Gibson Brands Forums

Officially an ES owner.. now what???

SamBooka

So I got my ES-165 today.

In fairly good shape (the dryest fingerboard I have ever seen tho.. the fret tangs are trying to poke through the binding!!)

It is a 1996. The original 490R was replaced with a Classic 57.

The guy who sold it was nice enough to put a new set of strings on it. Unfortnately.. 11s LOL

Hey.. it is the thought that counts.. right?

I usually use 14s. Anyone forsee any issue with putting strings that heavy on?

I dont think it is an issue.. but open to second opinions [biggrin]

Drew

um... celebrate?!?!?!?

seriously though, congratulations on a fine guitar.

14's might require a slight truss rod tweak, but probably ok once it's set up.

<--- I had that one in my avatar PLEK'd and setup with 12's. I could see 13's for sure.

let's see some pics!

The guitar will be fine with 14's, but it will take a pretty thorough setup, truss rod, bridge height, etc. It may take a little while to get it "dialed in", be patient., then ENJOY.

Congrats on the new guitar.

Pics!!!!!

Might want to try oiling the board, then put a humidifier device in the case to swell the board a bit. That will stop the fret sprout popping the binding. I'm in a relatively dry environment year round and this has helpe my guitars immensely. Stops "S" warping, fret sprout, cracks, etc. I just use small Tupperware containers that will fit in the case somewhere, drill them full of holes and put some sponge inside 'em. Keep the sponge damp, not dripping wet. Takes a few weeks but the guitar will love you for it.

(Damn, I shoulda bought one 'o them 165s back when they were cheap!)

Tomorrow the TI 14s go on. I was looking at the reciept the original owner had for the pickup "upgrade" They put a classic 57 PLUS in the neck.. odd. I havent really put it through its paces so we will see.

Oiling the FB is a must. Good point about the humidifier with the case . I have never had to do that before but then again I have never seen a fingerboard so dry Cactii are sprouting around the 16th fret!! [biggrin]

Tomorrow I will take pics. Thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

Drew

Got a good tube amp?

If not' date=' you'll kick yourself when you discover what you've been missing...

:-k

Congrats on the guitar![/quote']

I was lucky. Before the internet took off (so early 90s) I got the amp bug. No shortage of tube amps here.

I picked up most of them for a song (usually busted) and just never sold them off. (well a few, but only regret selling the blackface non-rev Princeton and the Blonde Bassman)

Here she is. Used but not too abused.

fatandlittle.jpg

Fat Man and Little Boy.

Got the new strings on it.. TI 14s.. not so sure tho. Will have to experiment again.

Trussrod is good.. intonation is close enough for govt work.. ditto for the pickup height. Havent checked that the 14s fit properly into the nut yet.. that is for tomorrow. I would like to actually PLAY today lol.

This is a 96. Were the 90s a good time for gibson?

The guitar never has had any fretwork but you can see where there are still grind marks above to 14th fret. Took me a couple of minutes to polish them out. Should have been done at the factory tho.

There is a gash in the top where the post for the TOM has gone through the bridge. Two reasons for this:

1) They drilled all the way through the bridge for the posts.I have two other archtop bridges on my desk right now (a gotoh and a stock epi). Neither are drilled through the bridge. this

2)To make matters worse (actually probable the cause of the gash) the post were hacked off but not ground smooth.I pulled them out and ground them down since I am more used to moving the entire bridge than using a TOM. Still, kinda sloppy on Gibbys part.

Last beef (I promise). The neck pickup was replaced with a Classic 57 PLUS. How do I know? I have the original reciept.

Otherwise there is no way to tell what pickup is in there. I just says Patent Applied for.

Thanks to everyone who provided info and guided me on this purchase :) I really appreciate it. Despite my *****ings I think this will be a great guitar :)

+1 on that, very nice couple.enjoy them. There are different theories about 90's production at Gibson. I have a '91 ES 335 and a '95 Studio, both of which are excellent guitars. I guess it's like every other ear with in the last 20 years, hit or miss. Congrats on the new lady.

I havent plugged it in yet. I was talking to Jason Lollar when shopping for a P90 for my Epi.

He actually recommended something a little overwound for the neck pickup on a jazz box.

On a Les Paul for rock/blues you would want to balance the output and make the bridge a little hotter.

Drew,

I wasn't going to say anything about pickups until you had a chance to enjoy the 165 as is but as the thread has headed this way....

I could not get any joy from the 57 Classics fitted to my 2002 ES345, whereas the pickups in the '66 ES345 that I previously owned (unloaded because of the anorexic neck) allowed me to get a great jazz tone - maybe it was the timber and the age too - who knows.

Oddly enough, it wasn't long before I received a divine signal, in the form of a critical failure in the tone circuit, that the pickups in the 2002 should be replaced, at which point I got my favourite winder to do his thing.

RN

Beautiful!

Sounds like a pretty hot pickup for a hollow guitar' date=' eh?

[/quote']

I don't consider the 57 classic plus a hot pickup at all... I wouldn't be surprised if it sounds really good in the neck position... I find it odd it was put there... But then again I am always surprised how certain persons creativity can lead to a tone certain persons would prefer...

I find it odd it was put there... But then again I am always surprised how certain persons creativity can lead to a tone certain persons would prefer...

Yeah.. well. I think the guy who did it took it to the shop and said "Go to town"! Maybe the tech at the shop had a clue. These days I am not so sure [lol]

I would oil the fretboard with FretDoctor. I would also get that guitar in a room with a humidifier. If the frets are protruding like you're describing, it sounds like it's dried out quite a bit. Once it absorbs some moisture and gets back in the 40-60% humidity range, the neck should expand back to normal.

Congrats on a great looking ES!

Thanks Guitarfish.

I think just getting it home is helping the moisture content in the wood.

I also use lemon oil on the fingerboard. MUCH better but.. a little wipe when I change the strings for the next year will get it back up to snuff.

This guitar would have been made in Memphis, right?

This guitar would have been made in Memphis, right?

Mine is a 96 but was made in Nashville. From looking at the picture you posted mine could be the twin sister of yours. When I purchased it it had black top hat knobs but I changed them to the speed knobs. I have been thinking of switching back to the top hats. Either way the lady has an elegant look. Congratulations.

Archived