little fishies" is a true classic, imho. Ditto "happy birthday to you."

A lot has to do with a style meeting tastes of a given time - and that's true whether it's skilled or not skilled in either performance or "writing."

I think a "talented" person with extremely smooth strumming technique and perhaps only a half dozen chords can sing a song written by himself or another and sound "wonderful." Others can play guitar exceptionally well and that ability may cover imperfections either in their songwriting or their vocal skills.

Sometimes a horrid voice can make great art, if it's on key...

So again... what's good? Lotza notes? Or a tight, coherent, well-timed bit of art painted in sound over time that may be technique supposedly from beginner lesson 4, but extremely well performed...????

m

I'd rather hear the Sex Pistols over....

Joe Satriani

Gary Moore

Steve Vai

Buckethead

The beauty of rock music is that all it takes are good ideas. Plug a guitar in a Marshall, turn it to 10, and hit an A chord, and you're half way there.

I'd rather hear the Sex Pistols over....

Joe Satriani

Gary Moore

Steve Vai

Buckethead

The beauty of rock music is that all it takes are good ideas. Plug a guitar in a Marshall' date=' turn it to 10, and hit an A chord, and you're half way there. [/quote']

It's funny you should pick Satriani and Vai as examples, they are extreme Song Writers. They write stuff that compares to Wagner of Chopin, or maybe the Contemporaries would be a better example. They write the Heck out of songs.

The Sex Pistols? Teen Angst never really turned me on, even when I was a teen. When I think of Good Songwriting I think Leon Russell, Carole King, Bob Dylan, Rush, Chuck Berry.....folks with clever lyrics and a sense of music. They all happen to be good at their instruments.

I'll take great songwriting over great musicianship any day. Good guitar players are a dime a dozen. The ability to write music is a true gift.

Couldn't agree with you more... I was always amazed how a classical piano player could sit down and play the most complicated concherto but couldn't write his own music... Take away the papers and blank....

It's a hard choice. I would say great songwriting but if you are a horrible guitar player' date=' you can't play the amazing songs you wrote.[biggrin] [/quote']

A Horrible Player couldn't write one either. Even if the best song in the world was in His/Her head it wouldn't be able to come out without some sort of Proficiency on an Instrument.

I guess my problem is a matter of needing to ask' date=' "what's good?"

I have personal preferences on "good."

I've heard stuff that was very popular and... it surely ain't coming up on my radar a dozen years later.

[/quote']

well spoken sir

Archived