Gibson Brands Forums

Herd Issues

Hoss

So I finally decided to sell off some guitars-- I don't play these three that much, and I have several other guitars that I can't keep my hands off. So thin the herd and put some money in the old Guitar Fund, Right? Right???

Last night a bud comes by to pick some and grabs one of the guitars on the block-- a 1930 Gibson L-4 roundhole. Maybe it's his touch, or the pick (a Blue Chip), but that guitar really sounded amazing. I never sit across from it, so this was an eye opener. :-$ He's stunned- I'm stunned. And I can't believe I have it for sale.

So now I'm thinking of putting the quabash on the whole thing- or at least the L-4!

This is not the first time this has happened, either. Guess I've got to start buying crappy guitars or something besides old Gibsons. [wink]

Hoss, I understand what you are going through......I can sympathize.....It is a WHOLE other world when the same guitar gets played back to you.....so many guitars...so little time.....lol...so little cash......I had to laugh at that "Guitar fund" that thing burns a hole in my pocket EVERY TIME!!!!

I've got a dinning room in my house - wood floors, nothing soft on the walls or the floor and "side panel" drapes (not very much material - thanks wifey). When I play my acoustics in that room, I can really "hear" them - almost as good as sitting in front of someone else playing them. Whenever I start to wonder about the sound of one of my guitars, I play in there and it's a completely different experience. The hard surfaces bounce most of the sound back at you. Really nice clarity.

I can relate to this. I used to love it when my ex boyfriend would play my guitar. And he was soooooo good. He too liked it when I played his guitar, even tho' I'm not very good. He had (has) a maple Thompson, very pretty sounding thing. He used to do industrial electrical work, very labour-intensive, and would often be away for weeks on end. When he'd come home, I'd spoil him, which meant pouring him a really hot bath with bubbles (his choice), putting candles in the bathroom (lights out), big bottle of wine, and me sitting on the floor of the bathroom playing HIS guitar for him. Those were fun days.

Anyway, nothing beats hearing your own guitar played back to you.

p.s. Hoss, I always wondered how to spell the word quabosh! [crying]

I can relate to this. I used to love it when my ex boyfriend would play my guitar. And he was soooooo good. He too liked it when I played his guitar' date=' even tho' I'm not very good. He had (has) a maple Thompson, very pretty sounding thing. He used to do industrial electrical work, very labour-intensive, and would often be away for weeks on end. When he'd come home, I'd spoil him, which meant pouring him a really hot bath with bubbles (his choice), putting candles in the bathroom (lights out), big bottle of wine, and me sitting on the floor of the bathroom playing HIS guitar for him. Those were fun days.

[/quote']

Sounds like he was a fool to let you get away.....

I can relate to this. I used to love it when my ex boyfriend would play my guitar. And he was soooooo good. He too liked it when I played his guitar' date=' even tho' I'm not very good. He had (has) a maple Thompson, very pretty sounding thing. He used to do industrial electrical work, very labour-intensive, and would often be away for weeks on end. When he'd come home, I'd spoil him, which meant pouring him a really hot bath with bubbles (his choice), putting candles in the bathroom (lights out), big bottle of wine, and me sitting on the floor of the bathroom playing HIS guitar for him. Those were fun days.

Anyway, nothing beats hearing your own guitar played back to you.

p.s. Hoss, I always wondered how to spell the word quabosh! [biggrin

Hope you removed all the material that could absorbe the sound from the guitar in the bathroom...you know...towels, curtains, clothing, shower curtains, clothing..... you know...anything not needed.

Hope you removed all the material that could absorbe the sound from the guitar in the bathroom...you know...towels' date=' curtains, clothing, shower curtains, clothing..... you know...anything not needed.[/quote']

Subtle Bob, real subtle LOL!

Okay, back to the original topic (sorry Hoss)....

this is why we play in bathrooms... to hear our own guitars.

Hoss, what guitars are you selling, besides the L-4 that you're kinda sorta waffling on? :-

You all are naughty.

<grin>

All kidding aside' date=' I think bathrooms are one place I've never played any of my guitars.

m

[/quote']

I actually HAVE played my guitars in my bathroom...but not for the acoustics....just something to pass the time......

Rob...

Hmmmm....

And I always thought it was the reading room. <grin>

Ah, well. I tend to agree Karen would be a definite "catch" whether as a girlfriend or simply a good friend were one to live in her neighborhood.

But... I'm not kidding, I'd not take my guitars into a place where there's loads of water. Heck, back in the olden days when I had a boat, I didn't even put one on the boat - and the boat even had a nice enclosed cabin.

I think Sun used a tiled staircase for reverb in '50s recordings, as I recall in the olden days.

m

Archived